close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

180Gr FMJ Load Used iN Glock 20 with 6.61 LWD Barrel

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by PerfectShooter, Jul 22, 2012.

1. PerfectShooter

PerfectShooter

Jun 21, 2012
    Today I got out and shot my glock 20. I have the lwd 6.61threaded barrel and a 24lb recoil spring. My Load data goes as follows 180gr Berrys Fmj, with 11.8gr of bluedot powder, CCI 350 Primers, and star line brass. OAL 1.255 chrono results was as follow 1397 as my highest and 1373 as my lowest out of 10shots. Then also did a water jug test and blew through 4jugs will try six next time bullet went to deep in ground to retrieve. Also i used same exact powder and load just switched primers to WLP and got 50-75 fps less i am going to increase the load with the WLP and post the results later this week. Dont feel i have enough play room using the CCI 350 Primers. But i have a little of wiggle room using the WLP. The Recoil is less using the WLP Primers

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho
    I was unaware Berry's was offering FMJ's now, might have to check that out.

11.8grs is a mighty stout load. How did the brass look?

3. gofastman

gofastman

Jan 29, 2010
    MN
    There is a button to the right of the "M" on your keyboard, you should learn to use it.

4. PerfectShooter

PerfectShooter

Jun 21, 2012
    There were no bulges or smiles on the brass, the primers were not flattend either.

5. Yondering

Yondering

Dec 3, 2011
    PerfectShooter, you'll need a lot more than 6 water jugs to recover that bullet. Try twice that many, maybe.

Are you getting any kind of accuracy with that load? My experience has been those bullets are no good for accuracy above 1000-1100 fps.

6. PerfectShooter

PerfectShooter

Jun 21, 2012
    I ran out of time did not get to shoot paper, just the jugs and through the chrono. Bad storm hit area before i could shoot on paper. I will shoot for accuracy by the end of the week and post results.

7. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks for sharing your info PerfectShooter. Those are some pretty stout velocities!

I want to point out an important correction to your thread title. Berry's are NOT FMJs, and should not be treated as such. They are plated bullets that consist of soft lead bullet with a thin plating of copper. They are sort of in-between a cast lead and fmj bullet. Plated bullets are designed for lower cost plinking and shooting games. They are not constructed for pushing velocities.

Pressures will generally be higher with plated bullets, and Berry's recommends loading to no more than the mid ranges of recipe data for full metal jackets or excessive pressures might result. Alliant's load data ranges from 10.0 grains to 11.0 with a standard primer. That would translate to a max for a Berry's plated bullet of 10.5 grains. 11.8 grains is 1.3 grains beyond that. Add to that a magnum primer, and you are most likely dealing with a pretty hefty pressure situation. This is not the bullet type to keep pushing beyond where you are now, in my opinion. I don't think there is much wiggle room. 11.8 grains is already 8 tenths beyond any book data you'll find for FMJs -- and, again, Berry's are not FMJs.

As Yondering mentioned, I would doubt that groups are satisfactory. Having shot a few thousand of them myself, I have not seen any sort of dependable accuracy beyond 1050 fps. Pushing these bullets can also result in pretty bad barrel leading.

8. PerfectShooter

PerfectShooter

Jun 21, 2012
    Thanks For the info. I will be changing bullets to speer TMJ and see what i get. Also i did not see any significant forms of pressure (i.e no smiled brass or flattend primers) but i would not shoot this load out of a stock glock barrel because of there lack of case support.

9. PerfectShooter

PerfectShooter

Jun 21, 2012
    I noticed that the WLP does not have enough Blast to ignite all the powder in 11.8 gr or 11gr of bluedot so i am going to load 9gr and see if it has enough to ignite all the 9grs. And i will post Results by end of the week.

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Hey amigo... AS Tater and others here have mentioned, and are right about the berry's, and everything else...

I tried the plated stuff waaaaay back when I first started with the 10mm, and they are just not for the loads your using, which are the same loads and powder I am and have been using as well. Standard primer CCI #300 only n these, is a wise idea.

I do reach out a dash more than you on the loads.

