close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1969 870 Wingmaster vs New 870P

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by RutgersGrad, May 12, 2013.

1. Jim S.

Jim S.
    Expand Collapse

That's fine as long as you did what you wanted to do.
    My humble opinion is this...
    Nothing feels better than an old and well used Wingmaster.

$460.00 into the new gun. How much did you get for the old gun?
    Hopefully at least $200.00.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. glocksmith02

glocksmith02
    Expand Collapse

What cops did for years and years is called transition to sidearm, because the shotgun is now useless...

Aippi I saw that a lot during qualifications and scenario based training too. We used to have monthly stress shoots. Honestly, after we did that for a while and everyone put more rounds through the shotguns, proficiency improved a lot. Then we traded for 11-87's.

Rutgersgrad, I just bough a new 870p this week, model 24407. I would be totally uninterested in an express model. The 870p is far superior. That being said I wish I had the wingmaster I bought in 1968 back again. But if I had it, it would be for limited use, and treated like a prize possession.

3. vram74

vram74
    Expand Collapse

Think about it: If you should ever find yourself in a situation that requires you to "use" your shotgun, would you prefer the Police haul off your store bought 870 or the one your Dad gave you?

**Edit** Just now read that you sold it. You'll regret that. I regret getting rid of the guns my dad gave me.

#63 vram74, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  4. RutgersGrad

RutgersGrad
    Expand Collapse

I actually decided to get a 870P and I love it too . And in case anybody got me confused with another poster on this thread I did not sell my Dad's old Wingmaster. I had my reasons why I decided to get an 870P and I'm happy in my choice :) For one, my Dad probably wouldn't like if I made any modifications to it so I figured I might as well leave it as is and get my own in the config that I want.

#64 RutgersGrad, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  5. MStarmer

MStarmer
    Expand Collapse
    In Jail...

I honestly never understood this thinking? You see it a lot in the 1911 forums. If I am ever involved in a shooting (and survive) where the gun ends up and in what condition I get it back in (if ever) is of no concern to me. If I get a rusted hulk of a 1911 back and it's engraved and stamped with property numbers so be it. That gun has served it's purpose and deserves a place on my wall or desk. I'm sure if I used a weapon passed on to me my dad would rest well knowing it protected me and my family, not that it's sitting in a room somewhere...

6. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

OP, these are your answers right here. :cool:

7. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

Correct parts. The Breech bolt is $100, the carrier $20 and the slide is $22. So total is $142. Now the killer.... the flex tab conversion kit with all three parts is F93339 and is $87 but is LE restricted. Yet some guys have been lucky and got the right cubical clown to sell them one. Brownells list the kit for $99 but seems to always be sold out. So if Brownells can sell the kit to civilains Remington should.

8. Browner

Browner
    Expand Collapse

I went to a gun store in Jackson Michigan 2 days ago and asked them about a 870p. The first guy didn't know anything about 870 police models. However the other guy that came out was a retried cop. He knew more about them then I did. He found one at one of their distributors for a retail 810. He sold it to me for 740 plus tax. So I ordered it and hopefully will see it next week. The one I got had the mag ex, rifle sights, and reg but stock with recoil pad. I will add a Mesa stock later. Ron

9. Nestor

Nestor
    Expand Collapse
    Lean & Mean

Looks like the prices on 870P are creeping up.
    On top of that the new flexi-tab kit is nearly impossible to find and I've heard the rumours that Remington is classifying this kit as LE part only these days. So if You are planning to buy the older Wingmaster and modify it later with the flexi-tab kit...it may be difficult to accomplish actually.
    I just bought a complete 3" Wingmaster receiver from the early 90's already equipped in the flexi-tab. High gloss stock and forend. That will be my next build...or skeet gun, since a friend of mine is trying to get me into this sport.

10. Browner

Browner
    Expand Collapse

My 870P came in today. It took 2 Weeks to get it, but it was worth it. I'm looking at adding a Knoxx stock later maybe. The other 870P that I could have ordered had the Knoxx stock but were 5 shot tubes. So I went for the 7 shot, then I can add the Knoxx stock later. Ron