19 or 34? With IDPA in mind.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jason400, Dec 22, 2012.

1. G19 for sure, my hands are way to big for a 26, awkward
    sized grip. And what the point if you use a +2? Your almost
    the same as a 19 with less barrel

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 clarkz71, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. The 34. In fact my new G34 will be coming home in just a few short days. It isn't much larger, if at all larger, than a full-size 1911 and many people carry those concealed either IWB or OWB.

A plan to eventually get both is very sound since the magazines, holsters and mag carriers you use for your larger Glock 34 will work with the G19; you'll technically never have to buy anything specifically for the 19 again once you have the 34.

Good luck and be sure to post up letting us know what you go with and pics are always nice!

3. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

In competitive shooting, sight radius is your friend.

That said, we have one new IPSC Open Division shooter who shoots a G19C and puts to shame many veterans using posh 1911 raceguns.

It is more a matter of the Indian than the arrow, in competition and in self defense.

4. Or get the 34 and a 17 slide. That will serve the same dual purpose. I just bought a 34 last week and shoot it great. I was holding 2 inch groups at 10 yards out the first time I shot it, and I am by far nowhere near the accuracy of a competitive shooter.

5. It's hard to beat a 17. Then get a 26.

6. After discovering the G34 I have no idea why someone would want a G17. The G34 balances better and weighs~1 oz more.

7. For me, personally, it was just the opposite, the G34 felt awkward and I could not see why anyone would want one when they could have a G17, which, for me, balanced better.
    Just a matter of personal choice .... no right or wrong :whistling:

8. Hey LeMat,

You going to shoot IDPA @ the BF range this year?

9. If you are only using it to shoot IDPA, buy the 34. There are more IDPA Masters via the Glock 34 than any other gun out there.

10. Buy both, but if only one go with the 19.

11. Keep in mind the idea behind IDPA, one of them being to use the gun you will carry as you go about your daily business. That being said, we all know it's a game and the better gun for that game is the 34. If this new gun is just going to be your competition gun, definitely go with the 34. The longer sight radius will really help. Interesting note; division capacity is 10 rounds and one in the chamber with the first mag, second mag 10 rounds. An old hold over from the 1994 ban. Start with the 34, going with the 19 and switching later will throw you off, besides you might not be able to get one if you wait.

#31 Sensai, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  12. If you can only have 1 gun, then the 19 makes sense. As you say CCW and competition.

If you can only have 2 guns, two 19's make sense. 1 for CCW and 1 for beating the snot out of in competition, and your skills transfer perfectly.

But you may find you want the smaller 26 for CCW. You could go with a 26 now, and eventually a 17 or 34. Or two 26's :)

There is no wrong answer. It really depends on what you want to focus most on. I carry a 26, and specifically bought a 17 for IDPA. I use my 26 in competition a few times, to keep up on carry skills. But the 17 is a much better range and competition gun. I got it over the 34 because it is also a better home defense gun and can be carried easier (just my opinion).

But if competition is the main focus, then go for the 34. I've shot a friend's 34 and while a 19 or 17 can compete with it, and the shooter is more important than the gun, the 34 will give you every bit of that last ounce of psychological advantage from the extra sight radius. Yes the physical sight distance, but also knowing you've got the best gun you can get for that competition.

But you can still do well with a 19 :)

13. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

G34 for sure.

14. do you already own a gun or a glock? if so, then use it for idpa for a while, see if you really like the game or uspsa and then get the 17 or 34...

you can do pretty well with a 19.. but if you really want go deep into the game, the 34 is the path.

many good shooters or people who is in game "mode" like better the 17...some other people prefer the 34. you can go with the 17 and wont have any problem or disadvantage

the main advantage of the 34 is shooting at 25+ yards, or maybe in uspsa, with some shots beyond 25, 30 yards, the 34 could be more accurate..

and you can shoot some low reloads or minor factor reloads to help with the recoil/muzzle flip...

remember it is the Indian, no the arrow...

15. G34 !
    It was designed & built for IDPA.
    I carry mine too, sometimes.

You probably already got a carry gun.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire