close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

2012: What have you done this week to prepare?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by G29Reload, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I need to learn more about these. Things like...how to use them in winter, using them hours on end for roasts and such, principles behind them, etc.

-Emt1581

2. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    You need to buy a solar oven cookbook. My sister in Maine just bought a great book on making bread and sent me one too, here is a link:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Reinharts-Artisan-Breads-Every/dp/1580089984/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_A9HGpb1KWJ7CJ_tt"]Amazon.com: Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day (9781580089982): Peter Reinhart: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514dDCGHT3L.@@AMEPARAM@@514dDCGHT3L[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
  4. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Completed two bucket water filter project. Reviewed the filters and purifiers on hand and bought lithium batteries for the steripens.

Continued shedding possessions. Had a client come and haul away stuff for sale at shows. (A significant part of preparations is getting rid of stuff that no longer works or is not needed).

5. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Bought:

Two bags of betadine wipes
    Two wound management kits
    Two QuikClot Blood Clotting Sponge (50 gram)
    One Black Diamond Orbit LED Lantern (10-45 lumen)
    One Sawyer "1 million gallon" gravity water filter

Used my 20% off members coupon @ REI so the water filter was only $80.

6. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
  7. I got a Colt LE6920CA.

That should keep the zombies at bay for a while.

8. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker

Feb 16, 2009
    not a thing as nothing will happen in this lifetime that requires more then a few days to get back to normal

9. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    You're funny.

In an illogical, "let's ignore history in favor of regurgitated platitudes" kind of way; but funny. :wavey:

10. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Nice week! :thumbsup:

Started my week this afternoon by giving basic semi-auto defensive pistol & knife training to my niece..a RN.

Was very pleased with her weapons handling, presentation & marksmanship with the G19! :supergrin:

Presented her with a Benchmade/HK Vex for EDC!

Considering replacing/supplementing the G19s with a couple of CZ P07 Duty (threaded version) as primary suppressed platform

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/

Got a chance to T&E + run a belt thru a new Shrike on Friday..

..lots of fun & very nice for the price!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  11. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    LG1- You fired it?!?! Holy crap! I didn't even think they brought them to market yet. How much was it?

Thanks

-Emt1581

12. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

:supergrin:

:cool:

IIRC, the WTC was a smoking twisted pile of rubble when the deposit was made on this new concept! It has been a LOOONG wait!

The price was lower for those very early adopters & is confidential!

13. ordered a shockwave tech. raptor grip for my shotgun - it shipped today.
    got 100 rounds for my glock 35. still need to get dies and components to reload for 40.

applied for a different job that is in line with my current degree - i'm in my senior year of college now. should make prepping a bit easier again and make up for my wife losing her job this last week.

forgot to add:
    went to land between the lakes for a hike with my GHB. did 10 miles in hilly terrain in 3 hours. decided that at 25lbs, my GHB is a bit much for a GHB and not enough for a BOB. time to rethink some stuff. wanted to test out a new filter and cook on my pocket stove but the trails i chose werent as close to the water as i thought, and i decided a hot lunch was a waste while hot in the sun anyway.
    i do plan to make an overnight trip in the next month if i can. will test a bit more and be able to spend some more time out in the woods.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  14. JackMac

JackMac

Mar 13, 2011
    TX
    case of buckshot, Mountain House freeze dried #10 can foods, can goods from grocery store and white rice and beans. Reloading supplies too.

15. jp3975

jp3975

Nov 13, 2008
    Texarkana, Tx
    Hell, I'll do some volunteer work to shoot a few machine guns here and there and learn a bit more about guns.

Im in Shreveport every weekend.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  16. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Ordered GoalZero 7watt solar battery charger/power "Adventure" kit + Luna Light, Costco having a sale on them. $109. Beats GZ's normal price of $172 for same

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  17. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Those seem very interesting.

Living in the cloudy pacific NW, I'd prefer a 15w version as I probably would only get ~50% efficiency out of it 3/4 of the year.

18. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    I was reading how a different technology, the sort used in the PowerFilm charger (copper induim gallium selenide? amorphous? CIGS panel?), was superior for overcast/low light. The GZ item I bought (monocrystalline) is best for bright, direct sun.

You can't deny the PowerFilm's coolness factor, rollable and all.

Check it:

http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/rollable-solar-chargers.php

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  19. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Just picked up a SOG Trident on sale at walmart for $39.98. Also got a box of 38spl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.