close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

1911 Users Guide (by 10-8 Performance)

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Quack, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    should help the newer 1911 owner's when detail stripping their gun for the first few times.

FWIW, The 10-8 bench block and armorer's tool are pretty nice. I picked mine up last year.

2. pistolwrench

pistolwrench Dremel jockey

Jul 27, 2009
    That is the best info on the 1911 that I have ever seen!
    The 1911 community owes Hilton one for this.
    :cool:

3. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    Definitely a good tool Don! You never told me though that the 10-8 sights needed fitted!! Jeez Ive been filing away and still am not close

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    you never asked and need a better file :rofl:

for those not following along, the "Novak" cut rear dovetail on the Springfield is smaller than the .500" sight base, so the sights rear angle needs to be filed down.

here's a pic of factory sights off my EMP and TRP, knedrgr's Ultra and my Professional also needed the same fitting.

[​IMG]

FWIW, my Kobra Carry and DW Guardian needed no filing.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  5. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    How far were you able to slide the 10-8 into the dovetail before you pushed it in? Brian said he takes his down so he can get it a little more than 1/4 of the way in then uses the sight pusher. I filed it down to the same size for the most part as the standard Triji and Im still not getting the darn thing in

6. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    How often do you guys detail strip your 1911's? I have about 2000 through mine and haven't done it, but to a noob, it looks pretty intimidating. Should i try it or have a smith do it?

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    I get the sight started about 1/4 of the way as well, then use a pusher.
    the file i use is a triangle file, i also slightly break the corner on the rear with a few swipes of a flat file.

8. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    i detail strip it when it's new, and that's mainly because I install a flat trigger. I don't detail strip on a regular basis, but Hilton's recommendation of 1000-3000 rounds is a good place to start.

9. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I was a little intimidated before I detail stripped one of my 1911's for the first time, but it's really not bad. I detail strip and clean each of my 1911's once per year no matter what, and every 3,000 rounds or so if I get there before the year is over.

I don't agree 100% with Yam's opinions on magazines, but the rest of that article is very good stuff.

10. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Quack,

Thanks for the link. It was interesting, informative, and educational. :)

11. AC45ACP

AC45ACP

Dec 10, 2008
    N. Texas
    I detail strip when New and once a month on my Carry gun.

12. I don't think you needed to file down the sight for my DW CCO neither.

13. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    nope, didn't need to do anything for your CCO.

on a side note, i didn't even need a sight pusher to take the sight off of my Guardian, just loosened the screw and pushed it off with my hand. installed the 10-8 the same way, but used the pusher to get it centered.

14. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    Well too bad all the ones you listed were NOT my TRP LOL

15. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

Thanks Quack.. that is deffnly a great link... altho it does raise a question.. just how similar is the series 80 in comparison to the Swartz safety in a Kimber?