19 or 17 which 9

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 3one5, Oct 10, 2012.

1. For me the 19 is an odd size that oesnt fit my hand well. I love the 17 and 26 however.

If you have small hands you may feel the exact opposite.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 17 for me, because the bottom of the 19 digs into my palm, but it seems like the 19 is the better one for you.

#22 DFin, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. I agree with your sentiment. The majority of armed Civilian self-defense scenarios are pretty much resolved within 3's (3 feet, 3 shots, 3 seconds) and most of the rest only greater slightly in distances, time and round counts , but there are many documentated civilian defense cases of multiple assailants, longer range engagements and perps taking multiple rounds and still keep fighting or attacking and you must consider these scenarios as well.
    A 5 shot j-frame is adequate for the vast majority of civilian as well as LEO use of deadly force situations and a great contact distance close quarter weapon, but cops carry high cap autoloaders for a reason and we are around and might have to engage the same perps they do and IMO are wise to follow suit in choosing hardware. If someone thinks that the possibility is so low that they will have to engage an assailant at farther than room distances and that higher on board round counts aren't necessarily then they might as well be carrying a Scandium J-Frame and be done with it(many do just that). But, if someone is deciding between a G17 and a G19, I would say that person feels the small light revolver or even the Micro auto's are inadequate and they are saying that they will gladly deal with the heavier weight and larger size of a functional combat sidearm, then why let a miniscule amount of size deter you from picking the gun you can run the best.
    Most people simply draw and shoot a 17 better than a 19 and why you see 17's used at competitions and very few 19's. I have little to no interest in sport shooting, but some skills and gear do carry over. Also don't overlook the draw itself and the ability to get a full solid grip.Most men will say they can simply get a much better grip on the 17 than the smaller models as well as better overall handling and quicker more stable mag changes(not highly likely in Civvie self-defense, but never know).
    I would gladly deal with the slightly larger size of the G17 to gain all the practical functional advantages, because if I were in a real life and death self-defense situation, I want the gun I can handle and shoot the best.
  4. I also have the CM9 for Summer EDC and old faithful 27 for Winter EDC. As far as the 17 and 19 question I would definetly say the 19 for the simple fact that if you wanted (with your frame) could carry it and it has the 3 finger grip for range/target grip.
  5. 17 all the way. It's the original Glock. It shoots like a dream. The 19 is great but it is more of a comprimise gun. If it's going to more of a range/hd gun, the 17 is the clear winner in my mind.

Although, if you do want to carry it, the difference between the two is neglible, however I feel that the difference becomes more noticeable. The grip fits the hand perfectly and it's about 1oz. If you really really like it (you will:cool:) and you want to carry a Glock, the G26 is where you begin to notice a difference.

Now the dilemma comes down to which flavor of 17 you want. Perhaps the an OD or FDE colored frame? RTF2 with gillies? Gen 1 classic? There are many choices of Glocks and them some, even they really do kinda look the same.
    #25 Rustin, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  6. For me, G19 all the way. The G17 size just doesn’t feel right in my hands, and I shoot the G19 just fine, all the way out to long distances (100 yards). There is no reason for the G17, since it's harder to conceal, offers negligible increases in velocity, and a tiny increase in sight radius. As was stated above, add a G17 magazine if you need to, or carry one as your spare and get the best of both worlds.
  7. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

The G19 is my favorite go to gun.
  8. G17 or G34.

You said this would be for home defense and range - the G19 gives you NO advantage over the G17 or G34 in these roles...

With that said, you need to rent and shoot both then get back to us...

FWIW, I owned a 26, 19, and 17 - I sold the 19 as it just didnt fit... G26 is perfect CCW and G17 is perfect HD/Range/SHTF.
  9. 3one5

Wow you guys shire are a lot of help. I will go to the store this weekend and hold both. I think I need the gen4 for the reduced handle. But I'll try both. If the gen3 feels good then I can rent a 17 and 19 at my range and shoot both. After all you help I'm now leaning towards the 17.
  10. I own both. I prefer a 19 for carry due to the grip not printing as much. That might be easily corrected with the correct holster but currently I don't have one (it's in transit) so I can't say definitely. The increased sight radius is nicer on a 17. In a perfect world I'd have a G17 upper on a G19 lower. I think that would be the right combo. One of my guns is getting modded right now to kinda be that gun. It's a G17 with a grip reduction to allow G19 magazines. The sight radius I like with the option to use more magazine choices. If your range has both in the range box shoot about 100 thru each (or more). When I was buying a new one with my GSSF coupon I did that. I consistently shot the G19 better. I frequently carry a Commander sized 1911 so that might have something to do with it.
  11. I have big hands so i would like a G17 lower and a G19 upper.Even with the finger humps taken of the 19 its still about 1/4 inch too short for my hand
  12. i'm itching to take my 17 out shooting after reading this thread
  13. if it was me and i already had a EDC i would go with the G17, however that's because I'm more comfortable with it. If you like the size of the G19 then go with that. what ever is more comfortable for you will be better in the long run. if you spend enough trigger time behind the gun there shouldn't be an issue.
  14. jw38

19, 19 and the 19. You'll be happy. I personally like my 19's with the Glock -connector (3.5), extended mag release and the extended slide lock along with the Glock/Trijicon white dot (steel version) front sight.
    Practice, practice and practice some more.
  15. Get the model that you feel fits you. I would at a bare minimum hold both, but the recommendation to shoot at least 100 rounds through each is a very good idea. I know my preferences on Glock sizes, but what fits me may not fit you.

Don't discount a G34 if the primary use is home defense and range use.

Good luck, I am sure you'll be happy either way you go, but find what is best for you!
  16. I honestly think you'll be happy with either one. I currently have a 19, but if I had to choose a favorite 9mm Glock... 17 hands down.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    S&W 10-5 .38spl Snub Nose
    Winchester 1300 Ranger 12 Ga.
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
    Savage 24 O/U - .22LR/410
  17. G34 !
    Best range & home defense gun.
    Right out of the box it has a better trigger than the other Glocks.
    Exact same size as the G17, except a longer barrel & sight radius.