close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 IWB Carry Help

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by joemannnnn, Aug 16, 2011.

1. joemannnnn

joemannnnn
    Expand Collapse

Hey Guys,
    I started to carry my DW CCO for the first time today. This is my first time carrying a 1911. I bought a holster from Kelley Gun Leather, it is similar to a VMII. The gun conceals real well, I carried at about 3-3:30. The only issue I have is when sitting. The grip safety will dig into my side, and the butt of the gun will restrict leaning back in chairs and while driving. I find myself sitting and adjusting discreetly. Is this all common? Any suggestions for improvement? The most uncomfortable part is the grip safety digging in, kinda wish the leather flap on back side was larger to cover or that I didn't have love handles. Should I keep an under shirt tucked in between? Thanks for the help
    Joe

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

I'm not familiar with that holster,.......but with a commander in a Versa Max II,
    carried at 3:30 I do not have that problem at all. However we may be built a bit different.

3. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog
    Expand Collapse

You have to find that sweet spot between ride height,cant and location. I tried a MS VMII and a summer special. For me they where not comfortable. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck. This way I can adjust height and cant and it disperses the weight of the gun very well.

4. Wade-19

Wade-19
    Expand Collapse

Well, I'm fat guy, and I love the VMII. I have one for all of the guns I might carry. I do wear a T-shirt between the holster and my skin though.

5. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

I carry my CCO, and all of my other guns, :cool:, in a CBST. GREAT holster! :thumbsup:

6. Wade-19

Wade-19
    Expand Collapse

I also like the C-tac.

7. polizei1

polizei1
    Expand Collapse
    It WAS Quack

You will have to try a few holsters and see which ones work and which don't. I tried a VMII and it's a GREAT holster, but it didn't fit me. I love my Crossbreed Supertuck though, it's simply awesome.

Try moving the holster to the 4-5 position instead. However, it sounds like you need a holster with a sweat guard.

8. joemannnnn

joemannnnn
    Expand Collapse

I am going to try moving further back, 4:00 seems to be a sweet spot for the VMII based on some google research. I had a Crossbreed for my G19. I decided to go all leather for the 1911. I'm not giving up hope yet, it really is a nice piece. Steven was a pleasure to deal with. He actually adjusted the ride height lower and increased the cant for me based on how I liked to carry the glock. If in the market for a VMII, definitely check him out, I had the holster in 1 week, and at a very good price.

9. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

I carry my VM2 about 4:00. If I am sitting in public....say eating or whatever, I slide it up to 3:00 to eliminate any printing as I am leaning over a table.

#9 Hokie1911, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  10. joemannnnn

joemannnnn
    Expand Collapse

What about when sitting at work or in private, do you find 4:00 manageable? And what about when driving? I sit at a desk and drive a lot for work.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

It would seem I do carry a bit closer to 4 o'clock then 3:30

12. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

I am not allowed to carry at work, so when I get there, I lock it up in a locker in my office. Aside from that, when I am in the car or pretty much the rest of the time I have it at 4:00 and have no issues. One time at Costco, my wife was getting a drink refill and said I was printing as I leaned over eating my pizza. Granted she was aware it was on me, but at that point, I slid it over to 3:00 and problem solved.

13. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

Wait just one dang minute!

A bobtail prints?! :wow:

You may have just killed years of marketing effort with such a careless statement!

If Ed Brown hears about this, I'm betting he sends you a bill!

:supergrin:

#13 CMG, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  14. up1911fan

up1911fan
    Expand Collapse

IWB I carry at 4:00 as well. Doe's your holster have a "sweat shield/bodyguard" between you and the gun?

15. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

:rofl:

Keep in mind this is wearing a T-shirt and shorts. Pretty much any gun will print IWB while leaning over or squatting down.

16. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Bob tail or not, it's still a full length grip. You can keep a gun from printing by having a really short grip and a low in the waistband holster.

On the other hand, bobtails are cool, printing be darned. :tongueout:

17. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

OMG!

Next thing we know, you'll be trying to convince us that Glocks aren't Perfect!

:supergrin:

18. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

Maybe if you're a big fat dude. :tongueout:

I'm 5'8, 170lb, with a 32" waist. If I bend down or lean over, I'm going to print no matter what I'm carrying. :supergrin:

19. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

They are. Gaston got it right the 1st time around. No wait...the 2nd time. Damn, maybe it was the 3rd. Aww screw it.

20. okie

okie
    Expand Collapse
    GT Mayor

The sweat guard on my Seth's Wraith holster covers the grip safety and hammer:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#20 okie, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011