Not open for further replies.

2015: What have you done this week?

18K views 257 replies 55 participants last post by  JabbaNoBother 
#1 ·
My Leonidas will be out of jail soon.

Spending time with family!!

Hope everyone has a great 2015!!!

#2 ·
I continue to work on my Maxpedition NeatFreak I got for Christmas. I have most of the major stuff, just looking for small things and need to decide what first aid items will go in it.

#3 ·
Working on more mutually beneficial (or at at least, less hostile & destructive) relationships with a couple businesses in our industry; working toward doing things that are better for the customers and for us both, while making our area less 'plum' to the huge international outfits like ADT, Broadview, etc.

Got some shooting time in with younger family members; sons, nephew, etc. One hates hangduns (he never uses one because he sucks with them, and he sucks with them because he never uses one), and got him to finally let me show him some small, hands-on basics. Can't claim any miraculous transformation, but he's substantially better with a glock and M&P than he was a week ago. To be fair, he's hugely better with a shotgun than I am and may even be better with a rifle than I am (he's more than 30 years younger than me and has something like 20/10 vision); it's just handguns that he never got good with. Fwiw, I don't know what times shotgun competitors average, but using a shooting timer and two steel plates eight feet apart at 50 feet out, he'd come up from low-ready and get hits on both plates in less than a second. Averaged around .91-.98; I'm not a shotgun guy, but that impressed me. If we ever have to defend the homestead, I know who's getting my 930spx...

Ordered another M&P 9mm, this time a target, ported Pro/C.O.R.E version model 10098 and a blade-tech holster to go with it. I've had this pistol on order from one part-time dealer since november and he always claimed "out of stock" every time I checked on it. Canceled that order, went to another shop and inquired & they had an in-stock source right then. Should be here next week.

Spent new year's eve with most of my immediate family (one son was out of town).

#4 · (Edited)
Have the final version of my EDC bag & contents made up and have been carrying and testing the bag and contests... very pleased with this current set up.

Still working on water storage and food for the shelves... making some real progress in both these areas.

I still have a ways to go to complete my over-all goals but I will keep working on them throughout this new year.

Be safe out there

#5 ·
Still working on my optics. Now have all the functional carry bags, lens straps and binocular straps.

The extra lens caps/straps/carrying cases have been a problem except with the Alpen optics. The company puts out decent carry cases/straps and lens covers. I was willing to pay for extra sets of lens covers this week and the company refused payment and simply gave them to me! Outstanding.

The tethered lens covers concept has not worked out. The barrels on the various optics are non standard.

By the time I end up with my goal (extra set of lens caps for each pair of binos), I will have an extra supply of caps that did not fit.

The biggest disappointment was learning that a leading US brand of binos (I will not say the name) puts oversized lens caps on its binos. You would have to write to the company in Oregon to get Brand X lens caps - and they would not fit anyway. So, I have been ordering lens caps directly from China, with and without #s inscribed on them. I think everything will be completed by the end of the month.

The heavier and longer range binos will be put in plastic containers with their tripods.

#6 ·
Been working on my Ham ticket and got the ground turned for this years expanded garden.'08.

#7 ·
Nothing too exciting...

Cold weather cardio -- 1 hour runs in 20, 14 and 2 degrees Fahrenheit.

Refreshed my daughter's winter gear in her car before she heads back to school.

Updated expired meds in the first aid kits.

Played around with how I want to use the Maxpedition Micro and Mini that I bought.

#8 ·
#10 ·
...Ordered another M&P 9mm, this time a target, ported Pro/C.O.R.E version model 10098 and a blade-tech holster to go with it...
Well that was quick. No holster yet, but the pistol came in today. :teddy:

Probably won't get out to shoot it this week though... :sad:

#11 ·
Dentist
Other doctor
Contribute to Roth IRA

Making a push to get in shape

#12 ·
Picked up two WASRs today. AR is my primary platform, but I have so much 7.62 I will never use it up with just my SKS. They were only $538 apiece, and I figure once Hillary wins her first primary I will sell one of them for 1k+ to cover the entire cost. Basically a free WASR for me !! Time to get on CTD and start buying accessories !

#14 ·
Lost 10 pounds. Not sure what happened to them...

Seriously the diet and working out seems to be working.
:elephant:
:workout:
:strong:
:scale:

#16 ·
I've been busy with family over the holidays. Just getting around to posting again.

I picked up a few things here & there. I got a Little Buddy heater for camping. Some might consider it for emergency purposes. It uses the small round propane canisters. I also got an MSR pocket rocket camp stove.

I took both out camping to test them in cold weather. It has rained quite a bit and I arrived at my destination as the sun was setting. No chance for finding dry firewood.

Anyway - The heater...if you want it for emergencies, they better be short duration.

