close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2013: What have you done this week?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by G29Reload, Dec 22, 2012.

1. -aK-

-aK-
    Expand Collapse

The photo's aren't showing up on those last couple posts LG1. Not sure if it's just me. Darn't.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. LongGun1

LongGun1
    Expand Collapse
    StraightShooter

Try now.

3. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

Let me know how that load works out for you. I have done all my 9mm loading with 115s, but I am a huge fan of titegroup. I need to get my press running again.

4. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Didn't have my chrono in the truck, but I ran a hundred of them yesterday thru three different guns with no problems. Ran thru a Smith M&P, Glock 19, and Kahr CM9 all fine, with the exception of failing to lock the slide on the CM9 one time; which the CM9 is occasionally prone to do anyway.

Didn't have my chrono, but I did alternate some in the mags with factory stuff and couldn't tell any noticeable difference at all between felt recoil between the two. Not a scientific test, but all I could do at the time; and so far so good.

One thing about truncated-cone bullets is that you usually want to load them toward the shorter side of the allowable range; shorter than a roundnose fmj of the same weight would be. And if you use plated like these are, be mindful of not overcrimping, as it can damage the plating and cause serious accuracy issues.

5. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

10 25lb bags of sugar.'08. :woohoo:

6. dukeblue91

dukeblue91
    Expand Collapse

I traded 6 boxes of 9mm for some cheap Rosi 38 special revolver and a box of 50 38 special.
    I thought I had a line on some more 9mm but that didn't pan out so now I wonder if i'm going to miss that 300 rounds I traded. :crying:
    I have also only been able to find one box of 38 special locally. :crying:
    So now I have a revolver and only 100 rounds for it and have not been able to shoot it as I don't know when I will find some more ammo.
    I'm still good on 9mm but will not be able to shoot like I was if I can't find a place to replenish them.
    I had also helped a few friends out with some 9mm and some .22LR which shortened me too on the 9mm.
    I have to stop being so nice to people that don't see a need to stock up a little till it is too late. :faint:

7. gnepig

gnepig
    Expand Collapse
    Remember

Casted about 350 130gr 9mm round nose projectiles the other day and set around loading a hundred rounds today. I like the Power Pistol powder as it is (was) inexpensive to buy and has pretty good power ie I have to use less than the lowest value listed in the Lee book to feel close to the same power (or recoil) as the store bought rounds. These loads/rounds are working great through our Beretta 92s, our Glocks (with stainless barrels), the wifes Kimber and our 995 carbines.

#167 gnepig, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  8. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

Thanks for the feedback! Are you using Berrys plated? What OAL did you load at (as you said to load to the shorter sideof the allowable). I think you have inspired me to get the press up and running again this weekend. I had not set it back up after I moved.

9. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Not to turn this into the reloading forum, but... :embarassed:

No leading issues there? I use a lot of plain old cast bullets in .38, .45acp and .45lc; but went with plated in 9mm's due to potential lead buildup concerns, and also due to some (minor) use in glocks with factory barrels.

On the oal, I'd have to double check, but iirc right at 1.110 - 1.115 (don't hold me to that).

This batch was X-treme bullets 124 plated TC. Do have a thousand Berry's 124 plated TC on order from dillon, but don't know when they'll ship. Hopefully soon, as I've only got about 400 left on hand.

X-treme: http://www.xtremebullets.com/category-s/9666.htm

Berry's at Dillon: https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/c...Thick__Plated_9mm_124_grain_FN_BulletsBullets

The x-tremes are fine up close for drills & such, but shooting past a hundred yards or so, they're pretty erratic. The Berry's are hollow-based, making them longer oal for the same bullet weight; and the extra length (bearing surface) may(?) make for better bullet stabilization and potentially better medium- to long-range accuracy. Not a critical thing really, just figured I'd experiment with them since they're roughly the same price as the x-tremes.

10. gnepig

gnepig
    Expand Collapse
    Remember

Quote:
    "Not to turn this into the reloading forum, but... [​IMG]"

"No leading issues there? I use a lot of plain old cast bullets in .38, .45acp and .45lc; but went with plated in 9mm's due to potential lead buildup concerns, and also due to some (minor) use in glocks with factory barrels."

Not when you use the bullet lube correctly, but I always fire a couple of jacketed rounds through when finished just to make sure. My friends Sig 226 likes these rounds a lot but he noticed that they lead up a lot through that gun. Must be the type of rifling?
    We have the Wolf barrel for the G26 and the Fire Dragon for the G19, we have no leading issues with those. Still need to acquire a stainless barrel for the G17.

I like the Xtreme Plated brand projectiles alright but the Barry's seem better to me, I wondered why so I measured and weighed a whole box of each and the Barry's were more consistently made height, weight and width wise.
    Can't seem to score a box of either lately tho.

Two days before casting a few rounds my tire shop buddy hooked me up with a 5 gallon bucket of spent wheel weights. I trade him a couple of boxes of 9mm reloaded rounds for his scrap lead = everyone is happy...

#170 gnepig, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  11. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Truth. :crying:

12. actionshooter10

actionshooter10
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Running a still? :rofl:

13. -aK-

-aK-
    Expand Collapse

Nice!

14. LongGun1

LongGun1
    Expand Collapse
    StraightShooter

Well....let me pile on also! :whistling:

Ordered a 5 cavity, .310, flat nose w/.18 meplat, gas check, 235gr (wheel weights) mold for subsonics with the .300 Blk..

..and got on the list for a 4 cavity, .311 , gas check, hollow point 130gr mold for supersonics.

Working out a deal with a friend to cast 10k of each! :banana:

But...if the long overdue small rifle primers do not make it in..

..I may have to use some of my emergency stock!

Installed the Ergo Gapper on the new Bushmaster....much better now! :supergrin:

Received the new Nikon 2x7 P-300 SuperSub Scope & installed it on the AAC 300 Blk Handirifle.

#174 LongGun1, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  15. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

:quiet:

Baking/barter ect.'08.

16. SRT76

SRT76
    Expand Collapse

ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1365870420.701490.jpg

🌙🌵👀🌵

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

17. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter
    Expand Collapse

need to start storing more molasses if you like rum :thumbsup:

as far as preps, i traded an unused compound bow for another mossberg 500. now to find some factory polymer stocks for my two pistol grip shotguns. (got two factory pistol grips and a shockwave raptor if anyone is wanting to trade...)

#177 M1A Shooter, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  18. G29Reload

G29Reload
    Expand Collapse
    Tread Lightly

acquired some used hay for the garden.

19. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

20. SRT76

SRT76
    Expand Collapse

ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1366123916.674790.jpg

Finally found time, in between kid activities, work and play, to have the dirt delivered to finish off the garden.

Started seeds in trays two weeks ago. Will be ready to plant very soon. Okra, squash, tomatoes, herbs, peppers, cucumbers, and a lime tree.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire