close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

18 yr old carry

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by wvboy, Apr 24, 2012.

1. wvboy

wvboy

May 26, 2011
    WV
    Hey Mas,
    Thanks for taking the time to talk to us, just read "GLOCK" The Story of America's Gun, was glad you were mentioned in it. I just turned 18. I want to start carrying open in the city where I live when I walk with my grandfather at night, he has no ccw license. I talked to a LEO in the city and he said as long as it's visible, and I don't enter certain buildings etc., the usual stuff, I'm okay to carry. But having never done so away from private residence, such as on a friend's farm, I don't really know how to approach it. I want to do it, but don't know how to go about it. What's your adivce and thoughts.

Thanks again,
    wvboy

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    wvboy, I'd go in this order:

1. Take training in when you can and can't carry a gun / use deadly force in your state.

2. Get a good snatch-resistant holster and drill with it until using it is second nature.

3. Get some training in retention of the gun against a determined snatch attempt. As recent events have repeatedly shown (see Carry Issues here), it can happen to an open-carrying "civilian" as surely as it happens to openly-armed cops and security guards.

Good luck. Stay cool, stay educated, and be safe. Thanks for providing companionship and security to your grandfather.

best,
    Mas