close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911"ish" gun part 2

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by K00R, Aug 14, 2012.

1. K00R

K00R

Well too the guys that posted all the options on my question on a gun that would afford me a high thumb grip like you can use on a 1911 and not interrupt slide lock operations I say thanks. I made my decision and for my Nighthawk trade (I can only imagine the **** storm from custom 1911 guys right now, but in ALL honesty that Nighthawk performed just as well as my TRP Operator, the only difference is Nighthawk costs more...) I bought 3 HK's.

He only had one in stock of coarse, the more popular carry sized Hk P30. I decided to grab her anyway, since some days on my job I need a smaller framed gun for the non suit and tie contracts.

[​IMG]
    Chambered 9x19 I had her out to the range this morning. Burned 300 rounds through it, she shoots like a dream, you can get a super high thumb grip and the nice low bore axis, I can feel the difference between it and higher bore axis guns even in 9x19mm.

On order I have a p30L .40 cal and an HK45. Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys.

I ordered the other two with the thumb safeties as well.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

You actually found a P30S in 9mm? :wow:

I have yet to see one in person, only in .40.

Now if only HK would get off their ass and offer it in 357SIG.

3. K00R

K00R

EDIT: actually come to think of it... I don't think HK offers any .357 Sig configurations do they? I'm no HK expert... These will be my first 3.

Yep, I was surprised to see her too, I've seen both calibers but only ever seen them in shops in the decocker only configuration. It was kind of a wow that's convenient that my local shop had a thumb safety model like I wanted the day I came in to trade and order them kinda thing... (he normally only has the decocker model in the P30 and P30L) I don't mind 9mm that much, in a good duty HP like Hornady Duty, or Speer's Lawman it's rather effective. So I got it

4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Threy used to offer handguns in 357SIG, but I think it's been pretty much elimintated from the HK lineup now. Someone out there is making 357SIG barrels for the P30S in .40, though.

5. K00R

K00R

That's odd. Have you considered the .40 anyway? You'll have to forgive me the only .357 I've ever shot was a revolver, and they don't disperse recoil like auto's so I don't know the felt recoil of a .357 compared to a .40 I know as far as ballistics the two rounds are near identical (as well as controlled lab ballistic gel environments can show anyway)

6. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Terminal ballistics are similar, but external ballistics are not. 357SIG has a slightly different (most would say softer) recoil impulse than .40, as well. Plus, I already carry a 229 in 357SIG, hence my wish for a P30S in the same. Other than ammo availablility, I don't see a single reason to switch to .40 for my preferences. All of my semis are 9mm and 357SIG.

7. K00R

K00R

Hmm thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try a .357 Auto one day. I don't mind .40 that much, but myself and many others have agreed that it has a more aggressive felt recoil then 45 ACP so I suppose I could imagine .357 being more pleasant. Good choice on the Sig 229 by the way, they're a nice piece.

8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Check over on HK PRO. I don't know for sure if there are 357SIG barrels out there for the P30L in .40, but the guys there would know for sure. If so, you'd be a barrel and ammo swap away from having a P30LS in 357SIG.