close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

1911 Holster observation / opinion

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by TSAX, Feb 2, 2011.

1. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    Maybe its just me but I have noticed that most people I've seen with a 1911 in person, on a tv show or the gun shows like American Guardian, American Rifleman, etc use leather holsters for 1911's.

Could it be because leather has been around longing than these new Kydex and Kydex/leather hybrids.

Could it be that Kydex seems to add more holster wear then leather. I noticed this in the Glocks, M&P's and XD's.

This is not an entry into the 1911 fact book just an observation.

2. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    Maybe it's just that people with traditional guns have holsters made of traditional materials.

I have found the VM-II to be the most comfortable holster for me, so I carry in leather for comfort.

I've had trouble with 1911s not fitting in kydex holsters because the holster makers use a Colt for their mold and 1911 makers make their guns whatever size they want. I could get all of my 1911s in a leather holster.

3. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle I make it rain!

Jul 23, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I would say it is the wear issue, and the fact that leather is just nicer.

4. ajstrider

ajstrider Silent Warrior

Apr 17, 2005
    Western Kentucky
    I prefer to carry a inside the waistband holster and leather is way more comfortable to me when doing this than a kydex holster. I have some regular belt slide holsters made of kydex that are nice and get use sometimes, but for me, leather is the way to go for IWB carry.

5. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    I know a lot of people like them but I'm not putting my finely crafted wood and steel 1911s in a cheap plastic holster. :dunno:

6. I find the kydex holsters to be a bit rough on a parkerized gun, and I surely wouldn't use one for a nicely "blued" gun.

7. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    :agree:

8. airflyer

airflyer

Feb 3, 2007
    IOWA
    I have a kydex blade tech holster for my kimber pro carry and it does wear finish off quick but I really don't care, it's not as comfortable as Leather but it is so fast to pull first shot, use a timer and time ourselves it makes a difference and is easy to reholster
    But has bad effects on finish

9. airflyer

airflyer

Feb 3, 2007
    IOWA
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rinspeed
    I know a lot of people like them but I'm not putting my finely crafted wood and steel 1911s in a cheap plastic holster.

My kimber is not finely crafted for sure
    and when I get my Wilson professional bobtail it's going in leather

10. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Feb 3, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I do have a CBSTD on order, however right now I am using a Sparks VMII. I would use the VMII year-round, however I don't think I'll personally be able to conceal it in the summer due to my body build.

With that said, the Sparks is hands down one of the best holsters you can buy, and if I'm going to buy a 1911, it's going to be put into a nice holster.

11. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    I use the best of both words. I got a leather backed(feels better against skin) Kydex body(sturdy for one handed reholstering), but the kydex is lined with leather(easier on parked finish).

12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    The leather back and Kydex body is what I normally prefer but the Kydex is not as nice on the the finish on guns like a leather lined one.

13. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    so the EMP is a crap 1911? :tongueout:

14. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Junk. Pure junk. :whistling:

15. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Feb 3, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Well, being the EMP is my EDC, I don't care if it gets scratched. It'll be refinished eventually anyway. :tongueout:

16. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    I almost religiously use kydex. I ventured away to the VMII for my EMP and Im liking it, but I cant say that Im going to be switching to leather. Its hard to say what material is worse on your gun. Kydex will rub a little at first, but in my experience leather will create more wear over the long haul.
    Holsters like the Serpa create very little holster wear because of the trigger retention. I like the VMII a lot, but still think I prefer the CBST style of holster over anything else going. I use Garrett's silent thunder holsters for OWB carry and competition. They are leather lined kydex.

17. Personally, I find plastic holsters to be quite unsuitable for anything but range use. Even my plastic pistols get carried in quality leather.

18. NDLAWRENCE

NDLAWRENCE

Aug 16, 2009
    What about a crossbreed supertuck? Anybody have a crossbreed and a vm2? If so witch one do you prefer?

19. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Currently carrying a HK in a CBST, but a 1911 in a VM2 is much more comfortable to me and will be switching back next month.

20. NDLAWRENCE

NDLAWRENCE

Aug 16, 2009
    I'm looking for for a holster my glock 36 is the sparks more comfortable all around or just with the 1911's