Glock Talk banner

20# spring compromise?

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Chainlink 
#1 ·
I hear a lot of folks talk about the 22# spring, but was curious to know what you all think of going with a 20#.

Looking for a compromise between my IDPA loads and hunting loads.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Get some of each! They are not too expensive. That way you can swap for the ammo impulse your intended on using. Higher impulse ammo also tosses the brass in a low earth orbit, the extra power springs tend to help them stay a little closer in. Some have had issues with certain types of aftermarket springs in the g-20's, so check and search to see who is getting best results with what type. Maybe some one could shed more on the G-20 RSA for you.

I use the WolfF Gun Springs two piece recoil rod and dual 21 lb spring set on my Glock 29. I also use the 22lb on my S&W 5" guns.

#3 ·
I had the same thought before I put together my 6" G20LS. I found that even light 40 powered 10mm reloads functioned fine even with the 22# spring. The G20LS weighs about 25% more than a factory slide, so that slows down the cycling even more. You can get ISMI springs for $8 shipped on eBay, so they're more than cheap enough to just buy a few & calibrate your gun the way you like it.

#4 ·
I ended up buying (2) SS captured guiderods, and setting them up for different purposes. I have the 22# setup for the hot 10mm stuff, and a 13# setup for my 40 Major USPSA loads. The factory RSA does just fine with most 10mm ammo (even the hot stuff), so I'd just run that for IDPA & a Extra Power spring for the heavy stuff.

#5 ·
I ended up buying (2) SS captured guiderods, and setting them up for different purposes. I have the 22# setup for the hot 10mm stuff, and a 13# setup for my 40 Major USPSA loads. The factory RSA does just fine with most 10mm ammo (even the hot stuff), so I'd just run that for IDPA & a Extra Power spring for the heavy stuff.
I think your on the right track. I run a 13lbs that stays with my .40 barrel and run the stock spring for all my 10mm stuff. To be honest with full power (200gr @1200) stuff both the stock spring and a ismi 24 the brass flew about the same(far), so I just run the stock one.

#6 ·
Thanks guys.

I figured having two setups was going to be the popular consensus.

I was hoping for a "One spring to rule them all" kinda thing. ;)

#9 ·
Lemat,

I've always used a 20lb spring with both my 10mm 1911's AND Glocks. That being said, I think the 20lb is perfect in a 1911, even for super hot loads, but I think the G20 can take a bit heavier spring with no ill effect due to design differences.

Perfect 10mm setup with....

1911: flat bottomed firing ping stop and 20lb recoil spring
Glock: 22lb recoil spring (since there is no firing ping stop)

#10 ·
I put a 23# on my g29 because I thought I felt the slide slamming back too hard with full power Underwoods. But then muzzle flip seemed to go up. I dropped to a 21# and it seems to work ok. Get a multi-pack from Wolff, like others have said they are cheap.

Both springs have shot 10mm and .40 cal with no jams though.

#11 ·
Lemat,

1911: flat bottomed firing ping stop and 20lb recoil spring
That is my setup for shooting 255gr SWC's in my SR19111. ;)

Think I'll go with the 22# the G20. How often you folks changing those out?

#12 ·
That is my setup for shooting 255gr SWC's in my SR19111. ;)

Think I'll go with the 22# the G20. How often you folks changing those out?
Every 3-5k rounds is the rule or every year or two. They are pretty cheap insurance for reliability.

#13 ·
I generally change springs in most everything right around 5,000. Thanks!

#14 ·
I have a whole assortment I used for testing. to be honest I dont know there is a need for the heavier spring under normal circumstances with less than nuclear loads, unless you see battering of the frame. I actually ended up going with a 15# spring with my compensator, and could go lower to 13#. the 20# gave me malfs with the comp.

#16 ·
Lemat, i have used the 21 and 22 lb springs without issue even with the 40 short and week popcorn fart loads. But if I were to shoot a steady diet of weak 10 or standard 40 I would just put the stock spring in.
same here.
both Wolff and ISMI 24lb springs work with .40 loads in my gun.
I went back to using the stock spring though.

#18 ·
Lemat, i have used the 21 and 22 lb springs without issue even with the 40 short and week popcorn fart loads. But if I were to shoot a steady diet of weak 10 or standard 40 I would just put the stock spring in.

Now can we scout it :)

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Probably not, but we can sure talk about how to do it until we're blue in the face! :lol: Didn't know you were over here too, don't tell the guys. :lol:

I'm planning on running it in some matches next season. No reason to make 'em even close to nuclear, so I figure somewhere around 1100fps. I'm thinking around 9.5-9.8gr of Blue Dot might be just about right.

#19 ·
Probably not, but we can sure talk about how to do it until we're blue in the face! :lol: Didn't know you were over here too, don't tell the guys. :lol:

I'm planning on running it in some matches next season. No reason to make 'em even close to nuclear, so I figure somewhere around 1100fps. I'm thinking around 9.5-9.8gr of Blue Dot might be just about right.
Even at those speeds the 22 lb works great....works for the 40 just fine too.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.