Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

1911 9mm's

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by tcabend, Jun 3, 2012.

1. tcabend

Jan 16, 2012
    Hey guys,

I am seriously thinking about getting my first 1911 and was leaning towards the sub compact EMP or Kimber Ultra in 9mm. My local gun shop has a indoor range and they had a EMP I could rent and try out. I was very impressed with the feel of the gun and the accuracy but I shot a box of 50 and the gun failed to feed 6 or 7 times so I was less then pleased with the EMP. Actually if the gun didn't fail like it did I would of purchased one because I am sold on the single action trigger of the 1911.

My question is are the sub compact 9mm 1911's reliable? Whats your take on the Kimbers in 9mm? I have done some web surfing and have read that you really need to get quality after market clips for the Kimbers. Any advise would be appreciated......
  2. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Hard to get a good feel from range guns. That EMP must've been in pretty bad shape if it had that many malf's with range ammo. Ramped barrels are something to definately look for in a 9mm 1911. Both Kimber and SA make great 9mm 1911's.

3. majette

May 1, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    smaller 1911's will have fail to feed issues when one has a poor grip or slightly limp wrists. have someone who is more proficient try it. also, range guns might not have the best care and cleaning regimen.

1911's use magazines, not clips.

full size 1911's are the way to go even in 9mm.
  4. Not a fan of 9mm on a 1911, I say get a BHP for 9mm if you want a design similar to a 1911.
  5. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

Jan 22, 2002
    Near Phoenix, Arizona
    I got my 1st 1911 in 9mm a few months ago. I looked at EMP, but decided to get Kimber Aegis. I didn't want to box myself in with proprietary magazines. I also bought several brands of 8rd. 9mm mags from Midway (Springfield, Colt, and Metalform (2 styles). All the mags worked fine as did the Kimber factory magazine. Approximately 500 rounds of WWB, Blazer Aluminum, Gold Dot, and Federal with no failures. Aegis is very nice gun, however, I'm not a fan of the bobbed safety, so I put a new standard one in.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. B_RAD

Jan 2, 2008
    NW AR
    Hey man, I'll give my opinion on this but please don't be offended as this is just MY OPINION. I don't like the 1911 in any other format other than .45 acp government length for a carry gun. I have a .38 super gov Colt, I've never fired it so can't comment on it. I've also had an officers sized colt 80 series, 2 Kimber Pro's (commander'ish) as well as an early Nighthawk Custom Enforcer commander sized. The colt had problems with the factory mags but once I went to wilson mags it was 110% after and accurate for a cheapy colt. The only other one that had problems was the first Kimber Pro I had but. This was resolved after going back to Kinber for work on the external extractor(I'll never buy another 1911 with an extrenal extractor again. Unless it's a S&W). Now I don't have any 1911's other than a few in government sized. The gun was designed around that caliber so I feel that it's the most reliable out of the box. The .38 super is roughly the same overall length so I've heard that helps with reliabilty. If I'm not mistaken the 9mm 1911 use .38 super mags with an insert since the 9mm is shorter. I don't know if that could be a potential problem but I feel that some factory mags that come with 1911's are the weak link. So, I'd make sure I buy something like Wilson mags, though I've heard that Wilson 9mm mags were somewhat problematic in the recent past. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy or even CC another non-gov .45 1911 but it wouldn't be a Kimber. I love the 1911 and it's my favorite pistol but as far as CC pistols go I'm a Glock guy. Though, even Glocks have been said to have problems lately with the extractors and late 3rd gen and early 4th gen (9mm). So, whichever you choose I'd say make sure you test it with you carry ammo at least 200 rnds before considering it reliable enough to carry.

Just my two cents.

Good luck
  7. WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    I had an EMP in 9mm. I had a lot of problems with the gun. Failures to extract, off center primer strikes creating failure to fire, feed problems on loads and bullet profiles that feed in every other 9 I own, etc.

After a few trips back and forth to SA I finally gave up and sold it for a substanial loss after a full disclosure of the issues. The good news is SA has unparalleled support, shipping both ways for each trip in for repair was fully paid and the longest time between having the gun was 2 weeks, pretty amazing CS.

I own a 9mm Kimber Stainless Target (Government sized frame, ramped barrel, etc.). It has been a flawless operator, extremely accurate, feeds anything I throw at it. Good luck finding what you want.
  8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    IMO, if you want the BEST 1911 in 9mm for CC, range or whatever you want to do with it, it's the DW Guardian. I'll put mine up against most any of my semi-customs when it comes to accuracy all day long. And it's been 100% reliable. The aluminum bobtailed frame makes it GREAT for CC. And 124+P Gold Dots coming out of a 4.25" barrel mean business. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  9. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    I have an Officer's Model 1911 by Llama in 9mm. Yep, it was cheap but that thing fed anything I put through it and after 1500 it's still going strong.

