Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

1911 vs G19 as carry gun

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by wrx04, Feb 16, 2012.

1. wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    I know, i know.....i dont want this to turn into a mess. I would like to get some serious opinions on why you carry one over the other. I really like both platforms, and i dont think one is better than the other as a weapon......i like certain things about both, and think they are both outstanding guns.

Without attacking the one you disagree with, why do you carry what you do? I shoot both guns well, but im trying to decide on a single carry gun, so i dont switch back and forth all the time. Im starting to shoot competitively, and i am leaning towards a 1911 as my competition gun........i would like to carry what i shoot regularly. I like the feel of the 1911 and shoot it slightly better, but the glock, on paper, is the better carry gun IMO.

1911 pros/cons:
    I shoot the 1911 better than any other pistol, and have all my guns setup exactly how i like them. The ergonomics are great, and i love the big .45 round. The gun is very slim, which is awesome to carry, but it is also heavy and has a poor capacity compared to the G19. At the range, id pick the 1911 all day long, but not sold on it as a carry gun yet. I am NOT worried about the 1911 as being unreliable.....i have quality guns and take care of them properly.

G19 pros/cons:
    Its light, accurate, cheap, easy to replace parts, very reliable, striker fired, durable, decent trigger......a pretty damn good gun. The only negative i can find with the glock is that its a little thicker to carry.

Im starting to take some training courses (carbine, shotgun, and handgun), as well as uspsa, and i would like to use the same gun everywhere. How did you guys pick what you carry? I know this will probably be slightly biased towards the 1911, but i want to hear your opinion.
  2. CDR_Glock

Apr 1, 2010
    I prefer the 19. It has the capacity, it's easy to shoot. It is extremely reliable. It is expendable.

3. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

Feb 6, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Just for me, I would rather carry a Glock. Their beaters and the only weight you have is the slide and the barrell.
  4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I carry a Glock of some sort most of the time.
  5. LarryD1130

Aug 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Another vote for the Glock. It's lighter and it carries more.
  6. jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    The G19 is a great pistol. As far as 9mm pistols go, it, to me, is the quintessential pistol to have. I have one that I use to use on a security officer job I had. Very easy to operate and qualify with. That said, my EDC pistol is a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II .45ACP.

I love my 1911s. All 81 of them. When carrying for my protection, or anyone elses for that matter, I prefer something that does not require more than a couple shots to get the job done. To me, the G19 is a good gunfight gun. It has the magazine capacity for it. I do not want to carry something for a gunfight. I want to carry something that can eliminate the chances of a prolonged firefight. Anyhow, that is my opinion.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Your examination of the pros and cons is very well thought out.

I carried a G19 as a service and off duty weapon for 10 years. The day I retired it went into the safe.

I have carried either a 5 inch or 4 inch 1911 exclusively for the last 10 years. I want a round that will stop the fight as quickly and as definitively as possible. The pistol is slim and easy to conceal. The ergonomics, pointablility and location of controls is my idea of perfection.

If you have the right holster and belt the weight is a non-issue. The most overwhelming reason for carrying the 1911 in my opinion is the trigger. No other handgun can match the 1911 for the first shot accuracy and speed that you can achieve with it.

You state that the 1911 is the pistol you shoot better. Isn't that what you want if it comes down to saving your life? The pistol you are most likely to get good hits with is the one that should be on your hip.

Just my opinion.
  8. Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    I had this same conundrum awhile ago. Went from carrying a 19 to carrying a Springfield compact. Nothing wrong with either, but I like the slimness of my 1911. I do miss the capacity. If I had to go into the fire I'd probably chose a 1911 as primary and a 19 as backup.
    My two pennies.
  9. Rumbler_G20

Dec 5, 2011
    N. Florida
    Bravo! YES! What he said.

I've been carrying a 1911 in .45ACP for well over three decades.

Why is easy. I don't want to shoot anyone. But if I have to, I want to end the threat expediently and effectively. Shooting someone 25 times, isn't expedient. Twice is much much faster.

See? Easy. ;)
  10. wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    My issue is that most SD situations dont involve "shooting better". They are mostly close range point shooting that occurs VERY fast. The advantages of the nice trigger and accuracy are not that significant when you consider this.

I took a close combat pistol course, and it really opened my eyes. Multiple attackers can get rid of your 9 rounds REALLY fast, and none of them involved using the sights. This is where capacity comes into play.

The other problem is that the odds of using your weapon in a SD situation is insanely small, so this leans me back towards comfort>capacity/firepower:dunno:
  11. Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    More often than not after you fire the first round the other attackers will flee.
    Unless we're talking WROL, in which case I stock with my previous statement. In that case I'm probably gonna have a long arm anyway.
  12. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Its all about what you get used to.

I feel more comfortable with a 1911.
  13. Why speculate.
    Get out some targets at various ranges 3-25 yards and a shot timer. The pistol you can hit fastest and hardest with is the one you should carry.
  14. wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    Yeah, thats true too. As soon as you fire a shot, the other guys are probably taking off. Im not going to war, and im not in a high risk situation.....just an ordinary citizen.
  15. Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    That's what ultimately led to my decision.
    That and I got a sweet trade deal on my Lew Horton Springfield. :supergrin:
  16. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Great post. Well hell, I guess I better start packing my DW Guardian or CCO from here on out. :rofl:
  17. JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    I carry my G19 far more often than my 1911 because it is lighter and smaller. That said, if I could only keep one pistol for some odd reason, I'd keep my 1911. I like shooting the 1911 more and have owned it longer, so it probably has some sentimental value I suppose.
  18. Sharkey

Nov 21, 2006
    DFW, TX
    I've carried both professionally and I would suggest you carry the one you shoot best. I don't buy either claim - the 9mm won't stop someone and once you fire the first shot, other bad guys will flee.

I shot both pretty well. Both have the same trigger pull for every shot (pretty important in my book). If my risk of going into a gunfight was more than the average citizen and it use to be, my choice was easy: G19.

More ammo, less cost, more reliable (slightly debatable), less weight. Works for me.
  19. :kidding:Daaa, This GLOCK TALK what other answer would you expect???:kidding:
  20. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx