close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

20" DMPS A2 range report (PICS)

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bmoore, Jun 23, 2011.

1. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    ATTENTION BEFORE READING------ I am not an operator, I am not a police officer, I do not have plans on going into combat, I have general marksman skills, I plink cans, paper, junk and coyotes. I don't go to rifle courses. I fully understand there are better quality AR's out there. I dont make enough for a 3,000 dollar AR and dont put 3,000 dollar AR's on my credit card. That being said, this is my rifle and I love it. It makes a nice addition to my Smith M&P15

Took my recent build to the range today. Its a JD lower, PSA lower parts kit, Model 1 A2 stock with a DPMS 20" A2 upper. I built this rifle for about 670 bucks. Before the range it was cleaned, oiled and greased. I also leveled the front site post and midlined the widage adjustment. I put 140 rounds through it today including PMC 55grn FMJ, Winchester superX 55grn pointed soft point, and 50grn Remington UMC hollowpoints. It shot great. It started with a tight group 4 inches low and 1 inch to the right at 50 yards. It took 9 other shots in groups of 3 to bring it to zero. The sight adjustments were sturdy and solid when adjusting. I was very happy to see how tight the groups were for this gun. I did not do any special barrel break in procedure, I also did not rapid fire the crap out of the thing either. Not that this was some kind of torture test, but the rifle had zero stoppages of any kind.

I do not shot 3,000 rounds a week, I shoot more like maybe 1,000 to 1,500 a year. If something goes down on the rifle I will upgrade the part, but right now I am going to shoot and enjoy this sucker. The gas key appears to be staked well from what I can tell. All the brass kicked out at the 4oclock positon about 10-12 feet away from me. Ok DPMS haters lets hear it....................

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Congratulations on your new rifle. Have fun and shoot the snot out of it. :wavey:

(Don't let the little weiney's, that are sure to come, get you down)

3. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    LOL oh dont worry, I wont.

4. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    I like the simplicity of it......I'm looking to get an A4 style rifle.

5. Lee-online

Lee-online Mul-ti-pass

Mar 13, 2006
    Susquehanna Valley, PA
    Nice.

I was on the fence with getting a dpms 20" dcm upper. I played with a friends and i loved it. I didn't get the dpms but i still think they are great rifles.

6. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Well if your going to get a DPMS the rifle versions are the most trouble free. You should try it at a three gun match. Its a lot of fun. I would have someone stake the carrier key for you. Get a BCM spare bolt when money allows. The fact it has ran fine so far means the chamber is probably in spec.(A crap shoot with DPMS) You must have gotten one that was made on a new reamer. I am glad its working for you.
    Pat

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  7. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    The bolt will be the first to get upgraded, along with a Vltor charging handle. I put a Vltor on my Smith M&P15 and love it.

8. azbuckeye

azbuckeye

Jan 15, 2011
    On the beach
    bmoore

Nice looking AR. It sounds like you're happy with the rifle and for me that's enough said.

I have a Bushmaster 20" A2 and have no plans to add anything to it but ammo. The tactical rifles with all the modern gadgets are nice, but I'm "old school" and would rather spend my $$$ on ammo

Enjoy....

9. scromer

scromer Millennium Member

Oct 22, 1999
    Upstate South Carolina
    I'm going to build me an A2 here soon. I love the rugged simplicity and versatility of the A2 sights.

10. nickster

nickster

Mar 15, 2002
    way out west
    Nice rifle! I have two of them and they run great, enjoy.

11. trigger45

trigger45 G23 Millennium Member

Dec 27, 1998
    Texas, USA
    I have a dpms tac-16. its a dissipator. dime sized groups with a 6x scope for 10 shots. they make good rifles.

12. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    I think DPMS is ok for most folks. My gripe is their pricing. With the market now it's worth less then they are selling for when you can get a far better Spikes or other for not much more $.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  13. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    If you're looking to upgrade charging handles, look at the BCM, they're pretty nice as well. Are you shooting it with the carry handle or some sort of flip up rear sight?

While a DPMS certainly wouldn't be my choice, glad you're happy with your rifle.

14. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Its an A2 upper, i shoot it bone stock with the irons. I have a Vltor gunfighter charging handle on my Smith M&P and it is very nice.

15. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    Man I'm having a case of the boneheads, I saw A2, and somehow thought A4.

However, after looking up the Vltor, it looks like we're talking about the same charging handle.

Not sure if Vltor just paid to have their name on it, or if Vltor and BCM got together to design it, but we're talking about the very same BCM Gunfighter charging handle, they are indeed pretty slick.

I'm still running an old school PRI gasbuster, and a Badger Ord tac latch, but my next one will be a gunfighter.

16. The Gunfighter was designed as a collaborative effort with Vltor ultimately building and manufacturing the product. It was the result of many conversations over the phone.

From the BCM Gunfighter Product Description:
    "We have been very fortunate to receive continuing feedback from trainers and operators alike for several years now regarding these issues.Internally we have seen this many times while in the course of continually test firing weapons before sale.Initially we matched up a couple prototype solutions, but in conversations with Eric at VLTOR, he was able to develop a better design at a better price for the consumer.(VLTOR patent pending)"

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011