close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 noob

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by picturethis, Feb 8, 2011.

1. picturethis

picturethis

Hey guys. I am looking to purchase a 1911. I have experience with shotguns, Glocks and XDs. I have no idea on a budget. If I can get something nice for under a grand I'd be happy, but I don't know. I really want front strap checkering, and it seems most budget priced guns like the Range Officer do not have it stock. I've held a few 1911s, but never fired one. I am 100% sure I will like it, so I plan to buy one with confidence.

I am wondering how much more you really get with a 1911 over 1k compared to a budget priced one. I have been lurking this board for a while now, trying to gather info. It seems like if bac1023, Quack or hokieshooter think it's a good gun, then their word is as good as gold. I am a big Glock and Springfield fan in terms of their polymer pistols. Glock obviously does not offer a 1911, so I am leaning towards Springfield based on name alone.

I like the look of the Range Officer, but the lack of front strap checkering and the target sights make me hesitant. If I bought a Range Officer and got front strap checkering + new sights, I would be into it for a good chunk of change more than new. At that point, I might have just spent a bit more up front to get everything I wanted out of the box.

The guns I have considered:

Springfield Range Officer
    Springfield TRP
    Sti Trojan
    Used Dan Wesson, Les Baer or Kimber

I am a total noob and have not been in the scene long enough to make an educated decision. I don't want to be that guy at the used car dealer who buys a lemon because he doesn't know any better. I am sure a gun shop would happily take my money and sell me some junk, just to make a sale.

The things I want out of the gun:

Reliable from the box
    Able to reliably feed self defense ammo
    Nice looking, but function > form for sure
    Priced between $600 and $2,500

Is a $2,500 gun THAT much better than something like a Remington R1 or an entry level Springfield?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long-winded and I am sure very monotonous post. :tongueout:

2. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my 1911 wisdom. LOL. I find that kind of amusing and in no way shape or form know should be grouped in with Quack and Bac as being knowledgeable on the platform. Those guys have forgotten more than I know. :rofl:

If you are just looking to find a reliable solid 1911 that won't require a bunch of work, look no further than the Trojan. Probably the best bang for the buck out of the box 1911 out there. You can order it with fixed sights too if you don't want the standard adjustable ones. If you don't want a 5" and may carry it, look at the STI Ranger2. Same price at $1k. If you like Kimber, look at the TLE line an the CDP line for about the same $. Everyone here swears by the TRP, which is a few hundred more. I don't care for the 20LPI SA uses, so ymmv. Best thing to do is hit a show, where you can typically handle most any production gun (and maybe a few semi-customs) to see what feels good to you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

3. Quack

Quack Rent this space

if you want the front strap checkered, and 20lpi is fine, then get a TRP or Trophy Match over a Range Officer.

you can get a new DW or Baer for under $2000

the STI Trojan uses a cast frame if that matters to you.

is a $2500 gun better than a $600 gun? depends on what you are looking for. if it's just going to be shot, no.

I like Springfields...
    [​IMG]

if you are looking for a nice gun that you will do work on yourself, then the R1 would be a good gun. it's accurate out of the box, and for less than $150 and some time, you can turn it into this:
    [​IMG]

4. picturethis

picturethis

lol. I just noticed that in any thread that's at least 2 pages, a good % of the posts are from you, bac1023 or quack. I figured all the time you spend here means you have soaked up a lot of info lol.

I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately I can only buy 1 gun at a time, and then have to save some money for the next one. I want to "have it all" from one gun, and that is impossible or guys like bac1023 wouldn't own 500 of these things LOL. :wow::wow:

5. picturethis

picturethis

Unfortunately, I have zero experience working on guns. That's what drew me to Glock in the first place was how low-maintenance it is. I don't want an Audi S4 of a gun (extremely high maintenance car, for the non car guys on here)

I guess what I want is Glock reliability with 1911 timeless looks. I feel like you guys have probably seen this kinda thread 1,000 times by now and I feel bad, but my money tree burned down so I have to make a wise decision and not just buy til I like something. :supergrin:

6. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Hokie is in those threads for comic relief :rofl:

7. picturethis

picturethis

So you're saying people do more shooting with cameras of their $3k guns than actually shooting the gun? :cool:

8. picturethis

picturethis

[​IMG]

9. Quack

Quack Rent this space

if that is the case, buy a Springfield, or even the STI, both are known for their customer service. on the high-end, Wilson's Customer Service is really good too.

might i suggest getting a Springfield Custom Carry, if your budget is up to $2500. they start at $1800 before options like checkering.

10. Quack

Quack Rent this space

nope, there are details like fit, finish, accuracy and parts that go into a more expensive gun, but in the end they all go bang, some better than others.

http://quacksgunstuff.blogspot.com/2010/12/tale-of-3-springfields.html

11. picturethis

picturethis

I called a few local placed and found a TRP for $1399. Remington R1 for 600 and change, and a Range Officer for $850. Limited edition 500, but I know that's just a gimmick and a normal one is exactly the same. I want to buy a new gun if I can, but I'd jump on a used gun at a too good to miss deal.

I am in no rush to buy, and will wait it out as long as I have to in order to score a good price on a good gun.

12. Nickpisp

Nickpisp

I'd get the TRP and shoot it for a while. Then decide if you want to get a nicer gun.

13. Quack

Quack Rent this space

$850 is too much for a Range Officer, should be ~$750, even for the "1 of 500" marked guns.

14. Gunshine

Gunshine

Try to go a little easy on the flattery. Those guys are gonna need a pick up to carry their ego's around. :tongueout: But I'll be following this thread myself.

15. picturethis

picturethis

Are there ever times of the year where the 1911 makers all release new guns like car companies do, and they lower the price of the older ones to make room for the new stuff? This is the centennial anniversary of the 1911, so I'd assume a lot of special things are coming in 2011.

16. Quack

Quack Rent this space

you can also think of them like camera's...they all take photo's, just some better than others.

from a cheap camera phone:
    [​IMG]

and from a dSLR:
    [​IMG]

17. Quack

Quack Rent this space

yep, it's called SHOT show

18. picturethis

picturethis

It's $1,400. From doing my homework, I have read that Quack picked up a TRP for that price that had a lot of custom work done to it. I am so afraid of over paying due to my lack of 1911 knowledge. I don't want to spend $1,700 on a gun that I see for sale for 1,100 in 4 months. Is buying lightly-used the best value? This is hard! :wow::whistling:

19. Nickpisp

Nickpisp

I paid $1225 for a non-railed TRP, new. The thing about buying used 1911's is you want to make sure someone hasn't "gunsmithed" on it.

20. picturethis

picturethis

I really like 1911s, but I don't think I will ever be a fanatic and "need" to own dozens of them. If I had unlimited funds then for sure, but I just want to buy a gun and a pile of ammo for it. If I had a range gun, home defense gun, safe gun and a carry gun then I wouldn't be so picky, since each of those 4 guns could serve a purpose. I may be asking for too much out of one gun, but for the price some of these guns go for I don't think I am being too unreasonable with my desire from it.