18" Shotgun for skeet shooting

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by 4095fanatic, Feb 9, 2013.

1. No hate from here and you are right about upsetting those people that think they can buy skill with their high price shotguns.

I still remember some guy that out shot us all in five station sporting clays with a 410 Mossberg pump. He put all 25 of his shells in his jean pockets and saved his empties in his back pocket. The only thing high dollar item was his Winchester AA ammo.:cool:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I've done it many times with good results.

It's not quite as easy to point consistently as a 32" O/U, and not quite as quick, but I've never felt terribly disadvantaged.

If you're just looking to spend an afternoon having fun, there's absolutely no reason why you can't do it. If you're looking to get competitive, you'll find yourself wanting a more skeet-oriented gun.

3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Longer barrel means longer sight radius and more weight for swing thru.
    Try it and see then try a longer barreled gun, world of difference. :supergrin:

4. Yep, and stocks too.

5. I think all those saying shooting clays with shorter barrels is hard, are full of baloney.

Here is what I suggest, and it ties in with another poster. Get a Remington 870 Turkey which has a 21" barrel and rem chokes. Put a modified choke in it and add a +2 or +3 mag extension. Then, your good for defense or sporting use. You will not have any problem scoring hits with that 21" barrel. Another option would be a Mossberg 500 youth with 21" barrel and screw in chokes.

6. I have shot my 535 with the 22" Turkey barrel a few times. I prefer the 28" or 26" or whatever it is.

And yes - a 22" Turkey gun with mod choke is not a bad all-arounder period!