close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

1911 Camping and Hiking

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by 20South, Mar 9, 2011.

1. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    Just a question out of curiosity - How many of you use your 1911's as woods guns or move back to polymer for camping trips, overnight hikes, etc...

2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  3. I am not much of a camper but I wouldn't have a problem taking a 1911 with me. I mean if it was good enough for our GIs to carry in the trenches a little camping should be a cake walk.

4. jmoln

jmoln

Dec 20, 2002
    Georgia and Alabama
    in that application it is either my 1911 or a S&W in .357.

5. Mr. Gekko

Mr. Gekko

Aug 27, 2010

To me, camping, hikes, etc. are trips to the woods. :dunno:If it's good enough in the city, it's good enough elsewhere. Better than nothing afterall. Maybe I'm missing something.....

6. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    No - I dont think you are missing anything. There are lots of debates on "woods" guns on message boards and gun stores etc. My wife just got us a new tent big enough to hold all the little ones and setup a trip to the Ozarks in the spring and I wound up having the debate with a neighbor and some friends. There are all sorts of opinions as to appropriate caliber, handgun vs guide gun, Glock Perfection vs. et all. I was just curious as to where this board fell - and yes, I know its a 1911 board and the answer should have gone without saying, but this is an eclectic bunch at times.:whistling:

7. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

Going to have to go with my Blackhawk, chambered in .45 Win. Mag... It's too big to conceal.. but what a punch...:supergrin:

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Well, I live up in the Ozarks, and there are black bear around here, quite a few actually, but I'd be more worried about running across some meth head, as apposed to a bear. Just bring that new GC NN that you got coming to you, and you'll be just fine. :cool:

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Personally, I usually carry a G20 with me in the woods. Or sometimes my G29. Used to carry my stainless 4" GP100, but prefer the higher capacity and faster reloading with the Glocks. Plus, I'd go swimming with my Glock on and wouldn't think twice about it. Not that a 1911 wouldn't be able to take a dip as well. But having 16 rounds of 10mm on the hip with another 15 rounds ready to go in the blink of an eye, makes one feel at ease. :cool:

10. Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting

Jul 27, 2010
    DC
    As soon as I get my Lobo holster for my 327 NG (2 more weeks!) that will replace my 1911. I had some issues with my 1911 on my hip OWB when I was pulling a deer up the steepest hill in Alabama in the dark this season as the grip kept snagging and trying to pull away.

1911's are by and large going to be heavy and if you're used to hiking you know that an ounce of weight equals a pound of pain.

11. I wouldn't mind this one on my hip if I were going into some mountains.
    [​IMG]
    .460 Rowland. WC Hunter.

12. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    Due for delivery Sat...:whistling:

13. TKR Reptiles

TKR Reptiles Thread Killer

Oct 19, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Whenever I am out "herping" (doing field research observing and collecting snakes), fishing, or camping I carry the Glock. I also prefer the higher capacity off ammo, and to be honest if it gets scuffed or scratched up I don't mind as much as I would a 1911...

14. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    My brutha from a different mutha. :rofl:We gotta stay in touch and you remember the deal, don't ya? If one of us ever decides to sell, the other gets first shot. Like we're ever gonna sell either one. :cool: Congrats my man. If your's shoots as sweet as mine, you'll be VERY happy. :thumbsup:

15. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    Of course man. Worst case, Dave has my info if you cant get me out here. I dont see me selling out either, but you never know.

16. a45sArtwork

a45sArtwork

Feb 16, 2011