1911 Hammer/Sear Question.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Brucev, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Briefly I have a SA GI 1911-A1 that I enjoy shooting. The trigger pull is very heavy. Is it possible to send the hammer and sear out to be properly fitted? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    F/S Vintage Tan Bianchi 1911 Auto Combat Rake Holster Holsters & Related Items Yesterday at 2:41 PM
    Picked up a Dan Wesson.......first 1911 1911 Forums Friday at 7:35 PM
    Never seen so many 1911 357 Sigs!!! TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club Friday at 8:47 AM
    My new SA 1911 TRP Operator... General Firearms Forum Thursday at 9:09 PM
    Sig 1911 holsters? 1911 Forums Thursday at 7:54 AM

3. I think most smiths will require the whole frame to do any type of trigger work. But for a quick "drop-in" nice trigger, go with one of the C&S prefit kits. They are about $100 but very nice triggers for drop ins.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Thank you for the information. I was not aware that the frame would be needed to fit the hammer and sear. Also thank you for the information about C&S.

5. The geometry of the hammer/sear fit is directly influenced by the placement and angle of the hammer and sear pin holes in the frame. What might fit perfectly in one frame could be a disaster in another. The holes could be improperly placed or not 90 degrees true, and that affects how they interact. Your heavy trigger pull might also be the result of something simple like an incorrect tweak on the three leaf sear spring.

EGW also offers a prepped set but it is pricey AND top notch quality.

Good luck.

#4 seanmac45, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  6. Thank you for the heads up about the frame, etc. Over the years I've shot a lot of S&W revolvers. I had thought that a hammer/sear for a 1911 might be handled the same way a hammer/trigger set for a S&W was handled. I was not aware of the issues with frames, etc. Looks like I'll need to give this a lot more thought.

7. Roughedgekid

Roughedgekid Old Fart

I have a jig that holds the hammer and sear in thier correct position so you can magnify the fit and see if you have it correct. You still need the frame so you can check the function to make sure it works. The sear spring can also make the trigger a little heavy.

#6 Roughedgekid, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  8. You say the trigger pull is very heavy.
    Is it clean and crisp even though it is heavy?
    Have you measured the pull weight?
    Springfield normally has 5 to 6 pound triggers but I have found them to be pretty clean.
    What are you comparing it to?
    Compare it to a Glock and you may look at it differently.

9. Springfield warrants their triggers to be within a certain spec range (5-9 pounds), at least on the Loaded. If you send them your gun, and they find it is out of "range", they will fix (free) and you may get a very nice trigger afterwards. If it is within range, they will quote you a price to work on it before sending it back.

I did this with my Loaded model-- yours may be different. I would call them and ask, they may quote you over the phone.

10. That is assuming all the other pieces function correctly together after the new pieces go in. I tried a C&S drop-in and it was a disaster, in multiple ways. On a 1911, it is not just the sear/hammer that matter. The sear spring, series 80 hooks, trigger harp, grip safety tab, all interact and play roles in ignition. You may be lucky if they all match, or not.

Not always, just drop in.