But PLEASE DO NOT try this yourself. What works for me may NOT work for you *****

If you don't go to HC bullets, the Speer Jacketed is a good bullet you have choosen. It will 'take more' than will the Berry's plated.

Anything you are wanting to "push" in the 10mm, or "other caliber" for that matter, and your not using hard cast.... Good rule is go to Copper jacketed bullet. ;)

Good loads, and they do pack a good punch down range with the right bullets. I mostly use all HC stuff in the 21 BHN,and sometimes 18 BHN (Hardness) range. I have over the years had extremley good accuracy with these BD loads and those Hard Cast AND 180/200gr XTP's as well. The Speer should work well for ya.

I know BD has a fireball, but I do not hunt at night, and even when shooting varmints, (if that is hunting, plus I 'only' do it when needed here) I have never fell on the ground blind ! haha. Let us know how those Speer work out for ya pard..

Keep up the good work ! ;)

CM

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  11. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Interesting. I am curious about what you are seeing that indicates an insufficient burn. Are you getting unburned flakes? Inconsistent velocities?

I have never had an issue with ignition for Blue Dot except with downloaded charges.

Just curious, more than anything.

12. Yondering

Yondering

Dec 3, 2011
    I'd like to know why you think this too. Never had this issue myself, WLP's work just fine with Blue Dot. You know some powders leave granules of ash in the bore, and this is normal, right?

13. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho
    I use mainly WLP with my Blue Dot loads and have never had any issues with combustion. For sure, at 11grs no problems whatsoever.

This may be a total misdirection, but a guy on another forum seemed to be having some issues with poor combustion using Winchester primers. Not sure if he found the root cause. I had postd to him that I had seen some poor workmanship issues lately with WLP's but had written it off as maybe a new guy learning the ropes on the production floor. My problems have been confined to mechanical issues like out of spec cups, cracked cups on hot loads, etc.

I sure hope it is not a issue with WLP's, because I have a boat load of the little devils.

14. Yondering

Yondering

Dec 3, 2011
    Willy, You should contact winchester about those primers. I had 2 bricks of WLP's that were made during the last ammo shortage, that were cracking cups with hot loads. Winchester replaced them for me.

15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Hey bud, do you have any lot #'s for those ? Or an approx time / year something when ya got those ?

I got some been sittin here for about three years... Was that about the time you got yours ?

I may have to call WW myself. 99% of my primers are all CCI, but I do have some of the WW's as well.

Appreciate it man,

Stay safe !

CM

16. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho
    I will go down and see if I can figure out which batches I was having my most recent problems, at least maybe isolate it to a year I bought them. I have a lot of sleeves down there (5K each) and have not been very organized about any kind of FIFO style inventory management. The specific ones I was having problems with are all loaded up and the sleeves, boxes and trays are all thrown away, so no definitive answer that way, I wish I were more organized, but if I had to guess the problem ones were manufactured in the last few years.

I am pretty sure the guy that was reporting the semi-squib results was using fairly new primers as he was a noob loader. I have not seen this kind of a result since I quit trying to download H110 in my .44RM's... ;)

17. Yondering

Yondering

Dec 3, 2011
    Yeah, about 3 years ago is when I got these; 2009-ish. The lot number was CBL327G. They seemed to work fine for 45 ACP, but about 1/3 of them would crack the cup in 10mm loads, causing some gas cutting on the breech face of my slide.

Winchester was real good about it; they had me send in a handful of them loaded in empty brass for their testing. They sent a delivery guy to my house with the shipping label and everything, all I had to do was put them in a box. A couple weeks later they called and refunded me the cost of them.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  18. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Hey thanks amigo... That's about the time I got mine a few years back If I remember correctly. I'll check them out .

Appreciate it.

Stay safe.

CM

19. PerfectShooter

PerfectShooter

Jun 21, 2012
    When cleaning out my barrel i could see the blue specs and other specs of propellant in there original form.

20. Yondering

Yondering

Dec 3, 2011
    That sounds like either you have bad primers, or lack of case neck tension, or something. That does not happen with good loads using standard primers and Blue Dot in the 10mm. Switching to magnum primers would be a band-aid fix; something else is wrong.