close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2012 Charger, disable seatbelt chime?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ottomatic, Aug 14, 2011.

1. ottomatic

ottomatic
    Expand Collapse

Just got a brand new '12 Charger. All kinds of electronic junk on it. Does anyone know how to disable the seatbelt warning chime (Yes, I know, the preferred way is to USE the seatbelt!) ?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Jwatts02

Jwatts02
    Expand Collapse

Slot of the new vehicles coming out will not let you disable it. You could always go to a salvage yard and get a buckle and just click it in.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. smokeross

smokeross
    Expand Collapse
    GTDS Member #49

I just locate the damn thing, and unplug it on every vehicle I own.

4. sixgun2

sixgun2
    Expand Collapse
    packin heat

Might be problematic, disabling seat belt system may also shut down several key computer systems by default, up to including failure of the car to run. purposely designed that way.:wavey:

5. Vigilant

Vigilant
    Expand Collapse

Outstanding avatar, Mister Smoke. :thumbsup:

6. actionshooter10

actionshooter10
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

There are several makes that use the seatbelt indicator to enable the airbag. I would suggest you do some research and make sure the Charger is not affected.

7. jdm86

jdm86
    Expand Collapse

Just disabled ours at work. While sitting in the car with the doors shut and key on your person, press the engine start button so its on RUN but don't start the car. Make sure the seatbelt is already buckled before starting this. Once the ignition is on RUN, unclick and re-click the seatbelt about 5-6 times. On the last one, leave it buckled. Now press the button so the ignition is off, and it should chime.

It will still display the seatbelt is unbuckled on the information display but there is no chime.

8. scottydl

scottydl
    Expand Collapse

This is a pretty discouraging conversation. It's like someone asking on CT "does anyone know how I can get this bothersome bullet-resistant vest off?" :shocked:

9. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII
    Expand Collapse
    Adorkable
    CLM

Not necessarily. Our ambulance anti thefts don't read that it's in park, so if you're sitting in park in a parking lot, the seatbelt chime will continually go off.

Red

10. GackMan

GackMan
    Expand Collapse

Because when I'm rolling through a neighborhood going 5 MPH at 3:00 am blacked out with my windows down and my seatbelt off looking and listening for someone... I really want that DING DING DING for my safety.

11. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

As noted there may be a couple of decent reasons to disable the seat belt chime which is why both recent police package sedans seem to have the capability programmed into them.

12. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano
    Expand Collapse
    VIVA MEXICO !!!

I know where you're coming from, but many of us don't need a chime to remind us to wear a seatbelt, and sometimes we need or want to not put it on for a number of reasons and the damn chime is annoying.

I know, no one can predict if going lights off at 3:00AM without the seatbelt a car is going to crash you at 90mph and kill you, but as responsible adults we need to outweigh those risks.
    Same with the vest. If it were a 20lb. outer vest with ballistic plates front and back, 120°F outside, you don't take it off on a traffic stop or a high risk warrant, but maybe you go for your break to a secluded place and take it off a while, also knowing the risks that maybe a cartel member passes by and shoots you with an AK.

Guess everyone should make their decisions and live with the outcome of them.

#12 PuroMexicano, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  13. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard
    Expand Collapse
    The Anti-Glock

+1 I have one for the Ford CV.

14. rookie1

rookie1
    Expand Collapse

As of right now we all have Crown Vic's. Some of our guys went to ford and asked for a seatbelt extender giving them to the officers for free. This has two advantages. The first it no longer has the DING, DING, DING. The second it adds 6-8 inches to where you clip the belt in no longer requiring you to bounce around moving your holster and everything to click it in. Maybe dodge has the same, they are intended for fat people I guess.

[​IMG]

#14 rookie1, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  15. scottydl

scottydl
    Expand Collapse

I don't buy any of the excuses for NOT wearing a seatbelt, it takes 2 seconds (or less) to get it off even in you do have to bail out and chase someone. Most of my experience of those wanting to disable seatbelt reminders is because they want to routine patrol without them, not for any of the reasons mentioned above. Mine is always on, and I've never NOT been able to quickly remove it to bail out on a runner or anything else because of it.

Unnecessary vehicle deaths kill a lot of cops every year, and it's a really stupid and preventable way to die. That's all I'm saying.

16. puckhead

puckhead
    Expand Collapse

Theres plenty of good reasons to not wear a seat belt at certain times. We have all out sound items muted. Blinker click seat belt etc. Everyone still wears their seat belt on normal patrol.

17. rookie1

rookie1
    Expand Collapse

I can say that I carry my taser on my left side, like most right handers with the battery that holds the extra cartridge making it stick out there pretty far. MANY, MANY times the seatbelt has got caught on that getting out of the car in a hurry and twisting my belt and putting things in a uncomfortable position. That being said I will not wear the seatbelt in my downtown area where the speed limit is 25 and for the most part not that safe to go faster than that. There are hundreds of college students drinking, fighting, pissing, being loud etc. Most times I'm driving around at 20 or so just looking around with no radio but deal with the dinging. If I am outside the downtown I wear it. Stats show that something around 40% of fatal LOD accidents the seatbelt was not worn, unfortunate but some NEVER wear the belt. I guess I take my chances.

18. rookie1

rookie1
    Expand Collapse

Not disagreeing but has anyone tried to get out of the car with the belt still on.

19. OngoingFreedom

OngoingFreedom
    Expand Collapse

Double post.

#19 OngoingFreedom, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  20. OngoingFreedom

OngoingFreedom
    Expand Collapse

Double post.

#20 OngoingFreedom, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011