close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

20ga Home Defense Ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by J_Rico, Feb 25, 2012.

1. J_Rico

J_Rico

Aug 17, 2007
    Howdy,

Bought a Mossberg Youth 20ga for my daughter and mom to use for busting clay pigeons and plinking. Also, thought it might have a place as a defense weapon for my mom.

Bought some Federal #3 buck and it seems to kick as hard as 00 buck out of a 12ga. Bought some Winchester #3, but have not tried it yet.

Anyone have a suggestion for some softer shooting 20ga defense ammo?

Thanks

2. These Federals seem to have a little less velocity and function very well. The Buckshot is a little smaller then #3. My wife likes them and it's what I recommend to allot of my female friends.
    I think they will get the job done for Home Defense!!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2FEPD2564B-1.html

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

3. J_Rico

J_Rico

Aug 17, 2007
  4. Teej

Teej

Oct 16, 2008
    and I suggest getting a limbsaver recoil pad. AND proper stance, stance, stance, stance..........

5. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

Oct 27, 2011
    Teej definitely has it right. I used to train a lot on a 12g, but would have hated it without the Limbsaver!

And I agree, most 20g buckshot feels about like 12g birdshot.

Most people don't necessarily like the idea of a "big bore rifle" for HD, but 20g slugs offer notably less recoil than their 12g counterparts, but are still incredibly potent relative to most common HD choices.

Otherwise yeah I'd just try to find the lowest-velocity buckshot you can.