close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

22 mag as self defense round?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Broiler Monster, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Broiler Monster

Broiler Monster

Sep 1, 2004
    Tennessee
    I know you all would rather argue 45 vs 9mm but... Kel Tec has come out with a new 30 round 22 mag semi auto pistol. Sounds like a lot of fun. But what's the scoop on the 22 mag round for self defense?

2. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    .22wmr will easily penetrate 12" of ballistics gel out of a handgun. So you have tiny bullets that have the penetration to reach the vital, but tiny bullets make tiny holes, which mean slower bleed out time if you miss those vitals. Hollowpoint will not expand, however the bullet does tumble and yaw, creating a larger wound cavity which may be helpful.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page1504.htm

If this PMR30 proves to be very reliable, I would say yes it makes a fantastic Self Defense weapon. I think the 30 round capacity makes up for lack in stopping power.

3. 9jeeps

9jeeps

May 22, 2004
    PNW
    I've a Taurus Ultra-Lite 22 mag snub as a house/ranch/snake shooter. Never have felt under gunned in my area. Besides it's a kick to plink with.

I like Kel-Tec. May look into that new PMR30....

4. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    If that PMR-30 isn't the ugliest gun I've ever seen.... But 22 Mag, I think someone should design a bullet for SD and see how it works. I think it would make a decent BUG. 5 shots of .38 or 8 shots of 22 Mag? Debatable. I have a feeling the PMR-30 will be more of a range toy. The gun is as tall as an XD-M.

5. mclaren

mclaren

Dec 10, 2009
    i have never witnessed .22 hollow point expansion until recently. i was always under the impression that it just aided in some mild deformation or fragmentation.
    I just tested some CCI Mini Mag hollow points. I shot them through jugs of water. I realize this isnt gel or tissue but it has expanded all other calibers comparably to the other highly regarded mediums. so to me the water jug test is worth something.
    These bullets expanded perfectly to just over 9 mm. I was blown away. This was out of a rifle so velocities were more than pistol.
    There is a great variety of ammo in .22 mag. I believe some of them could perform exceptionally. Through barriers though, probably not.

This is a very exciting gun to me. I dont think I would ever carry it for defense but its a great concept. Reminds me of the Five Seven.

Can't wait to see a review.

6. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    .22WMR (Winchester Magnum Rifle)

If you have time to dump 30 rounds into your target. I suppose it would be like stabbing someone with a dart, eventually it will start to hurt.

7. Like you said it ain't flesh and bone. :wow:

8. mclaren

mclaren

Dec 10, 2009
    By the way CCI Mini Mags are .22 lr. The Maxi Mags are the .22 WMR.
    For what its worth HAMMERHEAD, WMR stands for Winchester Magnum Rimfire, not Rifle. LR is Long Rifle, maybe thats where you are confused.
    Plus there are currently short barrel firearms chambered in .22 WMR. Lots of revolvers from many different manufacturers. Same for .22 LR, available in many rifles and pistols. so Im not really sure the reason for the quote.
    I mentioned that it was from a rifle to say that the higher velocity of the .22 LR in my long barrel may compare to the .22 WMR out of a short barrel. Otherwise it wouldn't be a fair comparison. Though it still may not be.
    These 9 mm diameter expanded bullets I have look a little more painful than a dart for sure.
    I am aware that these rimfire rounds are pretty low power and barely enough for SD.
    I can't back this up but I bet the .22 rimfire's historical body count is much higher than most think.

As a side note how about aPMR-30/17. Its a pretty natural next step to .17HMR. Now that would be interesting

9. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    I do believe that .22lr claims more lives than any other caliber in America. I don't have a cite to back this up, but that's been the running rumor for years. IMO, it would make sense. Cheap, easy to find, easy to shoot, plus a lot of people treat .22lr like a toy.

10. Broiler Monster

Broiler Monster

Sep 1, 2004
    Tennessee
    I'm glad to get this discussion going. I've seen 22 wmr/magnum handguns in the past but have never really considered their effectiveness as a self defense gun. 30 rounds? Sounds cool. This gun weighs less than 20 ounces loaded. More fun than all the 9mmvs 45 acp threads anyway.

11. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure it's rifle.

I'll take a G-19 and fifteen rounds of Gold Dots.

12. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
  13. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

Aug 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a NAA 22 mag mini-revolver. It's the smallest gun I own so I take it with me when I need a really concealable gun. It's not the biggest caliber but that little thing is so loud and at close range I feel safe when I have it. It's better than nothing. I was just on the Kel-Tec website because my friend just bought a P11 from a pawn shop and I wanted to check it out and I saw the gun you mentioned. I have a .22 mag because it's small. I know 30 rounds in a handgun is cool but I wouldn't carry that.

14. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Aug 22, 2009
    Just thought I'd throw this in. Bill Jordan thought a J-frame .22 Mag. made a great back up weapon. Said it did damage way out of proportion to it's size. Just thought it interesting.

15. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    It wouldn't be my first choice. That said, there is no substitute for shot placement.

16. 481

Feb 20, 2009
    I suppose that it beats a set of car keys.

In a weapon of similar size and length, the .22 Magnum offers nothing in the way of performance that the commonly available service calibers don't.

Given the much superior reliability of centerfire primers over that of rimfire priming, the better choice becomes apparent.

There are better choices.

17. mclaren

mclaren

Dec 10, 2009
    Who knows. I have never heard it called that. Every source I have seen says Rimfire. I guess Winchester would be the best source to answer that question. I would really like to know which is right.

18. TwinFourFives

TwinFourFives

Jan 13, 2010
    22 mag would be good so long as you use reliable ammo. Thing about the rimfires is they tend not to go bang as reliably as centerfires. As for the potency of the round, 22 mag should be alright. You hit someone right in the heart with a 22 mag, it'll stop em faster than a .45 that misses the heart by an inch (and doesnt hit something like the cns). There aught to be some good enough 22 mag rounds as far as penetration of ribs but i dont know for sure if theyd pass through a rib and stay on the intended path like a heavier round. Probably will most of the time.