close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

1911 Refinishing Ideas?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by mabgrac, Mar 5, 2012.

1. mabgrac

mabgrac

Jan 2, 2004
    A1A
    I am thinking of refinishing my ATI Commander. I have never really considered getting a gun refinished before so I am pretty clueless on the subject. I am looking for some ideas on who to get it done by and what type of finish to get. I live in Florida so good rust protection would be nice. I usually like blue or black from a looks perspective. I am not wanting to break the bank since the ATI didn't cost a fortune in the first place. Thoughts? Suggestions? What does it usually entail? Do I ship the whole gun? Approx cost? Should I send it some place that does custom work, so maybe if I wanted I could kill two birds with one stone? etc

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. Cold blue and parkerizing are both really easy to do yourself, and cheap. Parkerizing holds up pretty well.

3. mabgrac

mabgrac

Jan 2, 2004
    A1A
    It is parkerized now. What got me thinking about it is I left it in a holster over the weekend and it has some oxidation happening, even places where the holster wasn't touching. I have never had that happen before now, even with other parkerized guns.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Give the pistol a good rub-down with some gun oil and wipe off any excess. That will usually restore the finish.

5. +1. We love pictures, too =)

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Why pay $200 or more for a finish coating on a pistol that only costed around $400?

Lubricant/protectant is dirt cheap. Coat that mutha liberally with oil.

7. mabgrac

mabgrac

Jan 2, 2004
    A1A

I did this and it is looking good again. I guess I was a little over concerned as I had never had that happen before.

8. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    I never understand why people refinish carry guns. It will just get worn again. Same thing for guns that are shot frequently.

9. That would depend on the finish. I opted for the Severns Hard Hat treatment on my STI Ranger II. Will be doing a write-up on it soon, but I wanted to get some serious time carrying and shooting it before recommending it. So far with full time carry and a couple thousand rounds, the finish still looks new. Will post a report and pictures soon.

Daniel

10. mabgrac

mabgrac

Jan 2, 2004
    A1A

Well I was considering it because it had surface rust after being stored for a short time. Since it had never happened to to other parkerized 1911's I have had, I was thinking perhaps there was a problem. So far I am happy with it after putting oil on it.

11. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    My guess is that the "Hard Hat" is some kind of nitrocarburization process, similar, if not identical, to Glock's Tenifer and Melonite used on various guns.

I recommend this treatment, as it's as durable and rust preventive as you can get. I honestly don't know why anyone bothers with any other finishes/treatments, unless a specific color is desired.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  12. GWG19

GWG19

Jan 28, 2012
    Huntsville Al
    I have used Robar http://www.robarguns.com/
    As well as Turnbull http://www.turnbullmfg.com/
    Bolth of these guys do excellent work.
    Here is the problem with cold blueing and spray on finishes. The don't last. They just a band aid.
    If you are going to keep your gun it doesn't matter what it cost you or what you spend on refinishing it.
    If you going to get rid of it, don't do the disservice of a cheap crappy refinish.

13. I refinished a couple of mine because I did a serious carry melt on them.
    I went with the Isonite finish from Coal Creek Armory, which is the same as the Melonite/ Hard Hat finishes.
    I like it because it is a metal treatment and not just a coating.
    Looks great and wears well.

14. gmp

gmp

Jan 11, 2012
    Ionbond is the best hands down. I carried a Nighthawk with the diamond black finish (Ionbond) for 2 years and no holster wear. Expensive but worth the money.

15. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

Nov 3, 2006
    In a handbasket
    Yeah, that'd be crazy!

[​IMG]
    (My ROBAR NP3'd STI Spartan)

:whistling:

16. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Feb 6, 2007
    S.E.Florida
    Bearcoat is the best two hundred bucks I ever spent on a pistol, even if it is a four hundred dollar gun....

17. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

Nov 3, 2006
    In a handbasket
    They said mine is the only Spartan they have done so far. :wavey:

It's one of a kind! :rofl: