close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.223 reload test

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by BobbyS, Apr 30, 2011.

1. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Feb 14, 2010
    Boonies New Mexico
    Am loading up some .223 for AR. Been reading all about bullet setback and crimping vs not crimping. Here is what I did: I loaded a 55gr. JHPB dummy round to 2.250. Loaded it into a magazine and chambered it, ejected it 5 times. Each time the bullet did not setback, it increased the COL by .001 each time.

I crimped the round, it is non cannelure bullet (bunch of people who said they crimp used non C bullets). After chambering this round once and ejecting it I measured it and the COL increased by .005.

I thought this interesting.

2. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    BobbyS
    Bullet set back shouldn't be a problem unless your brass is worn out or your sizer button is to big! I've not seen it as a problem in my AR's. Thought the rule of thumb is if the bullet has the crimp grove -crimp the bullet into place! I've found a mild crimp is more then enough and heavy crimping usually makes for an inaccurate round! On bullet with out a grove the same applies usually the accuracy takes a dump!:supergrin: If your going to crimp bullets with out the grove try a tap crimp- chamfer the inside of the case and apply a lite crimp.