close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

18.5" 5+1 vs 20" 7+1

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by CTfam, Feb 14, 2010.

1. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Feb 19, 2006
    Paradise
    Like the one you're holding in your avatar? :supergrin:

2. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Feb 19, 2006
    Paradise
    Hell yeah. My only beef is that the mag release is still kind of a pain but oh well. My buddy just got an 870 w/ Spec Ops. Great gun but even that safety location isn't the greatest.

The BEST shotgun controls is on the Benelli Super Nova Tactical. With a pistol grip you can index the safety and mag release. It's probably the coolest pump I've ever seen. (minus the HUGE plastic forend)

I'll get one someday but I already have Mossberg extras ready to go.

3. Minnow

Minnow

Jan 13, 2006
    Techas
    I had a 20" 590 and swapped it for a 18.5" 590. It makes a difference to me. The latter is a more compact and balanced package.

4. Like this one:

[​IMG]

Ok that's not an 18.5" barrel.

This one:

[​IMG]

5. For use in the home defense role, I prefer the 18" hands-down. IME you get a lighter, easier to maneuver firearm that will take care of pretty much anything you need done. It doesn't take much to slip a couple of extra rounds into the tube if needed.

6. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Feb 19, 2006
    Paradise
    Now that's a classy looking shotgun. :thumbsup: No frills with some nice wood. I like that a lot. It's refreshing to take a break from black plastic from time to time.

7. It's got one hidden frill.

The barrel is a contract over run heavy walled barrel with screw in accu chokes.

Heavy walled barrel on the left, factory 28" Vent Rib barrel on the right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  8. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I agree the old school wood furniture is much better feeling than plastic and it just look classy and cool. Looks like something a 70's cop would have in his cruiser. Very nice 500! I'd buy that.

Do they make a mag extension for the 500? To make it flush with the barrel and give you +1 shot?

9. No,

The way the 500 barrel attaches to the mag tub prevents an extension being put on. You either go with the 5+1 shot 18.5" barrel or the 7+1 shot 20" barrel.

10. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    The thing that really bugged me about the plastic furniture on Mossbergs is that there's no checkering on the grip, which sucks if your hand gets sweaty. I think that's why so many 500 owners keep looking into pistol grip stocks. Remington has the checkering, as well as the wooden Mossbergs.

11. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Feb 19, 2006
    Paradise
    Woah, I was just posting how I was PISSED that Buds Gun Shop was sold out of the short barrel 88s and what do you know??? They're back up for $191 now. :supergrin:

I'm going to give it a shot.

I will keep my 500A and I wouldn't mind putting some wood on that piece. Have one classy looking shotgun in the safe. VAFish did you put that wood on there yourself?

12. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I've seen the wooden ones in a local gun shop once or twice, the 18.5" at least. I think they're just made in limited quantities.

13. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Feb 19, 2006
    Paradise
    On another note, if I may...

I was roaming around the gun shop today and was looking at a Browning BPS. Anyone have experience with these? Man that gun looked slick as hell with no ejection port. I think it was 5+1 with a 20" barrel? It ejects out of the bottom and has a top mounted safety (think mossberg).

My buddy was looking into a HD weapon and was asking me for advice. (I'm the local gun nut.) He is not a shooter and would probably only come to the range a few times a year. Also, has no pistol permit. I told him you can't go wrong with a pump shotgun. Only thing is... He's LEFTY. His wife is normal, I mean right handed. :kidding: So I'm thinking this would be the perfect weapon for them. Reliable, simple controls, powerful, affordable, etc. Throw a limbsaver on it and fill it with reduced recoil 00 buck and he's good.

Just a thought.

14. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I've looked into the Brownings. They seem to be right on par with Remington/Mossberg/Benelli and for southpaws are a good replacement for the Ithaca 37. Harder to find accessories than for Remington or Mossberg, IF he's planning to pimp it out.

15. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Feb 19, 2006
    Paradise
    Yeah I figured that. I see they aren't into "tacticool" stuff over at Browning. They are a sporting goods company. Honestly, I don't see my friend as a gun guy. I've brought him to the range once in all these years. I doubt he's going to get into pimping it out and staring at it every night. (Like me) :cool:

Probably just pick it up. Hit the range with wifey a few times and then stick it in the closet. Stock set up would be fine. I'm sure it would last him a lifetime.

I've never tried shooting lefty but I can't imagine it's fun with those shells flying past your face. Maybe it's not a big deal.... :dunno:

16. No it came with a 28" vent rib barrel, it's the hunting gun. I bought the 18.5" barrel as a close out from Havlin Sales.

17. acftmech

acftmech PatrioticMember

Mar 30, 2004
    virginia
    What he said:[​IMG]

18. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Jan 19, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    i have a mossberg 18.5 my buddy has a 20 inch. i just dont like that it is so freaking long....i like the shorter one(thats what she said)

19. longbowshooter

longbowshooter

Nov 17, 2005
    SE PA
    May I recommend a roll of black friction tape.

20. Spen84107

Spen84107

Feb 17, 2003
    SLC, UT
    I owned a 20" 7+1.. and couldnt' stop thinking about the 18" 5+1.. so I got rid of the prior and bought the latter. Now, I can't stop thinking about the 20" 7+1.

My solution?

By both. : )

But really. Grass is greener on the other side. Both have their advantages, and i'm not sure there is an adequate argument could really justify the purchase of one or the other.