close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

19 or 23 ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Castello Dunhill, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Castello Dunhill

Castello Dunhill
    Expand Collapse

I just picked up my Purchase Permit from my local Police Department, and I'm all set to buy my first handgun!

Now, the tough part is deciding on a Glock 19 or 23. For personal reasons, I will only be able to have one gun at this time, so I want to make the right choice.

My initial thoughts are leaning towards a 23 with a Lonewolf 40-9mm conversion barrel. Seems like it would be the best of both worlds.

I will be getting my conceal and carry permit next month, and plan to carry it daily after that.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. flw

flw
    Expand Collapse

Using a conversion barrel (I did the same thing) keeps practice costs down, as 9mm is always less than shooting 40.

You will still need to practice with 40 cal but most of that can be done in 9mm, Now using a conversion barrel does not make your g23 a g19. Why? the ejector and extractor are not positioned exactly the same so reliability is not the same.

If you go with the G23 and conversion barrel, use it only for 9mm cheap practice. Only carry what your gun was designed to reliably use.

If you are concerned about the 40 being a bit too much than stick with the 9mm. Its rounds on target that matter not the size of the hole you didn't make with a larger caliber.

3. Slackinoff

Slackinoff
    Expand Collapse

Get the 9mm and shoot the hell out of it. I was spending too much on the .40s&w so I switched to 9mm. Shot placement is more important than caliber choice.

4. Dooger

Dooger
    Expand Collapse

Just get the 19......IF you can find one. Good Luck, it's a tough market right now. May as well place an order at this point.

5. danattherock

danattherock
    Expand Collapse

I prefer the 40 S&W myself. If cost of ammo is a big deal, get a Dillon 550B and make your own. Just bought a Glock 23 today. A gen 4, it came with three mags. Threw on a Hogue slip on as I put them on all my glocks. Also mounted my Streamlight TLR-1 light. Very nice gun.

As for buying another barrel, my vote is for a KKM stainless replacement for the stock in 40 S&W. Got one for my G20 (10 mm) and it was amazing to me how much more accurate the gun was. A better barrel than the Lone Wolf in my opinion and it was a true drop in barrel. Some require fitting.

Also, if doing a 40 to 9 barrel conversion, you may have issues with the 9mm cycling the gun. I heard the gen 4's have stronger springs, if this is true, more so of a possible issue. Then there is the magazine fitment issue, I am not certain, but you may need to buy mags for the 9mm rounds to run in the conversion barrel. Don't know much about it, but some things for you to look into.

I personally favor the 40 S&W over a 9mm for many reasons. The only thing I would change about the Glock 23 is dropping a high quality KKM barrel in it. Then perhaps reload affordable 40 S&W rounds to go in it. 25 cent trigger job perhaps. Depending on what your intended use is.

[​IMG]

#5 danattherock, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  6. thesilverbullet

thesilverbullet
    Expand Collapse

if u plan on spending alot of time at the range - i'd recommend the 19. if not, get what ever u prefer because u want be buying alot of ammo. i would recommend a 30 or 30s for carry.

7. John_NJ

John_NJ
    Expand Collapse

I was going to write something similar and I agree. I have both 9mm and .40 but gravitate towards packing up the 9mm when going to the range. I usually find 9mm is $3/box cheaper than .40 for practice ammo. It starts to add up quickly!

Go with the 9mm. That was my first firearm as well. You will not regret it.

8. AR15 guy

AR15 guy
    Expand Collapse

I own both and recommend the 19 hands down. It is easier to shoot quickly, it's accurate, and it's a freaking glock 19.

9. soflasmg

soflasmg
    Expand Collapse

Try both and see which one you shoot best.

I prefer the 19 for the following reasons.

1) Ubiquitousness of 9mm
    2) Faster follow up shots
    3) Rounds like Winchester 127 grain ranger plus p plus make it an effective round
    4) High mag capacity
    5) less wear and tear on pistol than .40

10. Scrappy

Scrappy
    Expand Collapse

Having to get a permit to purchase and conceal carry, those 2words don't go together. In any state ive heard of that makes you get a permit to buy a handgun those states dont allow carry. Unless something has changed?
    As far as the others saying to shoot 9 mm and carry 40, Im one for carrying what you practice with and are proficient with!!!!
    With that said get the 9mm.

11. up1911fan

up1911fan
    Expand Collapse

I favor the G19 for most of my handgun need's.

12. tonyparson

tonyparson
    Expand Collapse

I'd get the G23. You can get a 9mm conversion barrel and you can get a .357 Sig barrel and shoot 3 calibers out of one gun.

13. Castello Dunhill

Castello Dunhill
    Expand Collapse

Yes, in my State you either have to have a permit to purchase, or a Conceal and Carry permit that also doubles as a permit to purchase. I chose to get the Permit to Purchase so that I can buy a gun for my Conceal and Carry class that I'm taking next month.

19 or 23 is still a tough call, there are definitely pros and cons to both. But if you could honestly only have one, which would it be?

14. Deadduck

Deadduck
    Expand Collapse

I own both, but if I could keep just one it would probably be the 19. It is easier to shoot and control in my opinion, and holds 15 rounds.
    If you're a new shooter, 9 mm will be easier to learn to shoot well.

#14 Deadduck, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  15. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I much prefer the G19.

16. todd_g

todd_g
    Expand Collapse

I say go for the 23, I have a 27 and 23, the 40-9 conversion barrel I bought is for the 23 stock length, I us the barrel in both pistols, I do have a bunch of G19 mags but my G23 and G27 mags load and cycle 9mms just fine. I have never had an issue firing 9mm's. Besides right now there seems to be a bit of 9mm hoarding going on, I always see stacks of 40s&w.

17. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama
    Expand Collapse

I would go 19 between the two.

18. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity
    Expand Collapse
    Giggity-Goo!!!

19. cooldawg69

cooldawg69
    Expand Collapse

Can't go wrong w/ Glock 19

20. flw

flw
    Expand Collapse

I just bought some range ammo for my g23. 180 gr FHJ cost 16.99 box of 50.

Much cheaper to get a 9mm and spend more time/money on training. Less on ammo.