close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

200g hardcast & blue dot

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by midwayman, Jan 2, 2011.

1. midwayman

midwayman

Nov 26, 2010
    I am a long time reader and have enjoyed all the info I have soaked up off of this forum. I am lookin for load info on the 200g wfngc from double tap. I been shooting the 230 grainer and want to lighten the load a bit. I shoot a delta elite with a 24# spring. I am using winchester brass, cci #300 primers, and blue dot powder. With the 230's I used 8.5g of blue dot and it hit hard. Killed two deer this year with that load and both were ventilated thru and thru. I have loaded the 200g XTP with 10.0g with good success. (I see were others have used 10.5) I am guessing I can ease towards 10.5g with the hardcast with less pressure (and more velocity I hope). I aint looking for no barrel burning loads. Just looking for more advice.
    Thanks,
    Justin

2. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    I load the Hornady 200XTP's with the 10.5 Blue Dot and consider it MAXIMUM! These are hand weighed each and everyone with bullets seat to 1.260" and from the S&W 1006 they run 1175-1200fps...This is over recent book specs but Speer listed there 200 FMJ using this load(1992 as this is with older Blue Dot from Hercules) seated to 1.250" @ 1165fps from a Delta Elite. Therefore use caution!

Your results may be slightly different and you should work up to what your weapon will handle safely!

3. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    You may also consider trying Accurate #9. I have had good results with the DT 200 gr WFNGC hardcast in my G20. With the stock barrel the following load yields an average of 1205 fps:

I DID NOT GET THIS RECIPE FROM ANY PUBLISHED DATA SO IT MAY BE IN EXCESS OF SAAMI PRESSURES. Reduce and work up slowly.

Case: Starline brass
    Primer: CCI 350 (LP Mag)
    Powder: 13.8 grains Accurate #9
    COL: 1.26"

I have not experienced symptoms of excess pressure with that load. Maximum case expansion about the pressure band is acceptable in my setup.

I like Blue Dot, but A9 is very clean-burning and low flash. May be worth a try.

4. midwayman

midwayman

Nov 26, 2010
    I hav'nt been able to find A#9 or 800X around these parts, thats why I settled for blue dot. I am planning on working up a decent load, I am just looking for a reasonable starting point.

5. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I wonder if CanyonMan has his ears on. I believe he's loaded a bunch of Blue Dot behind 200 gr hardcast bullets.