2013: What have you done this week?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by G29Reload, Dec 22, 2012.

1. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Amazing how things turn out! Congrats!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Nice!

How do you store yours?

3. FAS1

FAS1 GT Sponsor

I made a prototype handgun safe for use with a suppressed handgun.

[​IMG]

4. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Nice!

5. FAS1

FAS1 GT Sponsor

Thanks.

6. kirgi08

kirgi08 Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

3ga buckets.'08.

7. Saw this at a local nursery. Thought it was a great repurpose of something we see lying around all the time. Cheap and efficient use of space. I know we have some gardeners here. Full sun plants on the outside and shade in the middle.

ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1369090787.793445.jpg

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

#247 SRT76, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  8. If you have CERT in your county you might look into training through them. I was able to take a very instructive first responder course with the local fiire departments through CERT at no cost. Much better and certainly cheaper than ARC

9. I have been working out 3 times a week and doing my dry fire practice 2 days a week. My dry fire practice is 300+ rounds with my pistol. A little over 300, but not much more. Takes about 30 minutes. Have an indoor range set up for dry fire. The farthest I can get is 18-19 yards. I have marks set at 3,5,7,10,15 yards. And for the 18/19 yard line I just get as far back as I can. A dry fire practice session takes about 30 minutes including taping up the target.

As far as the working out goes I am getting stronger. Not as strong as I once was, but better than when I started back. My arthritic shoulder is hurting less and letting me do more. Still some limitations though. But even there it does hurt less when I push it.

10. Not really a prep, more of a bush-craft thing, but I made some char cloth and tried it out. Real simple. Now the only fire starting methods I need to check off the list are fire piston and bow drill (been working on that a while, not there yet.)

Most of my preps are on hold, even sliding backwards a little as we are using some consumables. All this is because we are saving for moving into the new house.

I keep reminding myself that the move is actually a huge prep in itself.

11. got into another precision rifle, my first savage. so far, it feels just as smooth as my other remington 700 but has alot more options for the same price. we will see how she shoots this weekend.

its a savage 10 FCP-SR in .308. beautiful heavy fluted barrel with AICS mags and a surefire brake.

12. Took my ccw class.

13. One of the best preps that you will ever do! Congratulations to you! I feel better knowing that there is another good guy walking around with gun in case one of the bad guys acts up.

14. :thumbsup:

Try putting up different targets to the left and right and switching from target to target. Just pick a number of shots for each target (maybe 3 to 20) each round and mix up the sequence. Try different movements like moving just arms, just at shoulders, at waist, then footwork.

You can learn much about positioning before firing a real shot, kind of like cooking on a backpacking stove in the back yard before taking it on a three week trip into the back country.

(bad analogy to the whole gun thing but okay analogy to positioning)

#254 OMDonald, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  15. Not much room for additional targets. The end of the range is basically in a stairwell where I can place a fullsize target. Can't go the other direction because that is where the pegboard is in the basement garage. Might be able to place some targets at a shorter range somewhere in the middle. I do have to deal with some objects so I can deal with cover/concealment possibly. I am going to add more drills and stuff, but right now I want to get the very basics down like trigger control and sight alignment. I used to be more skilled, but lost a good amount of my skill with a few years of not consistently practicing.

16. Took a 3.5 hour course. 6 students. Meant see the instructor and 5 students doing the same things. Tire repair on off road vehicles; review of use of hi lift jack as a jack and a substitute for a wrench.

Saw multiple techniques for breaking the bead on a tire. Witnessed use of rope/chains/straps on vehicle recovery.

Next classes will be on bicycle repair and maintenance.

17. quake

Millennium Member

Me & another guy from church (a fireman from our town) took seven high-school seniors on a three-day trip to Oklahoma to help clean up tornado-struck homes in Moore and McLoud. Seeing that kind of devastation first-hand drove home the vulnerability of daily life much stronger to those boys than they ever got from seeing it on tv as they have in the past. We had some decent discussions on the way back home, about storm cellars, stored foods, hygiene & disease issues in emergency situations, etc.

The health & hygiene topic was driven home viscerally when the fireman and I were moving a refrigerator out of the remains of a house. The fridge/freezer had been closed up without power for a week or two and was about as funky inside as anything can get. While we were moving it, the freezer door popped open momentarily, giving everyone a good snoutfull, and our high-school quarterback found himself running & heaving over the porch rail. :supergrin:

So besides helping some folks who really need it, maybe the trip will help cement the prep mindset into the boys in a much more personal way.

18. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Thanks for your selfless service to those truly in need, helping to mend a broken community! :thumbsup:

#258 LongGun1, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  19. quake

Millennium Member

Appreciate it, but not truly selfless imo. I actually enjoy helping people, and I believe most decent people do to one degree or another. Plus if the experience helps make any of those kids become better prepared someday, more appreciative now of what they haven't lost, or possibly even help make them a little bit better person in general, it's something that gives me personal gratification/pleasure. And something done for the purposes of personal gratification or pleasure isn't selfless, but rather selfish in nature. At least in the way I look at 'selfishness'.

20. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

I think you would like this most excellent book..IMO

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1475223315"]Above Reproach:Amazon:Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51orVi3gdrL.@@AMEPARAM@@51orVi3gdrL[/ame]

..a lot of 'selfishness' going on with the lead characters...

..the good kind that is! :)

It is also available as an inexpensive download from Amazon.

As for me...

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpreps/forums3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3397

..this thread is a good percentage of my prepping effort right now.

Like a well-tended garden..

..we hope to be enjoying the 'fruits of the harvest' in the next few months & for many years to come!

#260 LongGun1, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013