close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2.5 HDD enclosure woes

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MrsKitty, Jul 5, 2007.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty
    Expand Collapse

I have a newer Toshiba lappy with a Toshiba HDD that is not a mini-IDE connection. My plan to pop it in an enclosure and access it isn't working... Ideas?

Does anybody make an adapter?

I suspect this is Toshiba's way to force me to buy another HDD...which I don't need! I need a MB and am trying to get to some files of this system.

My only other idea is to pop it in a new laptop (that isn't mine--mine are mini-IDE) but I haven't gotten permission to do that, yet but the way things are going I wouldn't be suprised to find it is mini-IDE instead of this funky card-type connection.

Help!

Thanks, guys! :wavey:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. HAVOC

HAVOC
    Expand Collapse
    Remember
    Millennium Member CLM

Alright, what specifically is the drive? Is it an SATA drive? That tech has filtered into laptops now. Does it look like the connectors here?
    [​IMG]

If not, are you sure it doesn't have an adapter that's plugged into the 44 pin IDE port?

What's the model number of the drive? I can't imagine they made a completely custom drive just to nail you on buying drives from them in the future. Maybe a picture of the interface from a couple of useful angles?

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty
    Expand Collapse

Yup, it is SATA. I didn't recognize it...

MK4032GSX

4. HAVOC

HAVOC
    Expand Collapse
    Remember
    Millennium Member CLM

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty
    Expand Collapse

I am going to see if I can find another laptop or desktop I can pop it into. Surely, somebody I know with a new one should have a fit. All our stuff is IDE.

Prices for these adapters/enclosures is as much as the drive itself! :shocked:

Thanks! :wavey:

6. srhoades

srhoades
    Expand Collapse

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty
    Expand Collapse

I looked at those at New Egg. The ones with reviews didn't seem too promising.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.
    Expand Collapse

For notebook 2.5" hard drives the power for them is the same connector as the data cable. This would make them different from a desktop 3.5" serial ATA drive. The external enclosures for them are becoming more common. They are popular with Apple Imac's but Mac accessories can be a bit pricey.

9. g29andy

g29andy
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

I had great customer service from CMS Products.

They hooked me up when I upgraded my laptop HD. They sent the enclosure, cable, and software. And, I spoke to a real person in the CONUS.

10. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member
    CLM

I've had a stable of 1.8" and 2.5" external enclosures for > 2 years, always housing a Toshiba HDD. My "biggie" at the moment is a 120GB (w/16MB cache) MK1234GSX in this enclosure. It's been glitch-free. I think this will fit yours, too. Anyway, you can get the complete specs on your HDD here .

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty
    Expand Collapse

I think we are just going to pick up another laptop. If we get something with a SATA HDD, I can pop it in there to backup the docs. I am pretty certain the MB is shot and it just isn't logical to replace it when the laptop was less than $400 and can be replaced for about the same--it is used for email, Internet and Word mostly so there is no need to pick up a top of the line model.

Thanks, guys! :wavey: