close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

17 or 19 for Wi CC

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Filhar, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Filhar

Filhar
    Expand Collapse

OK, I'm a revolver guy. Hobby is Cowboy Action Shooting. Wisconsin is getting aConcealed Carry, so I want something bigger than my LCP/laser and my snubby. Went to my favorite gun store and was turned on to a 17 with 3 magazines for $450. Hardly used, can hardly tell it's been shot. LCP will be in a Mikas holster, and snubby will go with me occasionaly. 17 will be truck gun and CC in a crossbreed Supertuck. Held a 19 and it just doesn't feel that much smaller. Am I missing something? is a 17 to big to carry?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to Glocktalk

Congrats to Wisconsin for its pending carry law

Look into an rtf2-framed Glock, that way you'll be able to use it as a cheese grater

3. MandPdude

MandPdude
    Expand Collapse

I have both. I would prefer the 19 for CC (I'm also in Wisconsin). I have a Galco King Tuk, and it conceals both pistols well, I just like the way the 19 feels.

4. emore

emore
    Expand Collapse

I think you'll find many people here that carry G17s and larger. It depends mainly on your body type and what you're comfy with when it comes to what to carry. I carry a G27 in a Galco paddle holster and have never had any trouble. The options you mention would be a lot less noticeable than my setup. I'd advise you to go with whichever you like the best and can get the best deal on.

5. GNiner

GNiner
    Expand Collapse

Lots of people carry 1911's. The G17, while a little thicker than a 1911, is still shorter in the barrel and grip dimensions. The grip length usually determines what will "print". That's why some people choose the G19 over the G17 - the grip length is 1/2 inch shorter. Doesn't sound like much but it can poke through when you bend over or something depending on your clothing options. Your clothing and holster choices determine whether you can make the G17 disappear. Good luck and welcome to the fold Wisconsinites!

6. ihaveaglock17

ihaveaglock17
    Expand Collapse

i conceal carry my glock 17 with no issues, i am 5'11 about 180 i wear dress pants long sleeve shirt and tie for work, i use a belly band holster or i get a shorts with a string, i clip the gun on the shorts, tighten that string and put on my clothes as per normal, it does not slow down my draw and no1 has busted me as yet.

7. Riflemanz

Riflemanz
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to use my G19 with laser for CC.

8. Lior

Lior
    Expand Collapse
    GUNS=FREEDOM

It's an individual thing. You have to weigh of the carryability versus the shootability for yourself. For close quarters protection, the G19 is outstanding and easy for most people to conceal.

Having owned and carried both, in civilian, service and sporting scenarios, it is my experience that the G17's "delta shootability" outweighs the G19's "delta carryability", so I now carry the latter. But it depends on your hands, your eyes, your mind, and your figure.

And congratulations for your soon to be gained freedom.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I'd definitely go w/ the 19. Get a good holster, a good belt, and you'll have no troubles with it. I carry a 23 and love it.

10. RRTX11

RRTX11
    Expand Collapse

I purchased a Glock 17 for carry and IDPA competition. After 6 months with the 17, I thoroughly enjoy shooting it and have 12K rounds through it, but I picked up a 19 just for carry purposes. The 17 is concealable, the 19 is more comfortably concealed IMO. I use a IWB Glaco Summer Comfort for both, and a safari OWB for the 17 in IDPA. Although the 17 can reach a little farther with accuracy, if there ever was a need to defend self or family it would most likely be inside of 20 ft, and the 19 is just as effective if not more at that range. Both are great guns.

11. Sharky7

Sharky7
    Expand Collapse
    Boomshakalaka

Definitely 19....maybe even consider the 26. Glock 17 is too big in my opinion for concealed carry, especially if you are used to a smaller revolver.

12. Filhar

Filhar
    Expand Collapse

The higher capacity 17 is for home, car, and CC when I am dressed to conceal it.

13. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I carry a G17 totally concealed, no holster, and I'm 6'0" and 235 lbs.

14. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

G17 was my daily carry gun up until I picked up my g23 a couple of months ago. Still carry the 17 occasionaly.

The 19 will be a little easier to conceal but they both require the same cover garments.

15. Veedubklown

Veedubklown
    Expand Collapse

I wanna see this. Show me how you pocket-carry you G17 in hammer pants.

6 months ago I was 205lbs, at 5'10. Now I'm 165, while I can carry a g17 IWB and it's not that noticeable, I have to wear a really baggy shirt, or a under-shirt. The grip pokes out a little. I carry at about 8 o'clock (lefty)

16. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

While I actually prefer the Glock 26, I'd pick the 19 due to it being more compact.

17 will work but the 19 is a real nice size.

Deaf

17. Jason D

Jason D
    Expand Collapse
    INFRINGED
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem

I have carried a Glock 17 on and off for the last decade.
    A good belt and a good holster are important for carrying one.

I never had a problem with it's size and heft.
    However I am currently entertaining the thought of buying a G19.

18. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker
    Expand Collapse
    Urban Redneck

For me, my G19 is my "big" gun. I prefer the G26 for CC. Nearly same stopping power, just in a smaller package.

It comes down to personal preference. Unfortunately, unless you have a friend with one you could try out for awhile, you won't really know which one you like more until you try them both.

For CC, I prefer the smaller one when given the choice of two comparable guns. And my shooting is virtually identical with either gun. Wisconsin (like Kentucky) allows open carry, so printing isn't an issue for you.

I'd say go to a gun store with both, and try them both in your holster and a typical piece of clothing and just choose the one you like more. Simply ask: would I be happier with gun A or gun B if I had to wear one home right NOW? And trust your first instinct...it is probably the right choice for YOU.

(p.s. EXCITED as heck about WI cc law....can't wait for it to go into effect)

19. dhkaiser

dhkaiser
    Expand Collapse

The attached image shows three Glocks on top of one another, A G26 on a G19 on a G34. It shows the difference between the grip sizes which are the main printing issue when CC'ing. The G34 and G17 are the same size Grip.

Attached Files:

20. OctoberRust

OctoberRust
    Expand Collapse
    Anti-Federalist

I'd opt for the 19 personally. It's whatever fits your hands better, I believe the difference in grip is only half an inch. Correct me if I'm wrong though.