close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 carry guys, what magazine feed lip design do you roll with?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by nitesite10mm, Aug 30, 2011.

1. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm
    Expand Collapse
    Dog Lover

Me, I'm USGI hardball feed lips all the way. Slickest chambering I've found and they have controlled round feed as JMB intended. Do you prefer wadcutter, or hybrid, or hardball feed lips?

Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. oldsoldier

oldsoldier
    Expand Collapse

Check-Mate hybrid feed lips in my carry guns which have officer length frames part number CM45-7C-S-H. Check-Mate wadcutter feed lips in my range pistols part number CM45-7-S. They are reasonably priced and I have never had a problem with Check-Mate magazines. They are one of the OEM suppliers for Colt.

#2 oldsoldier, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  3. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

Wilson 47D's for me, but its not a carry gun, just a range toy.

4. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8
    Expand Collapse

Wilson 47D with a low profile base plate in the gun. (would go flush fit, but I don't want to give up a round.) My two reloads are Wilson ETM. My 1911 was primarily an off duty gun, but I carried it on duty every chance I could. (which meant special assignments not requiring Class A's)

I do believe that Wilson mags use wadcutter feel lips.

5. trdvet

trdvet
    Expand Collapse

Whatever Tripp Research uses, best mags ever.

6. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

I can honestly say that I didn't realize there were different feed lip designs, or at least that they could be so broadly categorized.

While I am a Wilson guy, and own ten ETMs and eight 47Ds, I roll with an ETM in the gun and three CMC Power+ ten rounders in the Safariland triple pouch. Cost me two rounds over the quad, but takes up less space on the ever-shrinking belt.

7. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8
    Expand Collapse

Tripp makes great stuff! While I don't have any of their mags, I've got several CMC, Wilson and Springfield mag modes I've converted with Tripp Super 7 kits. Super smooth feeding and they just won't die. The only reason I'm currently using Wilson is that they are readily available locally.

8. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

I've still got a couple shoe boxes of 1911 mags I've collected and used over the years.

The ones I've been using for my 1911's as off-duty weapons in recent years, however, have been a mix of some FBI-spec Metalform, Tripp & ACT-Mag (used in both S&W and Wolff configurations). I've been meaning to try some more Tripp mags since they've changed their mag tube vendor, though (even though my older version has been running fine).

Other instructors (and SWAT) I know who are 1911's users have their own mix of favored mags. Funny how no two experienced folks seem to necessarily run all the same mags sometimes. CMC's appear favored among some.

9. genecole

genecole
    Expand Collapse

Have Wilson 47D's in the gun and on my belt, the two Para Ordnance factory mags in the door, and a CMC 10rd in my pocket. Design doesn't matter that much to me if it feeds 100%.

10. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

For me it the Wilson 47d. Never used tripp though. May have to try them in the near future.

11. CAcop

CAcop
    Expand Collapse

What type of feed lips do Metalform/Springfield 7 rounders have? Because that is what I use. I used to use ActMag/PSI/Novak/the other half of the 1911 world but the baseplates kept cracking when they hit the ground. Their engineer told me to boil them every 6 months to get more water into them and that within a few months they were going to have better polymer to prevent cracking (should be fine by now).

Never been a big fan of Wilson's. They seem to choke on the last round every now and again. CMCs are okay but I have had the follower pop out of the mag in front. Never tried Tripp's. Maybe after I fix up my Combat Commander I'll spring for some.

BTW a no name mag with a Trip spilt follower to make it go from 7 to 8 rounds is my sleeper mag. That thing theoretically should be a dog but it runs like a raped ape. The feed lips are spread apart compared to the others.

12. old_pigpen

old_pigpen
    Expand Collapse
    Huh? What?

I carried a 1911 on duty as a reserve deputy, and for many years before and after. I always had the best luck with genuine military surplus (not cheap knockoffs) or Colt commerical magazines.

#12 old_pigpen, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  13. beatcop

beatcop
    Expand Collapse

A long time ago I used Chip McCormick shooting star mags with good luck. True USGI was ok also.

14. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm
    Expand Collapse
    Dog Lover

That sounds like a "follower modified for 8-rd" GI Hardball feed lip mag. The V'd lips that are full length are the secret.

GI Hardball FTW

15. para38super

para38super
    Expand Collapse

Wilson Combat 47d, Chip power mag, and Colt 7rd mags for me.

16. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

Wilson ETM 9mm.

I wish CMC had 9mm power mags.

17. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash
    Expand Collapse

Currently I use Wilson ETM's, however I am waiting on some CMC Power mags because one of my guns doesn't like the ETM's or the Tripp Research upgrade kits.

#17 CanIhaveGasCash, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011