close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 stainless refinish...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Laramie In MT, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Jan 14, 2005
    MT
    I know this is a "Glock" forum, but bare with me.

I've got a Springfield Loaded Champion.

Years of carry, holstering and general use has taken it's toll. Seems like this thing really shows lots of wear easily. I'd like to have the stainless part refinished to its original stainless, and the matte portions done in a cera/dura-coat of black.

Can the stainless be refinished easily or is it easy to do the whole gun in a cera/dura-coat?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. RobarGuns

RobarGuns

Apr 17, 2010
    Your Springfield currently does not have any actual coating on it; it's just bare stanless steel. The "two-tone" look is provided by using two preparation methods, bead blasting the curved contours for a matte look, and polishing the flats to a brushed look. As this is just a matter of surface preparation, not the application of a finish it is relatively easy to do if you have the proper equipment, and there are any number of 'smiths around that could do that for you.

As you've noticed, this is is for looks only, it provides no protection from abrasion or corrosion, and adds no lubricating properties. That said, it will be the least expensive way to make your pistol look new again.

The Ceracoat / Duracoat finishes are sprayed on, provide some corrosion protection and can be satisfactory on a carry gun. Some other non-metallic that would be worth considering would be Black-T, Roguard and similar finishes that offer a variety of benefits beyond making the gun look nice.

Finally, for a durable, functional and good-looking finish there are a variety of metallic platings available. Electroless nickel, nickel boron nitride, Armoloy and our NP3 nickel / teflon (among others) offer varying degrees of corrsion protection and lubricating properties, in some cases even eliminating the need for any additional lubrication. These finishes, of course are not a DIY job, and they tend to be a bit more costly, as with most things, you get what yuo pay for.

So, depending on your use, expectations & budget there are quite a few options available, some of which can be used to create two-tone finishes that can be quite attractive. I'm not aware of anyone who will spray the matte areas and polish the flats on a 1911, but there may be someone that offers that (it would be very difficult to get a nice even transition from coated to bare stainless). Look around at refinishing company websites for more ideas, and let us know if we can offer further assistance.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010

3. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Jan 14, 2005
    MT
    Much appreciated. I was worried that doing a stainless plus other finish on the matte area might be difficult. I appreciate the response, it gives me something to consider when I want to get her refinished.

Thanks again for the response.

4. RobarGuns

RobarGuns

Apr 17, 2010
    You're welcome, glad we could help.

5. Combat_vet

Combat_vet

Mar 18, 2009
    Springfield will do it. I have 4 of their blackened stainless 5" 1911's that have Armorykote on the bead blasted areas and brushed on the sides.

I'd send it to them and have them blast the entire pistol in matte. I have a stainless TRP that has a very nice blasted finish and I love it. It gives the whole pistol a satin look, been thinking about sending my 4 Champions to them to do the same thing.

Blackened stainless: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=19
    TRP Brushed:http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=27

6. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog

Dec 12, 2008
    SS Champion done in Cerakote.
    [​IMG]