close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

1988 Glock 17 Gen1 - upgrade or keep as-is

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by paulfisher44, Aug 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ok, need to figure out whether to keep my G17 stock as-is or upgrade it to get the most from it.
    I already have a G22 modified including Wolf barrel (police trade).
    But the Gen1 I think could do with some mods to aid in accuracy etc.
    I tend to think of Glocks as tools and not heirlooms / sock drawer stuffers. but there is a certain coolness having a mint condition Gen1 with low miles :)

I want to enter some GSSF competitions and I think using a Gen1 stock will not give me much of an edge over someone with a Gen4 RTF etc.

any one got any thoughts ?

2. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Jun 21, 2006
    Somewhere in MD
    Please keep it stock! And post pics.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

3. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA

Sep 9, 2012
    Washington
    It depends, if in a very good state, especially mint condition, I would probably keep as is. If I had the original box and such it would most likely become a safe queen. YMMV

4. MiGS

MiGS

Sep 29, 2014
    My 1988 Gen 1 only has mods that are reversible. Works for me now. Back to in the box, stock setup, if I ever want to sell it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  5. R3508

R3508 Curmudgeon

Dec 9, 2005
    State of Jefferson USA
    The only change to mine was Trijicon sights.
    [​IMG]

6. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    I say only do upgrades that don't damage the gun and can be easily replaced with the stock parts later on. Like upgrading the barrel should be fine, since it's simple to remove the upgrade and put the stock one back in.

7. +1 Keep it stock for as long as it is safe and functions

8. R3508

R3508 Curmudgeon

Dec 9, 2005
    State of Jefferson USA
    Say Paul, I will gladly trade you a gen 2 G17 that you can modify the crap out of...

[​IMG]

9. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    It'd be a no-brainer from my perspective: keep it stock.

Look at it this way, there are plenty of other Glocks out there, but not very many like yours. Why mess it up with "goodies" that may or may not even be that helpful.

Spend some extra time on practice if you want to do better in competition. And instead of buying extras to mess up your gun, spend the money on ammo to practice with.

That's my two cents...

Cheers
    (and yeah, my three Glocks are stock)

10. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA

Sep 9, 2012
    Washington
    Depends on the current condition, if you have the original box, etc.

11. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Your stock Gen1 G17 will serve you well in GSSF. No need to make any changes.:wavey:

An aftermarket barrel will bump you int Unlimited/Masters Division. I do not think you want to go there.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  12. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    I would keep it stock. I would have no interest in changing anything on that one.

13. SmithietheFox

SmithietheFox Stoner63A

Feb 28, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    If I were you, I'd keep it stock as others have said. However it is your gun and do what you'd like. I think the unmodified Gen 1s are cool and not that common but I don't believe they're quite as rare as many ppl think. Some guys speak as if they're exceedingly rare and blasphemous to even think of changing or modifying in any way. Early and cool but don't make the mistake of thinking it is anything like an unmodified pre-war Winchester.

14. gen178

gen178

Nov 9, 2014
    I looked for a pretty good while for a gen 1 in as close to mint condition as possible,so long in fact I gave up.then one day while shopping at a large gun show for a usgi 1911a1 (that were all grossly over priced by the way!!!) and I had my eye on a nice one and then out of the corner of my eye....there she was a mint,maybe unfired gen 1 with the box and all the goodies from the factory!!!needless to say I went home feeling more gratified than any 1911 in that room could of made me!
    my vote is leave her be,you cant wear these things out!find a better candidate:)

15. OmegaRunner

OmegaRunner

May 15, 2009
    Another +1 for keep it stock.....or sell to me.

16. Interesting ... I've never seen a Gen 1 and I think a Gen 2 as well until now.

They remind of the Porsche 911/Carrera ... while the design has evolved over time, the core DNA remains the same. You can see a 1970's Porsche 911 and immediately recognize it as such, as the current models are so true to the original form.