close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.22 for defense if necessary

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Andy W, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Mar 25, 2003
    Tennessee
    Well have fun hitting a moving, shooting object at 50+ yards with any handgun.

2. digilo

digilo

Apr 27, 2010
    texas
    If he's 50 yds away he ain't a threat.

:supergrin:

3. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Why not? One would have to assume that the opponent is a good shot . . . .

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  4. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    If it's all I have, then it's better than nothing but I wouldn't be very confident in it's ability to quickly end the threat.

5. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Well said - I agree - :cool:

6. glock031

glock031

Jun 18, 2010
    "Because a .22 LR bullet is less powerful than larger cartridges, its danger to humans is often underestimated. In fact, a .22 LR bullet is capable of inflicting very serious injuries (e.g. the four people wounded during the Reagan assassination attempt) or death e.g. the Kauhajoki school shooting (11 killed and 1 wounded), the Jokela school shooting (9 killed and 12 wounded), or victims of Brenda Ann Spencer (2 killed and 9 wounded) as well as the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy. Numerous other shooting incidents have demonstrated that .22 LR bullets can easily kill or seriously injure humans.[7][8][9] Even after flying 400 yards (370 m), a .22 bullet is still traveling at approximately 500 ft/s (150 m/s). A standard rimfire cartridge can have a ballistic range of up to 1.5 miles (2,400 m).[citation needed] Ricochets are more common in .22 LR projectiles than for more powerful cartridges as the combination of unjacketed lead and moderate velocities allows the projectile to deflect – not penetrate or disintegrate – when hitting hard objects at a glancing angle. A .22LR can ricochet off the surface of water at a low angle of aim. Severe injury may result to a person or object in the line of fire on the opposite shore, several hundred yards away.[10]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Sep 20, 2004
    FEMA REGION III
    I think its clear the 22 can work. Far from ideal, but if thats all I had, I would feel better then if I had nothing at all.

8. JackMac

JackMac

Mar 13, 2011
    TX
    I do not know the stats but would bet that more folks have been killed with a 22 than any other caliber. I've seen two people that were shot and killed with a 22 over the years. Both were abdominal shots.

9. Yep, somebody shot with a .22 might eventually die, especially if he isn't whisked off by ambulance to a modern hospital.

But somebody shot with a .22 might also get mad enough to do you harm, like continue bashing your skull with a hammer.
    He might not realize that he's supposed to fall down and stop fighting.

That's why we prefer powerful calibers.

10. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Right on Chute! I'll take my 9mm 115gr JHP +P+ rounds any day.

11. You realize this is very true with any handgun caliber don't you? We carry handguns because shotguns are too big and heavy to conceal. Handguns don't have stopping power.

12. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Well, my well-placed 9mm 115gr +p+ loads have enough stopping power, I hope.

13. Zeebra724

Zeebra724

Jun 19, 2012
    PA
    Whatever you do, don't stop shooting until the BG is clearly not a threat anymore!
    This whole notion of a several shots (or even 1 well-placed headshot) assumes a whole lot (i.e. BG isn't high on something, drunk, weighs 400 lbs., the human body's pure adrenaline rush, etc.).
    Even with a 9mm or 12 gauge, I will keep shooting till the BG is clearly out of commission and/or no longer a threat to you or others.

On another note, a .22 to the head of a full-grown cow drops it instantly...it's plenty powerful when used correctly, and yes, if that's all I had, you bet I would be using it!

14. Zeebra724

Zeebra724

Jun 19, 2012
    PA
  15. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Well in 9mm I have 17 shots - hopefully enough! :cool:

16. Zeebra724

Zeebra724

Jun 19, 2012
    PA
    Ditto...If I have to swap mags with my G17 then I'm either in way over my head or extremely lucky/bad shot!

17. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Well what do you know - another G17 carrier!! :cool: