185gr or 230gr hollow point for glock 30s

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Glock3819, Jun 28, 2013.

1. I'm not saying it would for sure, but the 230gr round doesn't exactly move real fast from a short barrel. I always worry about proper bullet expansion. Of course, +P would help that.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. anyone care to comment on the difference in shooting +P and standard velocity recoil wise???

I use Speer Gold Dot 230GR standard velocity but would not feel any issues with any of the other big name cartridges...I like the original 230GR for my .45ACP duties (and am required for duty currently) but have to admit I am curious about velocity loss causing any issues in the shorter barreled pistols I have (P245 and G30 Gen4)...

Bill

3. If I can ever find it, I'm thinking probably 185gr +p for the G30SF, strictly as an SD/HD round.

Thanks,
    AK

4. If you want real world advertised FPS UNDERWOOD AMMO has been right on the money or higher in my 32. This is why I'm asking is anyone has tested them in a .45. I don't have a .45 yet that is why I'm trying to figure out what would work better in +P.

5. First as suggested, whatever you can find. That said my guess is that there would be little statistical difference between current offerings in Gold Dot, HST, Ranger, etc.

#25 Bruce M, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  6. Out of a G36? not much. I'd say about like 165 gr. vs. 180 gr. .40 out of the G23.

You'd only notice if you had both at the same time to compare, and in a fire-fight? You could mix'em and never notice.

The Federal 230 gr. +P HST makes the G36 a SD/CCW Wonder. Compact, light wt., slim, and no ballistic compromise.

Nutter

7. sorry...I should have specified...I meant within the same pistol the differences in +P and non +P .45ACP...both 185GR and 230GR loadings...

Bill

8. A resounding Amen to that!

9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

OK, out of my little G36, 3.78" stock barrel, using my hand loads of 230gr XTP, I get 907fps @ muzzle.

With Ranger T bonded 230gr +P, I get 840-ish fps.

Both of these are far more than enough out of a 3.78" barrel for SD.

I would never in a million years drop the weight in a 45auto and sacrifice the momentum and weight of the 230gr.

The shorter barrel on a 45acp, is not as crucial, or detrimental, in the results obtained on target, as are other calibers.

800fps + with a good JHP in 230gr out of a 45acp is a heck of a good load in any length barrel. I have NO control issues with the Ranger P+, or the hot 907fps hand loaded 230gr XTP.

I can shoot fast and stay on target, and am more than pleased with the velocity of both hand load, and factory Ranger T 230gr. Just can't see the need to drop to anything less to gain speed and loose momentum, when I can shoot 230gr at 840-ish fps at least, with a good factory load like the Rander T bonded.

MY 2cents. :supergrin:

CanyonMan

10. I've got to agree. I don't carry a .45 because I'm hanging my hat on velocity.

11. 200gr +P or 230gr +P. Accept nothing less in .45 acp.

12. Out of my Gen4 G21, the Underwood 230gr BJHP's are a little more accurate and have a better POA/POI than the 185gr, but both work well.

13. I keep 200grn +P Gold Dot in my G30 but also carry 230grn in HSTs or Gold Dot also. I'm pretty confident in all those loads.

14. Or, just to 230gr FMJ and shoot until the threat stops. :supergrin:

15. barth

barth six barrels

I run 230 gr +P Winchester Ranger T-Series or Federal HST in my 45 autos.
    These loads both have outstanding street records.
    And are near match grade accurate in my HK and Sig handguns.
    Both are high tech rounds that will expand reliably out of a short barrel.

Speer GDHP Short Barrel 45 is a fine round also.
    It's specifically designed for short barrels and only comes in 230 gr.

#35 barth, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  16. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfqM3grAiyI&feature=youtube_gdata_player"].45 ACP SHORT BARREL TEST: 230 gr +P Federal HST - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

17. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWW2Y-IZpyE&feature=youtube_gdata_player"].45 ACP Federal HST 230 gr Ammo Gel Test - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

#37 TayMan, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  18. What? The mighty HST .45 ACP +p only made...

11 7/8"!!!! :shocked:

It's a POS that didn't make 12"!!! This round will get you killed!! Never accept less than 12"!!! Never mind it expanded larger than a teacup!!

SARCASM :cool:

19. OldSchool64

Platinum Member

Generally speaking, I agree. But I still end-up using what would be classified as middle-weight +P's.

For instance... I load my G30 with Gold Dot 200gr +P's

20. Shoot both and then pick the one that feels better, because you will probably prefer one over the one recoil-wise. Ballistically though I prefer 230gr.

I think standard pressure 230gr is fine in a G30.

#40 cowboy1964, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013