close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

229 vs 226

Discussion in 'The Sig Sauer Club' started by JordanL, Feb 14, 2010.

1. JordanL

JordanL
    Expand Collapse

Hello all. i have been going back and forth about the 226 and 229. im new to sigs since i only own a glock 22, but i am looking for a second pistol. i would go with the .40 cal to start with and then maybe pick up a .357 barrel. what are the differences/ similarities?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 JordanL, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

I will make a comparison for you using Glocks since you're familiar with the platform. Think of the P226 as the G22 size wise, and the P229 as a G23 size wise.

Also the P229 is beefier and handles the 40SW better in the "long run", it was built for the 40SW while the P226 was originally made for the 9mm. The P229 is also the Carry gun for many federal agencies and their employees in either 40 SW (most used) or .357 Sig.

You can't go wrong either way. I just recently picked up a P229R in 40SW and couldn't be happier. Looking to a a P226R in the future.

3. MySiK26

MySiK26
    Expand Collapse

Back to 40sw?? Get that Dillon ready :supergrin: I shot the 23 yesterday at the range along with the AR and .22lr......good times.

4. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

The Dillon is always ready. :supergrin:

And not back to 40SW, added 40SW.

5. wingspar

wingspar
    Expand Collapse

That’s an interesting comparison. Cost may keep me from doing it, but I am interested in a P226 and a P229 in .40. I didn’t realize that kind of comparison. When I get somewhere I can look at both, I will. That’s how I decided on the G17 over the G19. The 19 was too small, and I’m not interested in CCW.

The P226 is also the standard issue for Navy Seals. That alone has to place the P226 very high on the dependability list, and give it some drool factor.

6. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

Yes just remember that the P226 the seals shoot is in 9mm and that's the caliber the frame was built for. The P229 was built for the 40SW from the ground up.

As for the size, I also chose a G17 over the G19 because of the reason you listed but with the Sig the P229R just feels right at home, the grip is perfect and the size is perfect, however, if you're not concerned with CCW then get the bigger gun. :cool:

7. Cobra64

Cobra64
    Expand Collapse
    Deals in Facts

As a reference, these are a couple of my all stainless steel SIGs.

P220ST (.45ACP) - P229ST (.40 S&W) - P226ST (9mm Luger)

[​IMG]

P226ST 9mm for training and competition

[​IMG]

P229ST currently with Bar Sto 9mm conversion barrel (not shown) for carry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. wingspar

wingspar
    Expand Collapse

Well, if the P226 is made in .40, I’m sure it would be just fine, and I’m never going to put thousands of rounds thru it anyway, but I’m a long way from buying one if I ever do. Just starting the thinking process.

Without looking up the data, I may be putting my foot in my mouth here, but aren’t the G17 and G22 frames the same, and didn’t the 17 come before the 22?

Thanks for the photos. I can see how much bigger the P226 is than the P229. Of course, I would never decide on one over the other without actually holding both of them, and that won’t happen till I make a trip to the city sometime this summer. I still have way too much to learn about Sigs before I actually make a decision. The price tag gives me concern also.

9. panzer1

panzer1
    Expand Collapse
    NRA MEMBER

Well I carry a sig,226R in 357sig/40s&w. It came with the 40s&w barrel & I carry it that way most of the time. I went with the 226 over the 229 because as far as I know they are the same size but for the slide/barrel is only 1/2 longer. So if I can carry the 229 I could carry the 226 being only 1/2in longer. It's NOT to big to carry.IMO. One very good gun I must say.

10. Cobra64

Cobra64
    Expand Collapse
    Deals in Facts

The 229 grip is a little shorter than the 226.

[​IMG]

232SL - 239TT - 229ST - 226ST - 220ST

11. JordanL

JordanL
    Expand Collapse

i was more concerned about accuracy. does the .5" longer 226 have any real advantage? cause if not then the 229 is the obvious choice. keep in mind that the sigs im looking at are bare bones- no short trigger reset, nothing special. and why is there a 229 "sas" is that because it is in service with the SAS? if so then that would put it in a pretty good spot also... lemme know.

12. Larry V

Larry V
    Expand Collapse

I owm both and love both . That being said , my 229 is extremely accurate.

13. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy
    Expand Collapse
    XD40

I have never had a 229 but have had a few P226's over the past 20 years. In fact of all my guns, it's the one model I never trade without immediately replacing with another 226. My current 226 is in 40 S&W and is the Equinox version. I love my 226 and recommend it highly. It was my duty gun, my main carry, and it has endured a great deal of real world use. I'm sure the 229 is equally fine.

14. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

Yes it did, when did I say otherwise......:dunno:

15. wingspar

wingspar
    Expand Collapse

No, you didn’t say otherwise. I was just exploring the comparison of the P226 in 9mm and .40 with the G17 and G22.

If the P226 being designed for 9mm could make it a weak design for the .40, then wouldn’t the G17 being designed for 9mm make for a weak design for the G22?

I’m not making any kind of statement, or trying to make a point at all. I truly do not know. I’ve not paid much attention to the G22, so not aware if there are any weaknesses due to being designed for the 9mm cartridge. Seems like I see a lot of love for the G22 here on GT.

I’ve recently purchased a Sig Mosquito (fun little gun), and it is the first time I’ve seriously started to think about another centerfire handgun. If I was to do this, then why not .40? Seems to be a very popular cartridge. I’ve never shot one. Not sure I see a reason for another 9mm. I’ve got a Marlin Camp 9, (a 9mm carbine), and the G17. Time to explore another cartridge should I get another centerfire handgun. It’s not something I’m going to dive right into, but I do think it would be a Sig if I do it. The P226 and P229 are at the top of my list, but as I learn more about Sigs, there is always the possibility that could change.

I’m in a remote area, so it will have to wait a few months till I get to an area where I can actually look at every model Sig offers in one store. In the meantime, I just want to drink in all the info I can.

16. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

You're correct, and if you search the internet especially off of GT to get unbiased reports you will see the problems there have been with the 40SW Glocks over the years.

In 2004 DHS did some testing on handguns to consider for agency issued weapons and the only ones that held up until the end of their test were the Sig P229's and the HK P2000's and HK USPc 40's.

I'm not knocking the Glocks in 40 but it is what it is. Hence why I moved away from them and found another platform for the 40SW because I like the caliber. I also like 9mm and 45 ACP, and the last thing I'm trying to do s start a caliber war here or anywhere else.

Both the P226's and P229's are great handguns and I was not trying to imply otherwise, all I was trying to mention os that is the gun you purchase is going to be used seriously, or in other words if you're going to shoot the crap out of it, then the pistols that usually hold up the best over time in 40SW are the ones that were built for the caliber.

This is all of course my opinion and what I have learned over time in researching many things handgun related and having to do with the different calibers.

My opinion again, you'll hear a lot of folks say well the 40SW is an LE round and I don't see a use for it for Civilian CC, well I don't know about you or where you live but down here in South FL me and the local LEO's all drive on the same streets and visit the same places, so why wouldn't I want what works for them to defend my life as well.

All this being said, find the caliber you like and then find the best platform for it. I like Glocks in 9mm, Sig's in 9mm and 40SW, HK's in 9mm/40SW/45 ACP, and 1911's in 45 ACP. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and lucky for us all there are so many options out there.

Any of the standard service calibers will suffice you just need to find what works best for "you" and more importantly what you're most proficient with. Shot placement!

FM :wavey:

17. wingsprint

wingsprint
    Expand Collapse

Forget accuracy- Both guns are supremely accurate, the only thing needing improvement is the person pulling the trigger. Only the most skilled professional shooter would be able to tell the difference between the two.

SAS: Sig Anti-Snag - a rail less and edge melted version of Sigs that are designed for concealed carry.

I like to think of the 229 as the compact version of the 226. Try to shoot both, or at least hold them and make your choice based on what feels good in your hand.
    :cool:

#17 wingsprint, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  18. Cobra64

Cobra64
    Expand Collapse
    Deals in Facts

This might answer your accuracy question:

[​IMG]

Shot with this SIG P229ST .40 S&W with a Bar Sto 9mm conversion barrel.

[​IMG]

19. JordanL

JordanL
    Expand Collapse

come on guys.. give me something. based on what i know so far, i want both. are they both metal frames?

20. Cobra64

Cobra64
    Expand Collapse
    Deals in Facts

That question is embarrasing.

I'm though wasting my time on this thread.