close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

1911 vs Glock 27 help

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by youngbuck, May 13, 2012.

1. youngbuck

youngbuck He's Tyrone!

Jan 4, 2010
    Alright fellas, I am currently in a debate on another forum (non gun specific forum) about the 1911. A member originally posted the following comment in response to someone getting a RIA Tactical as their ccw:

"Why a 1911? You should carry a gun that is reliable, holds appropriate rounds, have sufficient stopping power, is controllable and concealable.

Buying a Big .45 so you can say you carry one IMO is dumb. I really like my Glock .40 cals. A .40 Cal has equivalent stopping power as a .45, but is more controllable for the average guy and allows you to carry higher capacities."

I do not normally partake in caliber wars or in being a 1911 snob. I just felt this was a bit out of order and have made the case that a 5" 1911 is more accurate and has better controlability being a single stack with a longer barrel which also allows for a better sight radius vs a G27 (his stated carry piece.)

We have already discussed the fact a 1911 requires more maintenance than a Glock :upeyes: but I have not touched on the round count or people who anticipate recoil like he has stated. Any factual input on how to have a CIVIL discussion about other parts of the 1911 without just being a snob?

2. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Mar 9, 2009
    Vermont
    I don't know........

Can you really talk sense into people on a gun forum?

Let him have his .40..........

1911 users are a separate breed, and do not need to convince anyone that the 1911 is a great weapon.

The 1911 does not belong in the hands of many shooters....

3. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

Apr 26, 2012
    Pacific NW
    I don't know if I'm a breed apart... but I am a longtime 1911 user who has fairly recently come over to the Dark Side and am shooting and carrying Glocks (9mm). A good 1911 is a work of art. Both are great designs and have their advantages. I do agree that the 1911 is not for everyone.

4. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Arguing is just a waste of time. Both platforms have their positives and negatives. Carry whichever you prefer. That's the great thing about choice.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

5. youngbuck

youngbuck He's Tyrone!

Jan 4, 2010
    I also dont think a 1911 for carry is for everyone. I am still learning as well but I dont feel a person should be openly criticized in that manner

Perhaps I just need a better understanding as to why a .40 has less recoil than a .45?

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    My favorite two pistol platforms are the 1911 and Glock. I carry one or the other daily. There is no right or wrong answer, just personal opinions. Revolvers mostly hold 6 rounds, but they have been, and still are, carried all over the world, every single day. Sounds like the guy on the other forum is talking out of his ass, which is something that, unfortunately, is seen on any and every gun forum, gun store or general gun conversation that happens around the world every day. There are facts. And there opinions. BTW, you know I don't think there's anything wrong with CC'ing a G27. Hell, that's my username. :cool:

7. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    :dunno:, this is a very good point

:50cal:

8. youngbuck

youngbuck He's Tyrone!

Jan 4, 2010
    Its on a truck forum actually. They seem to go hand in hand :supergrin:

Glock2740, in two years of being around here I know you appreciate all kinds. I am just starting out but have no objection to anyone carrying a G.40 or whatever fits them the best. :wavey:

9. I am a 1911 fan and also own a few Glock models including the 27. if we are comparing a Glock 27 and an RIA 1911 for personal defense here, I would pick the 27 no doubt, not because of the size.

10. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Let me see if I can help you out a bit with this clown

I really think the person you quoted doesn't have any 1911/.45 experience and is just parroting what they guy at the gun counter said when he sold him the .40

11. Oldgaglocker

Oldgaglocker

Apr 17, 2012
    Georgia
    I have owed several 1911's including Kimbers and RIA. I have owned several Glock 40's(3) I now have just 2 auto's - G21's. No matter what you carry, the secret is practice till it is muscle memory. When I go to the range I dont try for tight groups I practice from 3-21 ft for center of mass. I also do IDPA at a local range. As a former LEO concealed carry is a great way for you to care for yourself and family. You should have proper training (not required in my state) and know you carry laws as well as when you can use lethal force. So enjoy yourself to each his own

12. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

May 20, 2000
    Tennessee
    I like them both, and have owned and carried many of both designs. I carry a G30sf now. Everyone carries what they want for different reasons. I hate cleaning a 1911, that's just me. The capacity is fine on both weapons. If I decided to carry another 1911 day and night now, it would probably be a 3-3.5 inch version. The 45acp and the .40 both get it done, so to me thats sort of a non-issue.
    What fits your hand better? Which design feels better to you? Which one do you shoot better? If someone shoots a 4" 38 better, i would want them armed with one, instead of the 1911 or glock.

13. wdp

wdp

Dec 27, 2011
    Twin Tiers, NY
    Yet another "my gun is better than yours" or ".40 vs 9 vs45" debate.....The beat goes on forever.
    Shoot whatever the hell you want and stop listening to all the forum nonsense, but just remember, "It's not the arrows, but the Indian"

14. :goodpost:

15. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I don't care for striker fired handguns so that's strike one for the G27. I personally think the 45acp is easier to control then then 40S&W, especially if you're talking the 155-165gr 40cal stuff so that's strike two against the G27. I also think the 1911 is an easier gun to shoot well because it IS a bit larger and has more weight to it and accuracy is more important to me then cartridge capacity IMHO. So that's a big plus for the 1911.
    Personally I do think a full size might be a bit much, that's why I like a Commander size gun for carry.:cool:

16. Either will do all you need it to do as a CCW.

17. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    I have found that the 40, out of a Glock anyway, is harder to shoot then any other round I've tried.

18. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Pretty much sums it up right here.

I will add one thing to consider. There are more than a few die hard 1911 fans that don't trust or don't like 1911s with barrels less than 4". Haters will hate, but when the "likers" have reservations, it's something to consider. :dunno:

19. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    I definitely find the 45 acp to be more comfortable to shoot as far as recoil- even my small statured wife would rather shoot a 45 than a 40. I still have 1911's my glock 27 went by bye (odd ball caliber- in that it was the only 40 I owned) and it was definitely harder to control than any 9mm (have replaced the 27 with a 26) and any 45 I have shot as well.