close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.22 Conversion Unit for AR-15?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by bell ringer, Jan 19, 2010.

1. bell ringer

bell ringer

Oct 10, 2008
    SW Ohio
    I posted the following in the Black Rifle section accidently. I thought this would be a better forum. Sorry

<hr style="color: rgb(140, 115, 90); background-color: rgb(140, 115, 90);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start --> Howdy fellow members.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with a .22 Conversion Unit for AR-15?

I would like any and all input, advice, warnings, personal experience or anything else you think someone in the market should know.

I have been told to NOT convert my AR but to get a dedicated upper. This seems to be a very expensive option. Especially when I am seeing M&P .22s (entire rifles) in the low to mid $400's.

How about a little help here folks.

Thanks,
    b_r

2. minuteman32

minuteman32 NRA & GOA Life

Aug 20, 2004
    Central IN.
    I havE a Spikes Tactical upper on my AR. I'm pretty happy w/ it so far, but haven't been able to shoot much recently. This is like the one I got; http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/sp12.php
    Unfortunately, I didn't get it here. I paid almost this much for a slightly used one w/ only 1 mag!
    I used to have an old Atcheson (?) conversion that was very unreliable. So far the Spikes hasn't has any issues.
    Good luck

3. bell ringer

bell ringer

Oct 10, 2008
    SW Ohio
  4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn

Feb 20, 2003
    Memphis
    I don't own one, but plan on getting a conversion soon. I have a friend that has the CMMG bolt conversion, he has had no problems with it all. Plus, it's a bit cheaper.

I'm curious as to why you should not convert an AR?

5. bell ringer

bell ringer

Oct 10, 2008
    SW Ohio
    If your question is for me I have to say .... Beats me why Not convert.

But I am sure someone here can answer your question.

Thanks for your input.

6. ken grant

ken grant

Apr 3, 2004
    middle ga.
    Two main reasons most want an upper
    Likely better accuracy, no bullet jump, bore dia. and better twist 1/16
    Zero--- 99% have to change sight settings when using the kits.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    You can not compare a M&P22 to an AR15.

My suggestion would be a Spikes Tactical kit for $200 or so.
    A dedicated upper will be about $400-500

The dedicated upper will shoot 1" at 50 yards,
    Most lits will shoot about a 2-3" grouping.

8. drizzle

drizzle

Jan 4, 2007
    Twin Cities
    I have a Ciener kit for my MP15; works great. Some people say don't buy it because the owner is apparently a pr!ck to deal with if you need anything repaired. I haven't had to call anyone, so I don't know about that.

Midway USA periodically has them in stock for 120-150; if they're out, request they email you when they come in stock, otherwise it's hard to get one.

9. Got a CMMG conversion kit when they first came out. No problems with it so far. Just follow the directions for cleaning and for shooting a few rounds of .223/5.56 through the AR afterwards and you shouldn't have a problem.

If you want accuracy than go with a dedicated upper if you want to do general plinking and not spend a lot of money than go with a conversion kit. Only suggestion I have on the conversion kits is to get extra magazines and a thumb loader like the one BDM sells. The thumb loaders are a real time saver when trying to load the last few rounds in a 26 (or higher) round magazines.

10. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Jul 4, 1999
    West Texas
    I have a Ceiner Kit and have shot it in 3 of my different AR platforms. Don't drink the dedicated upper Kool Aid that all the Kool kids want you to. I'll go head to head for a buck a round with anyone who wants to put their dedicated upper against my kit. For a plinker/trainer it will do. The POI shift in my carbine with Bushnell Holosight (pre Eotech) is minimal at 50 yards. I have seen CMMG kits with 3 mags for 165 bucks just keep searching for the best deal.
    For what it's worth when I was in the Military we used .22 conversion kits to qualify at 25 meters with the silhouettes on the target simulated out to 300 meters.
    Save your coin and get a kit. There have even been some damn good deals on used kits on this board.

11. minuteman32

minuteman32 NRA & GOA Life

Aug 20, 2004
    Central IN.
    Took my Spikes 22 to the range today. A friend was shooting it as well & we not only had no problems of any kind, but we were amazed @ the accuracy! I was shooting CCI subsonics through my can w/ 100% reliablity.
    A fellow beside us was shooting his new CMMG conversion (bolt). He was having all kinds of problems w/ reliability & accuracy.
    Another fellow came in w/ one of the new Rugers (the 'tactical 10/22'). As I was leaving, he needed help b/c he had a round jammed in the chamber & couldn't get it out. We finally got it out for him, using a small screwdriver @ the chamber & a cleaning rod from the muzzle.
    1 example of each is not exactly representative, though.

12. bell ringer

bell ringer

Oct 10, 2008
    SW Ohio
    Y'all are a ton of help!

Thank you.

I will keep learning and searching.

13. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    I have a TacSol .22 upper. I like it alot. It's more expensive than the S&W and Colt .22's but I like the weight and I like the stainless bolt group. I feel the dedicated upper is a better option than conversions mainly because of the 1:16 barrel and youare not fouling up your gas tube (unneccessarily).
    [​IMG]
    CDD lower
    DPMS lpk
    Magpul MOE $99 kit from DSG Arms
    TacSol upper

14. heliguy

heliguy

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I got the Ceiner conversion unit about 15 years ago. It's always worked fine. Can shoot squirrl or rabbit fine, so it's accuracy is good enough. I like it because when we travel I can take one gun and have access to .22 plinking...

15. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Another CMMG owner here. Not an issue and accurate out to 50 yards. I have not had a chance to shoot out to 100 yards with it yet. I got the kit and 2 mags for $230. Definately worth it. I'm sure a upper is more accurate, but like you said, at that point I rather just get another .22lr AR rifle.

Here is a very lengthy youtube review of the CMMG conversion kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5UbgB_tfE

Ohh and just a side note, if you get one, LUBE it. When you buy it it comes dry, don't stick it in your AR without spraying it down with rem oil or CLP first.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  16. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    The CMMG and Spikes are the same. I have a Spikes bolt etc but a CMMG barrel insert. They work fine together.

Secret message for those in the know. Obama be da debil

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  17. wsteps

wsteps

Jan 26, 2008
    Annapolis, Maryland
    I have a Ceiner conversion and it works great. I haven't shot it past 50 yards, but at that distance the accuracy is just fine. It eats every brand of .22 I have run through, including the cheap bulk rounds at 36 grains. I lube it real good with Mobil 1 and have not had a single hiccup.

18. CSNeoM4A1

CSNeoM4A1

Feb 23, 2006
    Arizona
    I have a spikes dedicated upper that works like a dream. I love it. I can use my .223 lower so I don't have to get use a new gun. If you can afford it, I would get the dedicated upper.