close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.243 what a waste.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by marvin, Dec 10, 2003.

1. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.
    i know that this carliber is real popular. but it gets on my nerves people use it on deer and elk where i think it's only good for groundhogs. yea it'll kill about anything but so will a 22 lr. as a deer gun it works best on boardside lung shots. don't hit the shoulder or you'll be chasing for a long time. lest face it it's a gun for the expert who can thread the needle with the prefect shot no margin for error for around the edges.

and no you don't need a magnum either. a .308 class gun will give you all the power you need as still be easy on the shooter to boot.

2. I'll bite.

The .243 has a flatter trajectory, good for varmits at unknown distances. Power enough for deer, granted not as much margin of error as the .308 (which itself doesn't have a much margin of error as the .300 win mag, so what's the point).

.243 does have less recoil than .308 and that might be important to some.

.22L has enormously less recoil, of course, but its range on varmits is not anything near the .243.

Conclusion?
    Pick the .308 if you want. Some others will pick the .243. Others yet will pick the .22LR. And some will pick the .300 win mag. For myself, I like the .30-06 as the all-purpose venison round.

3. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

Sep 19, 2001
    Michigan, U.S.A
    Any of my family and friends who have shot whitetails with the .243 Win swear by the round. I have personally seen what a 100gr round does to a whitetail through the ribs,shoulders, and neck and in short it is devastating. I was so impressed with this round I just bought a new Tikka T3 Lite in this cal. A .308 Win is a great round too but with EITHER round shot placement is paramount! JMTCW....Trapfan

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Cochise County, AZ
    I personally know of 46 deer who have met their maker so far this year, all shot by the "feeble" .243 Winchester.

5. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Jan 26, 1999
    I suppose the purpose of this thread is to demonstrate that ignorance about firearms and general illiteracy make for a blissful existence! Hardehardeharharhar!

That 275# buck that a young cousin of mine dropped with is .243 a couple of years ago probably didn't realize that he wasn't being shot with a .308!

6. not that its worth even that..but! Yes it is highly effective, fits closely to the thread a few days ago on the 6mm. I too shoot a 308 mainly becuase, well i like short actions (i know 243 is as well,) but in rifle season in PA there isnt many places where you can sit on a field edge and observe a deer for 10 mins till he gets broadside. When that big boy comes barrel-assin through the woods and stop quarting toward me or facing straight at me i want to know its going all the way home.
    No 270 cal people here? Perhaps a split of the difference depending on what load you shoot?
    kt

7. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Apr 25, 1999
    upper mid-west
    I've spent hours, even days chasing deer shot with a 30-06. ONe big buck had a front leg shot clean off. You could look in the hole and see the lungs. He was hit about 10AM one day and killed at noon the next - 30-06.

Do you have a specific point or are you just blowing your bazzoo?

8. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.
    agian i know that it kills.600 pound elk have taken lung shots and died. but don't you think that just because it kills that there isn't better tools for the job?

you're in the dense woods and you have a 40 yard shot at a BIG buck.
    he's standing behind a tree and the only shot is shoulder shot angled toward you. this is the shot my buddy had he taken it with his .243 the deer left blood in the snow and dragged the leg we finally lost the trail at dark.

had he had my 30-30 it would have been done. he use to brag that his .243 could be found under the skin on broad side shots. where it "dumped" all it's energy in the deer.this just isn't good enough for me on broad side shots i want 2 holes on angle shots i want 2 holes. i don't want to pass on a great buck because he won't turn just the right way.

hell i've killed most of my deer with a .50 muzzeloader with 400 gr bullets

9. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Roanoke, VA
    I've never hunted elk so can't comment on that, but....

The only problem with the .243 and whitetail deer is poor bullet selection. If you use the right bullet and hit where you aim you have a dead deer. It's a great little deer round, but use the right bullet. This can be said with any rifle.

10. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    You read my mind. If you pick a good bullet and put it where it should go, you'll do fine with a .243 rifle. If not, it won't matter what you're shooting with. I stand by my statement in a previous thread that 95% of hunters would be better served by a rifle with less power, simple because less recoil will let them shoot respectably.

11. wannacmyglock

wannacmyglock Mortgage Man!

Oct 6, 2003
    North Central Florida
    i use a sks with 30 round clip, sometimes I have to put in a second clip to finish the buck off, but most of the time, its down by about the 18th shot.

12. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Oregon..
    Wanna....Was your post on using a SKS with a 30 rnd clip on deer
    meant to be a joke. You said that they usually go down by the 18th
    shot but sometimes you have to put in another clip?

I don't know about Florida's big game regulations but in Ore we
    are limited to a magazine with a capacity of 5 rnds.

Not only do I find your post unsporting but down right disgusting.
    I think that you had better find a cartridge that is better
    suited for deer.

On second thought I wouldn't even put you in the same category as
    a hunter....It's people like you that give honest hunters a bad name.

And on third thought I donn't even think that you are qualified to
    own a weapon!

13. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.
    The only problem with the .243 and whitetail deer is poor bullet selection. If you use the right bullet and hit where you aim you have a dead deer. It's a great little deer round, but use the right bullet. This can be said with any rifle. [/B][/QUOTE]

the i believe was a remmington 100 gr core-lokt of the late 80's. i know that this is a fragil bullet but it's what we had at the time.

if you can wait for the just right shot the 243 will do. i just want better penatration.

14. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Apr 25, 1999
    upper mid-west
    I'll agree with you on that Marvin. We used to shoot 85gr hollow points in our 6mm Rems. But, we were hunting open country.

I shot one buck at over 400 yards with one of those bullets. Thru-and-thru with no expansion. There was snow on the ground so we found him. He went about 100 yards a bedded. Hit in both lungs, he bled out quickly. I don't use those bullets anymore.

I do shoot 100gr Remington pointed soft points now. If I remember correctly, they used to make a 120gr bullet for the 6mm too. I think that has been discontinued.

Your point of bullet selection is well taken - especially in the smaller calibers.

15. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

I guess that's one of those times when you just don't take the shot, .243 or not.
    That's why it's called hunting and not shooting.You don't always get to shoot something.

16. MDT

MDT Glock21Love

Mar 24, 2003
    Claremore, OK
    Sorry Marvin,
    No flame intended, but I agree w/ Glockerel. Some shots you just don't take regardless of the caliber. It's hard to pass up something like a big buck, but... you must be an ethical hunter above all.

BTW, .243 is an outstanding round for whitetail/ antelope, etc.

Sorry dude, just my .02 worth.

MDT

17. {I don't know about Florida's big game regulations but in Ore we
    are limited to a magazine with a capacity of 5 rnds.}

You are correct that FL has 5 round limitation on hunting.

18 rds into a deer is not hunting IMHO

18. RonC

RonC

Jan 28, 2002
    Eastern NC
    Seems to me this battle has already been fought and the 30 cal lost, in the military.

If you are hitting them and they aren't going down, why blame the gun? Killing by hittin' em in the ***** ain't what the sport is all about.

19. wannacmyglock

wannacmyglock Mortgage Man!

Oct 6, 2003
    North Central Florida
    lol, 18 rounds, 2 30 shot clips, and you had to question if I was joking, of course I was. Sometimes I use my full auto ak for squirrel huntin...............yes I'm kidding bout that too.

20. GLOCK-DOOD

GLOCK-DOOD FUGGETABOUDIT!!

Jul 11, 2002
    RICHMOND VA.
    dood ...you and me have gotta get together and hunt sometime...i use an M14 and carry several 30 round mags with me...i like to see how many holes i can punch thru them before they hit the ground...