close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.22lr Silencer

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by unit1069, Feb 25, 2010.

1. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I lucked out and found a used Ruger Mark II about six months ago. After learning a few things about it and tweaking it I have come to love plinking with this pistol.

My sister owns a remote cabin that sits on a bluff above a beautiful Ozark river. There are hundreds of floaters going down the river on Summer weekends, and throughout the Summer months there are floaters on the river every day.

A canoe outfitter owns the riverfront property below the bluff where my sister's cabin sits. Besides renting canoes he operates a large campground. Because of the slope of the hill and the dense woods her place cannot be seen by campers below or canoers on the river. We like that, insofar as the last thing any of us want is for drunken/drugged weekenders deciding to "explore" the area.

A few days ago my sister said armadillos are beginning to become more plentiful in the area. She has recently had the state department of conservation agents help her create a natural habitat environment to bring back native game birds. Another problem creeping up seems to be more mice, perhaps because of the large campground below.

I mentioned I have a .22lr and that would likely be good for picking off the animal interlopers and she agreed. Then I remembered the camper problem and said the crack of a pistol would alert the weekenders to someone on top of the crest and behind them. So it is a stalemate.

My questions: How difficult is it to get approval for a silencer? How much does it cost? How hard is it to maintain properly? And what would I have to do to the pistol to mate the silencer with the gun?

This occurred to me after talking to my sister, but if it's an expensive headache that will also draw the BATF on me I'd just as soon forget about it. But a silencer does seem to be an answer to the dilemma, as far as the armadillos go. The mice, a couple of cats would help.

Answers and opinions, please.

PS Just noticed the "Supressor Host" thread. Sorry if I'm duplicating another thread.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010

2. TonyT

TonyT

Mar 14, 2009
    Have you considerd an airgun for your pest control needs? I also used the CCI 22 Short CB caps which have a very mild report in a rifle.

3. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    I have absolutely no experience in this regard, but I'm wondering if CB caps might be a little under-powered to reliably and mercifully dispatch armadillos...

Also, I'm thinking that any air rifle of sufficient power to take out an armadillo would be about as loud as a .22 (just based on the sound signature of my RWS-52).

4. uzimon

uzimon team ftp

Jul 11, 2007
    Tomball,tx
    depends on your location and the leo's.
    but there's also othe ways
    also try www.subguns.com

5. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

I like the idea of the air pistol for mice but I don't think it would be powerful enough to be effective with armadillos.

The more I read the other threads it looks like the cost of a decent suppressed system is more than I want to spend just to use against some armadillos.

6. Ljay

Ljay Micky's Packin

Nov 2, 2006
    Ohio
    Another option would be, find an old used inexpensive single shot 22 with a 24" barrel, Then get some 22 Subsonic s Not much louder than a good pellet rifle, The 24" barrel burns up all the powder, No crack! I have taken much game with the Subsonic s ,

7. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    .22 short hollowpoint from an old bolt action .22 makes less noise than a .177 spring loaded air gun. They're just the ticket for shooting minidinosaurs.

8. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Okay, guys. I'm back in the game. The rifle/sub-sonic route seems like a good idea if the sound is practically nil. I'd prefer sticking with .22lr so I can use the rifle with better ammo when not using it at my sister's place.

I recently saw a Mossberg .22lr with a 10-round mag (I think) for $120. Would that be a good rifle to shoot the sub-sonic? I don't know the barrel length.

9. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    You can get a .22 suppressor for around $400 plus $200 tax. You will have to tread the barrel to attach it though.

10. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    That's what I was afraid of. Out of the ballpark for me but I'll mention it to my sister in case the armadillo situation becomes a real problem.

The rifle/sub-sonic ammo route, though, still seems promising.

11. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    I recall seeing a Youtube video of side-by-side performances of identical P22's, one equipped with a $100 suppressor and the other with a $500 suppressor (minus the stamp cost).

The 100 dollar suppressor was actually more effective in dampening sound.

12. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

attached are pics of my Ruger 22/45.

The barrel is threaded and it uses an M16 flash hider as a thread protector (.500"x28 TPI).

old pics without and newer with an EOTech 552

Attached Files:

13. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    If you are in Missouri, yer SOL on the suppressor. That and DD's are the only things citizens cannot have. Even with a tax-stamp...

14. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Jan 3, 2007
    CCTX
    The armadillos are native and natural, I presume. They may root up your yard, but they are eating pests that are bad for the plants. The armadillos will move on once they've gotten most of the grubs, etc. from the yard, and it will be healthier from it.

As for mice, traps of various kinds work.

Sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to buy some new hardware, and something to shoot.

15. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Or a bow-staff. ;)

deadite

16. scottMO

scottMO Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    LR Arkansas
    Actually suppressors have been good to go since Aug of 2008 and are treated no different than MG's, SBR's, SBS's. Like ownership for other NFA items in Missouri, you must have at least a C&R to satisfy a state law...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010