Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

2000 GMC Sierra question

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by shadow_dog, Oct 15, 2005.

1. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Mar 6, 2004
    SW Ohio
    My GMC acts like it is flooded or not getting enough gas when I try to start it. It takes 2 tries and then I have to give it the gas to smooth out because of rough idling. Dealer done an injector cleanup and TB butterfly cleanup about 10,000 miles ago. It got new plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter and air filter 2 weeks ago. It was doing it periodically before the tune up but has got progressively worse. 72,000 miles on it. 5300 V-8 engine.

Any thoughts?
  2. If it's blowing black smoke when it starts up, the fule pressure regulator diaphragm is ruptured, allowing fuel to get straight into the intake and flooding the engine. This was pretty common for a awhile on the 5.3's, but haven't seen it for awhile.

To check it, let it sit for awhile after running. There is a small vacuum line running the the regulator on the fuel rail on the driver's side of the intake about middle of the engine, front to back. The regulator is about 1.5" around and the vacuum line had a 90 degree bend on top of the regulator. Pull the line off and see if their is fuel in it, if not, try to smell for fuel there. If there is evedence of fuel, the regulator needs to be replaced. This can be done with a pair of snap ring pliers and a pick to get the parts out of the regulator body, it's fairly simple and should only take a few minutes. Hope this helps.

3. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Nov 25, 2001
    I like annoying people.
    Vortecs are known for injectors going bad, causing the same problems you are having:(
  4. BigC3031

BigC3031 Vigilante

Nov 6, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've had more vortechs than fingers and not had an injector problem, but could just be lucky.

I would check your fuel filter, if it's really jammed up it can starve the engine and is cheap regular maint. anyway.
  5. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Mar 6, 2004
    SW Ohio
    It was the fuel pressure regulator. Thanks knightkrawler00 for the help. Thanks to all for the input.