1x4 or 2x8 Nikon 223 scope on my M4?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by WarEagle32, Oct 11, 2012.

1. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 Desert Dweller

Depends on your use. As I have gotten older the extent of my hunting is prairie dogs. At 200 yds I really appreciate my 4x16. Vortex makes a great scope for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I was down there this weekend, they had another one behind the counter.

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

3. I have the Nikon M223 1x4 and the P223 3x scopes. Both very good scopes IMO. When I bought the P223 it was when Nikon was giving away the P-Series mounts for free when you purchased the scope. Main reason I bought it, just a great deal with the free mount. I doubt I ever mount it for use, dang impulse buys! :(

I bought the M-223 scope mount outright. Both mounts are very nice as well.

I am not crazy about the fixed 3x magnification, I prefer the variable 1x4 scope myself. It's a personal thing more than anything else, my eyes just do better with the 1x4 (set at 1x) for anything up close. I have mounted but never shot with the P223.

#23 Ruggles, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

4. I'd go 1x4 thats best suited for an M4 IMHO.

5. The more I shoot my 2-7x30 Leupold scopes, the more I believe that they are truly the bees knees. From 6 feet to 600 yards they just plain work!

6. Important to note that the trajectory described works for 75-77 grain bullets. 1" high at 100 yards with something like a 50 gr Vmax would still be about .6" high at 200 yards, assuming the standard AR optic height over bore of 2.6 inches. Peak projectile rise over line of sight would be about 1.4 inch at 140 yards with zeroes at 60 yards and 220 yards.

#26 Matthew Courtney, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  7. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

I've got an EOtech 512 and plan on a 3x magnifier for it.

8. Have a Millett 1-4X DMS 26 mm on my M4gery. Works for me, illuminated reticle [doughnut hole] is fast on target acquisitions..center in the doughnut hole, squeeze..next.

9. bman940

bman940 Nikon Pro Staff

It's like anything you want to buy, do your research, then go look down the tubes of the ones you are interested in buying.I did the same thing with my carry gun. Asked a ton of question's, looked at a dozen pistols and even though I was not a glock fan at the time, checked them out as well. Wouldn't you know it, I liked the 22 and 23, got a freind to take me to the range to shoot his and bought both! Some times you have to a hve an open mind. I go through that all the time with guy's who are dead set against trying Nikon's BDC reticle scopes. I understand if you aren't familiar with them, but check them out, check out Spot On and if you can, get behind one. I have not taken one person to the range to try my BDC scopes who hasn't become a convert. An open mind is a wonderful thing.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/Screenshot2012-10-17at34248PM.png

10. I agree. I'm just a hunter and range commando, but this advice seems spot on.

I remember hunting with a scoped pistol fixed 2.5x. A deer came trotting under my tree stand and I couldn't keep up with it to get centered in my scope. End of season, I took the scope off and put on a red dot. I've shot deer before with iron sighted pistol, but had wanted a longer range option. While a rifle scope is closer to your eye than a pistol scope, and therefore has a larger field of view, when animals are real close into you, any magnification is a hinderance.

But at the range, sitting on at a bench, sure it is fun zooming in on a target.

In hunting situations, 3x is plenty for woods type stuff. Was sitting on a stump once, and had a buck trot up to me and stop and look at me. No movement, I'm not here, you can't see me. Then he starts to walk up the hill a bit. Let him go far enough, then quietly raise and click safety off and BOOM dropped right there. All at 3x, even though the scope goes up to 9x, which I definitely would not had wanted it to be set at in that situation.

If I was on the edge of a field, hunting woodchucks at 100 yards or more, then sure, zoom in to 8x, 9x, 12x, 16x, whatever you got, as long as you have time and can hold steady.

On my slug gun, I use a 1.5-4.5x. I walk around with it on 1.5x to trip across bedded deer.

#30 ithaca_deerslayer, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

1-4 works for me! I have a 1.5-4 Leupold on one of my Carbines.
    Works from 10m all the way out to 300m on torso size targets.
    Field of vision is superior to a "hunting" scope

12. Iron sights are good to 300 meters when you're talking torso targets, for crying out loud! I'm sure a 4x scope is easier but you get my point.

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

I'm gettin old,.......rear sight can be a biOTch to pick up at times.:embarassed: