close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.222 Remington reloading with 69 gr HP

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Front Sight, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

Feb 22, 2001
    I have a Remington 700 and a Remington model 7 both in .222. Can I reload using 69 grain HP match bullets? What kind of powder does anyone recommend and how many grains of it, what about the OAL? The ammo will be used for varmint hunting. I have lots of 69 gr, and would like to use it up.

2. tjpet

tjpet

May 14, 2001
    Utah-Idaho border
    I'm guessing neither of your rifles would have a quick enough twist to properly stabilize such a heavy bullet.

3. Normal bullet weight ranges for the .222 Rem are 40 to 60 grains. While I am also sceptical about the performance of such a heavy bullet in the standard 1-12" twist rate, you will have to see how 69gr works in your individual rifle.

4. sig357fan

sig357fan

Apr 8, 2008
    SW OH
    Really depends on your barrels rate of twist.

I had a 09’ Argentine custom Mauser in 22-250 with a 1 in 12 twist barrel, loved just about any bullet weighing 45 and 50 grains, 55 grains started to open up groups, 62 grain groups looked like shotgun patterns, never tried anything heavier.

sig357fan

5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I think these guys are right. Unless you have a 1:10 or faster twist, it won't stabilize the heavier bullets.

Sierra data only goes up to 63 grain bullets and the test gun was a 1:14 twist rate.

I can look at some other books if you want, but I'd use the 69's in a .223 with a medium to fast twist rate (or sell / trade them) and develop a load in .222 with a 50 or 55 grain bullet with plenty of data.

6. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

Feb 22, 2001