close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

25 auto triple threat!

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Trigger Finger, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

I know most of you think the .25 ACP is much too underpowered to be a legitimate self defense caliber!

I think the same way, however I must confess that on hot days, 100+, I have carried my 25 Beretta Jetfire. Mostly I just use it as a backup for my CCW Glock 27.

For what it's worth the fictional James Bond carried a Beretta 418 in the first five novels that Fleming wrote. Whenever he was forced to use his 25 auto Bond ALWAYS double taped his opponent. It was replaced by his Walther not due to stopping power but because it jammed on him. Fleming also carried a 25 auto during his years as a high level member of British Navel Intelligence and armed Bond with what he carried, I don't think he actually shot anyone with it however.

My question is, do you consider a double tap with a 25 auto in the 9 or 10 ring at about 10 feet to be a viable self defense weapon?

How about a TRIPLE tap?

I think this gun would be a viable stopper if used at 10 or 12 feet into the 9 or 10 ring!! I would really like to have one for my collection. Yes, I am aware of the paper work involved and the rarity of this gun but I would love to add it to my collection. BUT, I would have to shoot it a couple of times a year. What do you think?

http://www.guns.com/2012/05/10/pistola-con-caricato-18-shot-revolver/

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Trigger Finger, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. frankmako

frankmako
    Expand Collapse

back many mango seasons ago when i worked in the florida keys i carried the jetfire as my "bug" while on and off duty in my back pocket. i have seen what a 25 acp round can do. so for me if i dump a full mag into the bad guy i feel that it will do what i want it to do, stop the problem. now any small pocket gun is not made for a tv gun fight, but for every normal day the 25 acp, 32 acp, and/or 380 will do what you want it to.

3. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Very cool revolver

The 25ACP is a poor performer though. I'd actually rather carry a good 22LR.

4. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

I think it is truly a "one of a kind" revolver and has a 3 inch barrel for a little more velocity. I have heard and read in several places by so called experts or very knowledgeable people that the 25ACP is actually slightly more powerful then a 22 LR when used in a 2 or 3 inch barrel.
    Also I believe that the 25 would be considerably more reliable due to the centerfire primer compared to a rimfire 22. You would not be shooting these guns allot so ammo cost would be a non issue.
    You can also get the 25 in several types of bullets, most common and widely used is a true Full Metal Jacket compared to a 22 LR that you can only get as a lead bullet or lead with a small hole in the middle. Not that it is going to expand but a Full Metal Jacket will at least penetrate further!

#4 Trigger Finger, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

The only chrono work I ever did with .25acp was from a Melior pistol shooting 35gr xtps. They were much lower velocity than 40gr solids in a High Standard D100 Derringer. The derringer did have a slightly longer barrel(s) though....but 200 fps favoring the .22lr with plinking ammo....
    Still, I think the .25 may do better than that generally, it's a very old pistol.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1527252

#5 Berto, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  6. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

Berto, it must have been the old pistol you used or perhaps the ammunition because I tested my Beretta 950 several years ago and my results were much better then yours.

Winchester 50 grain FMJ......MV 852 fps
    Remington 51 grain FMJ......MV 789 fps.

So I think it depends on the ammo AND the gun! But your results were interesting. Needless to say whatever results are obtained with a 25ACP or a 22LR from a short barrel they are really NOT sufficient to be regarded as adequate.

My main point is that whatever minor caliber this 18 shot revolver is, delivering 3 shots at the same instant to a suspect at close range CAN be adequate as a stopper to hostilities!

7. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

The hell with triple tap. I'd empty the whole mag on the perp's face.

8. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

Oh, I agree with you, and I need to run a few other types of ammo through the old Melior. Plenty of hostilities have been quashed by mouse guns over the years, and three at a time would be pretty compelling. Having something like that pointed my way would be poo inducing.

9. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Guy

I used to think the same thing until I actually did a side by side comparison test. Ammo I used for .22LR was CCI Mini Mag 40 grain LRN and for the .25ACP it was Winchester 50 grain FMJ. Both were fired from 2.5" barrels. It was a simple test using a 2x4 and water jugs. I fired three rounds each and was surprised that the .25ACP not only made considerably larger holes in the 2x4 but they out penetrated the .22LR. IIRC, the .25ACP bullets fully penetrated the 2x4 and penetrated two water jugs, denting the back of the second jug. With the .22LR, one bullet tumbled and curved down and jug barely penetrated the first jug. The other two were recovered in the first jug, with dents on the back.

Not a big difference, but it sure did surprise me that the .25ACP was capable of blasting through a fresh 2x4 and penetrating the equivalent of 6-8 inches of gelatin or so.

Ill admit that I occasionally carry a .22LR or .25ACP in my pocket as a back up, but if I had to pick one I would go with the .25ACP not only for "superior" performance but better reliability.

As for the revolver, that has got to be one of the strangest ones ive seen in a while!

10. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to bring this up again but here is some additional information and photos of this unique revolver.
    I would really like to have one of these. If any one knows where I can obtain one at any cost please let me know.
    This and the LAPD comorative 4506 are the only guns I would really go out of my way to get!!!!

Consider it and old retired cops last burning desire!!!!:supergrin:
    There may be a slight? finders fee!!!!

http://www.horstheld.com/0-Spain.htm
    http://www.gizmag.com/triple-barrel-revolver-surfaces/22523/
    http://www.vincelewis.net/18shot.html

#10 Trigger Finger, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  11. G29Reload

G29Reload
    Expand Collapse
    Tread Lightly

Also, this guy:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Blokhin

I think he has the record. Apparently, a fan of the round.

12. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I read about this guy!!
    The most prolific official executioner in History.
    Vasil Blokhin preferred the 25ACP over the 32ACP.

He executed 7,000 people in 1940 and this is the gun he used!!

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/WMod5/wmod5.html

13. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Guy

I remember reading about him a while ago. Its pretty crazy

14. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846
    Expand Collapse

Well any gun is better then no gun......My Beretta 25 is a Deep cover Bug, last ditch.

15. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

16. A6Gator

A6Gator
    Expand Collapse

That's a pretty cool revolver. A real museum piece. I guess the good thing about it would be if the threat was half in the bag, he'd look at the muzzle and see 6 holes...:supergrin:

On a more serious note, a 50gr .25 acp has roughly half the energy of a .22lr 40gr. So on a positive note, if you hit 'em with all three shots, it'd be a 1.5 .22lr energy hit. Probably won't rock his world, but it might dampen his enthusiasm, assuming he's not hopped up on PCP or something...:supergrin:

17. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

I think you are talking about 22lr RIFLE ballistics!!!!!
    If the 25acp and 22 lr both have a 2 and a half inch barrel the 25 is a little more powerful.

However, like I said earlier both of those calibers are sub standard unless you go for MULTIPLE hits at close range.

18. soflasmg

soflasmg
    Expand Collapse

Handgun rounds are poor manstoppers in general. With the advent of ultra small semi autos why limit yourself to .25 when you can get a .32 in the same size?

A kahr pm9 or other similar guns are not much larger.

Your .25 might kill the bad guy, but not before you he can take you with him.

19. G29Reload

G29Reload
    Expand Collapse
    Tread Lightly

True....a .22 may have killed more people than any other round....but you want em out of the fight immediately, not a week from Thursday.

Otoh...i would hate to get hit with even half a mag of stingers...or rem yellow jackets....or federal lightnings.

20. mboylan

mboylan
    Expand Collapse

Sorry. You won't get that shot in a gunfight. Most likely at close range you will get one handed shots from the hip while using the other hand to protect yourself. You may have to shoot to break his hips or try to angle your shot up. Most likely you will get gut and pelvis shots. USE ENOUGH GUN!