1937 Indian Ad.

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by 1955mercury, Jun 12, 2013.

1. This is an ad for a 1937 Indian Scout Jr. from an old magazine of mine. Notice that Indian put the hand shifter and foot clutch on the right side, opposite from Harley. The reason they gave for doing this, was so their customers would find a Harley awkward to ride after being accustomed to riding an Indian.

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. The irony is, it turned out to be the other way around. The Indian was a beautiful machine. They sure came back as a gaudy looking Ness mess. As is the Victory in my humble old Harley fan opinion.

3. At $195, we should buy a few and resell them for profit :)

4. :agree:
    Dano

5. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

I stopped by their display at bike week. They had the American pickers bike it was beautiful. You've got to love those old bikes and the craftsmanship that went into them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

6. The last real Indian I remember seeing was on the "Wall of Death" at the Elberton, Georgia county fair.

[​IMG]

7. >>Notice that Indian put the hand shifter and foot clutch on the right side<<

Fortunately, they could easily be converted over to the other side. My second bike (in 1959) was a 1945 Indian Chief that had been converted over to left hand shift/right side throttle. I can't imagine riding that thing today! :)