Pros - you can use it almost like having a campfire to sit around. I go by myself and sat close to it drinking coffee in the morning with everything around me covered in ice. Very comfortable.

It has an O2 sensor to cutoff automatically to address CO concerns. You can run it in your tent. I have a small REI half dome plus tent (2 person) made for backpacking. It was only in the 20s at night, but the heater did okay when it was on.

It also has a tilt sensor to shutoff if it tips over.

Cons - a canister will only last ~6 hrs. I woke up in the night to my dog shivering because it went out. It also doesn't make the small tent to the point where you think it's warm when it is running. It will make it comfortable enough but you're not going to feel like you've completely escaped the elements outside.

It gets very hot around the shield. While it will cutoff if it's knocked over, I think you'd melt your tent flooring or other things that contact it. Not a major con...just be careful.

On the MSR pocket rocket, I really liked it's performance.

Some pros & cons -

Pros - it is literally a little rocket. The amount of heat this thing kicks out is impressive. I've got a GSI 1 liter kettle. It boiled water in ~4 minutes. Less for coffee with less water.

It's very lightweight and comes in a triangular plastic case. Very easy to carry.

Cons - It requires a fuel source. MSR makes other models that work with a variety of fuel sources. My small fuel can lasted the 3 days. Not sure how much is left in it.

No igniter. I don't see it as a big deal. If you're in S&P, you'd better have multiple ignition sources.

Anyway, as I said...I got them mainly for camping. I know others have considered these items for survival situations. I like to test out my stuff and see how it works under less-than-ideal conditions. Figured I'd post the results.

#17 · (Edited)
Been working on my Ham ticket and got the ground turned for this years expanded garden.'08.
Completed my Technician test two weeks ago. Set up a 2M base station, Yaesu FT-2900/QJE power supply and a homemade JPole.

I have a Baofeng UV-5R HT with a rollup 2M/70CM antenna for portable use and a mag mount 2M/70CM installed on the truck.

SARNET here in Florida is pretty cool. Statewide comms with a 4W output HT is nice.

This was was what I was using with the HT indoors previously. 1/4 wave ground plane ant.

Built it for about $9 :supergrin: Hit the local repeaters with zero issue and strong signal reports.

I'm thinking about building a transverter for 2-6M. Theres a kit from Ten-Tec but it looks pretty advanced. I suppose we'll see if I can follow directions.

Reactions: tom mac
#19 ·
We needed new optics so I got the Vortex Razor HD 10x42 and the Bushnell Elite ED 10x42. Both very nice views and well built. Have spent some time comparing them and I can't tell any difference in them re brightness, clarity and contrast.

The Vortex fits my hand better (stubby fingers) so I'm trying to sell the Elite to pick up another Razor. This is my third pair of Elites. The new model is brighter with larger glass but also has larger barrels.

#20 ·
I received a huge paypal refund for some kind of credit insurance I never authorized so I spent a little of it.

I went to Optics Planet and while looking for accessories for my 5.11 72 hr bag, saw a banner that said "This item is available for an additional discount. Open a chat with a CS representative to find out the price. I had about 7-8 things in my cart and after some haggling, I got about 17% off my total.

I had been using an ACU pattern pack that I just didn't like, I bought the 5.11 Rush 72 from a friend for $100. I added some water bottle holders and a carbine sheath. I also bought some lights to [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S04BGBA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A31H76PZNDKUUJ"]Amazon.com : SunJack Waterproof LightStick - Rugged 350 Lumen Portable Light with Power Bank for Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Emergency : Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31LuEUA1m5L.@@AMEPARAM@@31LuEUA1m5L[/ame], which is a super light and also doubles as battery back up for phones etc.

I also bought some Condor tactical gear for my BOB. I decided to get a chest rig, add a pistol holster and this is how I will carry ammo and my sidearm. I will snap it onto the bag between the inner and outer main compartments. If need be, I can unsnap it and wear it as a chest rig.

I contacted CCRane about the broken crank handle on my weather radio, they sent me a new one, but I must not be holding my mouth right, cause it sides in but there is no mechanism to retain it.

last night I bought some RCR 123 batteries and a charger for my flashlights. It has both an AC and DC charging cable.

Lastly, I decided that I am going to switch from my G 36 in my Maxpedition Neat Freak to my G 19.

That's about it.

#22 ·
I have been fixing fences to keep my livestock safe for the past week. None this week as both 4-wheelers are in the shop.

#24 ·
I actually got some fence work in yesterday afternoon after picking up my arctic cat. I am going to do some more today by myself after it warms up and my oldest son is going to help this afternoon when he gets home from school and before church.

#25 ·
Bought some AAA rechargable batteries from Amazon. They should use Sanyo tech and have a better storage life. This should help for some of my devices which are small and use AAAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.