So I would say, yeah they hold up fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. B_RAD

Jan 2, 2008
    NW AR
    If I do buy a non .45 1911 for CC it will be this one. I think Buds has one right now for $1427. If I wasn't wating on a No Name I would probably forget everything I just said in my previous post and buy one. I'm a big DW fan!
  11. glock_19guy1983

Sep 8, 2002
    Magazines are the achilles heel of 9mm 1911s. Ive had great luck with Tripp research and metalform and terrible luck with wilsons, which is odd because ive been using wilsons in my 45s for years without problems. You really should look into a 4"barrel or longer if its going to be mostly a range or IDPA gun. I have a full size Aegis and I LOVE IT. Its accurate, light weight and low recoiling compaired to my TLE.
  12. Clusterfrack

Apr 26, 2012
    Pacific NW
    +1 for the DW Guardian. FWIW, I have an EMP .40, and it's highly reliable with the "right" ammo. Some EMPs (and 1911s in general) need to go back to the factory for a tuneup before they are ready for duty. It's just the nature of the beast, and if you want a 100% reliable gun right out of the box, I suggest an HK instead. Springfield and DW have outstanding customer service, and will return your "problem" gun quickly and better than new.
  13. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    :rofl:You wouldn't go wrong with the DW Guardian in 9mm for sure. :cool:
  14. tcabend

Jan 16, 2012
    Hhhmmm well I was leaning towards a CCW that I could carry IWB so the 3 inch barrel was what I was interested in and call me cheap but I like the idea of 9mm because of the cost. I will definitely look into the DW Guardian and maybe change my mind and get a 45 acp I'll probably end up getting a 45 anyway so why not now.........Thanks for all the good info!
  15. rock185

Dec 5, 2001
    tca, another .02 worth. I have owned 1911 type guns in several different calibers over a lot of years. I much prefer the full sized guns myself, but found the 4.25" barreled Commanders I owned to be very reliable. I would consider "sub compact" to be 1911 type guns with barrels less than 4". The two Colt Officers Models I had some experience with, 3.5" barrels I think, suffered from chronic malfunctions. One with feedway malfunctions, the other with extraction failures. My brother's 9MM EMP had all kinds of issues as received, but after warranty repairs, it is a totally reliable and quite impressive little gun. I do believe though, that as you go down in size, especially below the 4" guns, reliability is more problematic.

Since many 9MM 1911 guns now use the ramped barrels, the reliability problems with 9MM in 1911s seems to have been solved. I have Springfield, Kimber and Dan Wesson 1911 type 9MMs, using the ramped barrels, that are totally reliable with any ammunition I put in them. I continue to hear good things about the DW Guardian in 9MM. I mostly use the MetalForm "Front ramp" 9MM magazines, but the factory Dan Wesson/Checkmate and Kimber magazines have worked fine too. Strangely, with Wilson's reputation for quality, their 10-round 9MM 1911 magazine is the one I have most frequently read of having reliability issues... ymmv
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  16. Deriffe

Dec 8, 2011
    St Louis
    I picked up a Rock Island Armory 1911 in 9mm to plink with. Great shooter and I can drive tacks with it at the range. It's a good gun to practice with for mechanics since 9mm is a lot cheaper than .45 ammo. BUT, when it comes to actually carrying I stick with my STI Guardian in .45. I guess it's all about what YOU feel comfortable with.
  17. Golddog

Nov 26, 2003
    Parkton, MD
    If you want a small cocked and locked 9mm, you might look at the CZ Rami. Mine's quite reliable (9mm Ramis have a better reliability reputation than small 9mm 1911's); it's accurate and holds 10 rounds plus one in the chamber - 14 plus one with the extended factory mag. It's only 25 ounces unloaded.

I spent extra $$$ to have mine converted by CZ Custom to SAO, so now it has a trigger that rivals any 1911, but the factory SA pull isn't bad, either.
  18. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    I have 1911s in .45 ACP, 9mm and .38 Super, but I own no 1911s with a barrel length less than 4.25 inches. It has been my personal experience that no 1911 with a barrel length less than 4 inches is reliable.
  19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I have great luck with 9mm Mec-Gar mags in my Colt Combat Commander.
  20. Bul M-5

Largely unheard of, but a great gun, once it works. I had to tune mine, but it's an older model. They also have an officer's size, and come in 9mm, .40, and .45. Double stack, polymer frame, hardest part is replacement mags, only 1 place in the states that sells em. Fun gun though, and it's not 2 grand for an STI.