20sf, correct way to load chamber?

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by orangeride, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Is it bad for the gun to insert one round in the chamber, drop the slide then insert the mag? Or should u load from the mag only?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Where to buy CORRECT factory extended slide stop go G20SF? The 10 Ring Oct 30, 2010
    Glock G20SF 10mm for sale Firearms Listings Jul 15, 2015
    WTS Glock G20SF and G41 Complete Triggers Gun Parts & Accessories Jun 9, 2015
    LaserMax Guide Rod Laser (Glock 20SF,21SF) Gun Parts & Accessories Jun 9, 2015
    Finally added a G20sf Gen 3 to my collection General Glocking Jun 7, 2015

3. Yes, it is bad for the extractor in most guns, not sure about Glocks specifically.

If you want to load +1, load up the mag, insert, rack, eject magazine, load one more round, and insert again.

Bill

4. Mag only.

From my iPhone

5. Deleted

#4 abcomputin, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  6. Only load from the mag, any pistol, any brand or model.

7. Deleted.

#6 xrmattaz, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. a buddy(400#s) and i were shooting in the country(Mickey's lease in dallas)and i "topped off" as the OP is wondering about. my buddy told me how dangerous that is. i told him bulltwinkies, i do this all the time. so i did it again. kapow!
    that was the last time i did it.

9. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

I was at an Advanced Pistol Operator's Course a while back and the very high speed military instructors ran us through a drill where we picked up an empty pistol and loose rounds off the ground. It was a drill to get us to "make any pistol work in any condition to finish the fight". It required us to drop load one round and then throw in a partial mag. It killed me to do this. I could hear my extractor screaming every time.

I was running my G22, but they had some guys running this drill on 1911s. Ouch!

#8 Opie 1 Kenopie, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I would suggest that all semi auto pistols be loaded from a mag. Some may be okay with dropping one in the chamber but why possibly cause damage.

11. Besides possible damage to the extractor, you run the risk of shearing the rim off the brass, with a resulting FTE. Bad idea in a defensive scenario.

12. How about this, if you find a way to break it, get back to us with pics :supergrin:

Generally its good practice to load from the magazine, But I doubt you will run into issues in your glock.

13. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

The Glock extractor does have a bevel and spring that will enable it to work in a pinch. I have done this a number of times for the sake of experimentation. However, it does seem like a lot of unnecessary wear and tear to do all of the time.