close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

$225 boomstick is here...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Nestor, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    ...and it's ugly for now. Probably made in 1979. There is a slight trace of rust on the surface here and there, action is dirty and full of grease plus the wood is kinda crappy (some cracks and such). Butt pad is broken. So much for bragging. Now the best part - the action. You can cycle this shotgun with two fingers, it's just butter smooth. No rust in the chamber (2 3/4") was detected. 28" barrel with the adjustable poly-choke is bright and may come handy, later on, however I'm planning to buy a standard security 18" Remington barrel soon. I've seen one brand new for $120 lately. So far - the total costs with the taxes and shipping is $260. I will try to follow up with the pictures and info about progress of this project. Idea is to build the HD/utility shotgun. Lot of fun here - actually much more entertaining than buying a new one. Cheaper? Probably not. Anyway - thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    It's not ugly! I like old firearms.

3. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    :wow:

You've got some work to do.

:wavey:

4. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Rem. 870 is just about one of the finest pump shotguns ever made. Clean that sucker up and then you can modify it to suit your own interest. Great shotgun!

5. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    THe Wingmasters are actually a pretty nice gun, can't knock a deal like that.

6. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Jan 3, 2006
    Humble, TX
    Living in Alberta, you'll have plenty of snowy days to hang out and work on the gun. Good find:wavey:

7. Not familiar with Canadian law, it's gonna cost you $140 in taxes and shipping? Wow!
    The poly choke was always an odd ball I thought and the 28" can be awkward except in trap. Think about cutting the 28" down (you'll end up with a cylinder bore) and look for a nice 24" or 26" vent rib barrel. Now you have a great skeet and sporting clays gun!

8. engineer151515

engineer151515

Nov 3, 2003
    Sweet shotty, Nestor.

Chamber area and extractor needs a little TLC - which is part of the enjoyment if you ask me.

9. 8-Ball

8-Ball Drifting Cowboy

Aug 30, 2004
    Illinois
    Cheaper? Nope.

More fun? Absolutely!

Keep us updated on your progress, please.

:wavey:

10. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

Jan 18, 2006
    Rapid City, SD
    There you go! Nice. You've got yourself a little project. Couple thoughts.

If you're finding BLUED 18" barrels for $120, I'd jump on that NOW. Parked (or black oxide) are somewhat easier to find (around here anyways), but this old girl deserves some nice deep old Remington bluing. An option for you would be to have a competent smith cut the barrel down. I was going to recommend the proper front sight base from Colonial arms to be soldered on there, but it appears they are discontinued from Brownells. Maybe there's another source. If you wanted to be a bit clever, if the smith can get that polychoke off without ruining it, cut off the barrel to 18 and reinstall that polychoke. Might be kind of cool???

It's easy to tear that thing completely down to clean it. If you've got access to a parts washer, I've found that to be the best. Check if the chemicals would affect the bluing or not first, if not, gobs of carb cleaner I guess. Take most of it apart-stock off the receiver, wood off the forend tube. Makes cleaning easier and allows you to do a more complete job. I would leave the trigger group together. Just give it a good cleaning and a little bit of oil on the metal parts and call that part a day. I also wouldn't worry about taking out the firing pin.

For the stock, all you'll need (after the pad is off) is a large flathead screwdriver. To get the forend off of the forend carrier, I've found a piece of barstock steel (Al alloy would be fine too) cut to the proper size works well. The barstock gets clamped in a vise and you'll turn the forend by hand after that. Basically the bar stock/vise acts like a giant screwdriver. The tube might be a bit rusty and take a little persuasion to come off the wood, but it will come.

If everything is otherwise functional, the only thing I would replace is the magazine tube spring. Strangely enough, it probably will still work as is, but there's a world of difference in spring pressure with that old one compared to a new one.

There's probably tons of videos out there on all of this stuff and I'm probably already telling you things you already know. Sorry about the unsolicited advise if this is the case.

Good luck.

11. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    That's a really cool gun. The 870 is the prince of shotguns. I hang mine proudly out on the wall for all my visitors to see. It always goes "bang" when you need it to and its easy to work on.

Whatever you do, just don't call it a "shotty." What a dumb word!

12. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    Assuming MidwayUSA will ship to our neighbors to the North (I don't know if they will or not...), how about a new 18.5-inch Remington smoothbore barrel with night-sight rifle sights?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...2-improved-cylinder-with-tritium-rifle-sights

They also have one of these that is Modified choke, but it's out of stock right now. I picked one of these barrels up a few months ago for a cheap used Remington I'd purchased, and it makes a slick combo. Add some kind of a light for target ID purposes, and you're good-to-go.

13. Whoever had that last must've been
    Square-Jawed, Thick-Bearded, AND Left-Eyed !!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  14. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks Guys. Some really good suggestions here. I'm not sure if the local prices are good or bad (probably the later), but to give You some rough idea, a new 18" Remington 870 Police with wood furniture and bead sight would cost me around $730 with tax and shipping. That's some serious money in my opinion. I was thinking about 14" barrel, but since those are only made in Canada (export to Canada from the USA is banned) the price tag for such item flies around $300 here. I'm not sure if I want to spend this kind os money. Yes, it's dirty, but the Winter is long here :whistling: and I'm not in hurry. I will keep You up to date with the progress on this project. Thank You all again :wavey:
    ps. Midway USA won't ship to Canada...oh well.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  15. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    Thank You very much. Your advice is much appreciated. I'm finding myself more and more interested in the "project guns" instead of the new ones.

16. 8-Ball

8-Ball Drifting Cowboy

Aug 30, 2004
    Illinois
    Same here.

You can probably tell from my thread the other day about "restoring" and old .22 rifle.

17. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Nestor,

What happened to that buttstock!?!?!?!?
    Looks like someone took a belt sander to it!!!

I'll have to look in my workshop, but, I THINK that I still have the wood buttstock and plastic buttplate that came off of my 1972 Remington 1100.
    IF it's there, you can have it, if you want it.

(I'll never use it, again!)

18. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    Maine
    Just needs a little love.

Come to think of it, so do I. Difference is your gun will get better looking!:faint:

19. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    It is very nice from You, but I don't want to give You any headache my Friend. I did order the restored set of the police style wood furniture (hardwood butt stock with the recoil pad and the forend) from Numrich.
    Cost - $60.