close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

1911 on $1000-ish budget

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Ferdinandd, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Turtle Dude

Turtle Dude

Aug 24, 2006
    SW Ohio
    I own dozens of 1911s-from the Colt my grandfather carried in France circa 1918 to a US Shooting Team Kimber In 9mm I bought for my son as his 14th birthday present earlier this year. The cheapest one I still have is a RANDALL stainless I bought probably 25 years ago or so. For the money I find the SA's to be the best buys. The Kimbers are a bit smoother but after 500 rounds the SAs smooth out. the earlier Paras were pretty solid buys as well. If I were limited to 1000 bucks and I was going to put the round count through a 1911 like I did in the mid 80s when I was shooting close to a 1000 rounds a week while shooting Pin or IPSC events almost every weekend, I'd go for the SA since the one I kept as a "loaner" range gun (since given to a buddy who works at the same range) showed almost no wear after about 25K rounds

2. ashecht

ashecht

Feb 10, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    when searching for my first 1911, I was down to the Ruger, and the RO. While I liked the ss finish on the ruger, it was the fit of the RO which sold me. Load both, and shake the two of them. Tell which one is silent, and which sounds like a can with rocks in it. Im sure it doesnt affect the performance of the Ruger, since some of my glocks make the same rattling noise. But the RO was DEAD silent. That thing is tightly fit. Even reassembling it is a challenge. I love it and I got it for $745 out the door at my lgs, cash money. It is taking me a while to get used to the target sights though as I am so used to the 3 dot arrangement, but damn that thing is accurate, nice smooth trigger, and we all know that SA customer service is great. Doubt you can go wrong with either

3. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Jul 22, 2005
    Rigby, Idaho
    Take a look at the Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911. All the bells and whistles, good trigger, and at about $700, you'll have plenty of money to buy lots of ammo for the range.

4. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I really think you should just save a bit more and go for a new TRP. You won't regret it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. GaryC

GaryC

Apr 3, 2011
    Texas
    For a range gun, Colt Gold Cup all the way. I have two of them (a National Match and a Trophy) and they are awesome.