close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

1911 fans and amateur smiths lead me your opinions!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Ocean_glocker, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hey all,
    For those who know me I'm a tinkerer and a glock fanboy, but I have always been fascinated with 1911's. I have decided to finally acquire a nice one (had a RIA while ago). I sold one of my glocks and moved some funds around... so my question to you all is....

If you had a ~$1000 budget would you:

a. blow entire budget on purchase (colt?) what would you get?
    b. Buy okay 1911 and get work done (Springer,Sig?)
    c. Build your own from scratch (but get frame/slide fit smithed)

*Few side notes*
    -I am leaning toward the Commander size
    -I plan on making this my daily carry (reliability is paramount, I am a glock guy)
    -it would be nice to be underbudget to I can pick up a db9 or something cheap...

Thanks!

2. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.

3. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    that's funny you say that, I posted this same question on another forum and everyone's telling me to avoid Kimbers...

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    For $950, you can get a Colt Lightweight Commander XSE and call it a day.

5. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    That's one on my list... but I really didn't want to spend all the budget, but then it is a Colt...

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    9 Kimbers. 0 problems. Nuff said. :cool:

7. I bought a beater 1911 for $400 and made it pretty sweet. I wanted something in double stack though, and just browsing around GB I found my Bul M-5. I knew nothing really about 1911's, and just went with something cheap that I could make combat accurate. I haven't tried to tighten up my barrel or slide fit, because it's good enough. It shoots true to point. The trigger, feed ramp, barrel throat, and safetys I did work on. Also some cosmetic stuff, blah blah. My total investment minus mags is less than $500. I spend about $150 on my 5 mags, but they hold 18.

8. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    9 kimbers and 9 glocks... thats a little greddy no... j/k

I have nothing against kimbers, you can't trust everything you read on the web, which is why I post like this asking for first hand experiences... thanks!!

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Save a few more dollars and purchase a lightly used TRP

10. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    would like too, but with a kid on the way (my first) we agreed (wife told me) that if I want a new one I have to sell an old one and use that money... sold 2 of my glocks now I have $1k. Don't want to sell anything else... :crying:

but on that note, TRP have gotten STUPID popular and even more STUPIDLY expensive.. I've heard great things, but I think it's out of my league...

11. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Saw a nice one listed today for $1150 shipped!
    That's NOT stupid! That's a deal!

12. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    wow, must have missed that one.. the only ones i've seen we in excess of $1300

13. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    I like the idea of an 1911 under $500, that would mean I could use the rest and buy another glock...lol

14. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  15. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
  16. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    I would advise against Kimbers. Go with a Colt Combat Commander.

17. Here's what I ended up with, and the mags were like $35 each, so I'm total about 600. It needs to be refinished, I'm thinking hard chrome on the slide, and controls, but it's gonna be a while. That stuff's pricey, and I'm still tossed about my GI sights. So I have some money yet to put in it, that will probably put me at around a grand. It's part of the fun, I guess. [​IMG]

18. SLO1911Fan

SLO1911Fan

Nov 23, 2009
    Kimber, Springfield, Colt... You really can't go wrong with a major manufacturer.

19. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    in that forum the have it right :rofl:

20. majette

majette

May 1, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    i am not a tinkerer when it comes to guns unless it is something i can drop in and it is an enhancement. i also only carry full size; with a good gun belt, holster, and dressing around the fact i am going to carry a gun makes it easy. it is a system that you choose to field.

for your budget find a NM loaded springfield (preferably full size), get a good belt and holster, spend the rest on ammo and range time.